Canon Powershot A95 question

Old March 24th 05, 11:17 PM
Joanne

Default Canon Powershot A95 question

I just bought the A95 today. I would really love to use the date stamp
feature, but it appears you must shoot in postcard mode to use the date
stamp. So, in that mode, wouldn't all my pictures be smaller? Is
there a way to use the date stamp on just regular sized shots? What
exactly is postcard mode? Can anyone help?

Thanks,
Joanne

Old March 24th 05, 11:44 PM
BigBird

"Joanne" wrote in message
oups.com...
I just bought the A95 today. I would really love to use the date stamp
feature, but it appears you must shoot in postcard mode to use the date
stamp. So, in that mode, wouldn't all my pictures be smaller? Is
there a way to use the date stamp on just regular sized shots? What
exactly is postcard mode? Can anyone help?

"The camera's new Postcard Date Imprint mode provides a user selectable date
stamp that can be imprinted in the corner of a picture, similar to those
found on 35mm "QD"(Quartz Date) cameras. When selected, the Postcard mode
also deliberately crops the image creating a slightly longer rectangle to
fill a 4 x 6 postcard. When shooting in Postcard mode the camera
automatically reduces the resolution to 1600 x 1200 with fine compression
(an ideal setting for 4 x 6 images with no need for the user to manually set
the resolution and compression). "

http://www.video-direct.com/canon/di...rshot-a95.html

Old March 25th 05, 12:52 AM
Scott in Florida

On 24 Mar 2005 15:17:10 -0800, "Joanne"
wrote:

I just bought the A95 today. I would really love to use the date stamp
feature, but it appears you must shoot in postcard mode to use the date
stamp. So, in that mode, wouldn't all my pictures be smaller? Is
there a way to use the date stamp on just regular sized shots? What
exactly is postcard mode? Can anyone help?

Thanks,
Joanne

Congratulations on your new A95! I just got mine last week.

Page 54 in the manual goes over the postcard function pretty well.

The resolution is locked at a lower number (1600x1200) which makes a
perfect printout on a post card.

Page 55 explains how to turn on the date stamp.

Personally I don't like the date stamp (the information is in the EXIF
data in the jpg anyway). The information is there if you want it
later.
--
Scott in Florida

Old March 25th 05, 04:05 PM
Joanne

Thanks everyone. I had thought a date stamp would be great because
alot of pictures are of my children, especially the new baby. And I
find myself having to handwrite the date on the photos which is kindof
a pain. So, I thought the date stamp would be perfect. But, if it is
going to reduce the resolution, I'll just stick to manually writing the
date. Thanks so much for the info! I hope I like this camera.

Joanne

Old March 27th 05, 10:52 PM
Dave Martindale

"Joanne" writes:
Thanks everyone. I had thought a date stamp would be great because
alot of pictures are of my children, especially the new baby. And I
find myself having to handwrite the date on the photos which is kindof
a pain. So, I thought the date stamp would be perfect. But, if it is
going to reduce the resolution, I'll just stick to manually writing the
date. Thanks so much for the info! I hope I like this camera.

Are you sure you have to manually write the date? Consider that:

1) If you keep the original digital image files, the date information will
always be there in the EXIF information

2) If you get the images printed by a photo lab, they might print the
date info on the back

3) There is software that allows you to print the date on the image or
image border.

For #3, this has been discussed a number of times in this newsgroup, and
a Google groups search should find some recommendations. I don't do it
myself, so I don't have any such software at hand.

Dave

Old March 28th 05, 03:23 AM
Ron Hunter

Dave Martindale wrote:
"Joanne" writes:

[...]

I find the idea of putting a date on the image somewhat like adding a
date across the face of the MOna Lisa. A date on the back, or on the
border is great.

--
Ron Hunter