Rolleiflex image quality?

Old April 18th 04, 06:21 AM
Sam

Default Rolleiflex image quality?

How does the image quality of the 80mm Planar 2.8 in the current
Rolleiflex 2.8GX compare to a comparable Hasselblad/Pentax/ etc. lense?

Does this older design give up anything to the newer designs?

Thanks,

Sam
Old April 18th 04, 06:57 AM
Gearóid Ó Laoi/Garry Lee

We had a teacher in school who used to say...

"Tisn't the pen at all, 'tis the fella behind the pen"

Old April 18th 04, 07:15 AM
Martin Jangowski

Sam wrote:
How does the image quality of the 80mm Planar 2.8 in the current
Rolleiflex 2.8GX compare to a comparable Hasselblad/Pentax/ etc. lense?

Does this older design give up anything to the newer designs?

You may want to read http://www.hevanet.com/cperez/test/fourcameras.html
and be surprised.

Martin
Old April 18th 04, 10:48 AM
Q.G. de Bakker

Gearóid Ó Laoi/Garry Lee wrote:

We had a teacher in school who used to say...

"Tisn't the pen at all, 'tis the fella behind the pen"

And still some pens cover your fingers with ink the moment you touch them,
blot like there's no tomorrow, scratch the paper, etc. while other pens
don't...

Old April 18th 04, 01:29 PM
Martin Francis

"Sam" wrote in message
How does the image quality of the 80mm Planar 2.8 in the current
Rolleiflex 2.8GX compare to a comparable Hasselblad/Pentax/ etc. lense?

Does this older design give up anything to the newer designs?

Doubt it.... it's practically the same as a Hasselblad 80mm Planar, only
with the upside of no mirror slap and the downside of non-TT(taking)L
viewing.

The latter is the main reason I have a 'Blad and not, say, a Rollei Tele and
a Rollei Wide.

--
- Martin Francis

"Two hundred channels, and nothing but cats"
- Jasper

Old April 18th 04, 10:28 PM
Jim-Ed Browne

TTL viewing is great for macro or microscope or extreme long lens
work. For 90% of general camera work it's a frill, and a rangefinder
or TLR is so much quieter and less obtrusive.

The 80 Planar is a good lens. It's nothing super-special. People who
extol German optics forget that the most discriminating optical
customer in the world, Panavision, buys very few.
Old April 18th 04, 10:40 PM
Andrew Price

On 18 Apr 2004 14:28:08 -0700, (Jim-Ed Browne)
wrote:

[---]

the most discriminating optical
customer in the world, Panavision

Source ?
Old April 18th 04, 11:32 PM
Martin Francis

"Jim-Ed Browne" wrote in message
om...
TTL viewing is great for macro or microscope or extreme long lens
work. For 90% of general camera work it's a frill, and a rangefinder
or TLR is so much quieter and less obtrusive.

The 80 Planar is a good lens. It's nothing super-special. People who
extol German optics forget that the most discriminating optical
customer in the world, Panavision, buys very few.

I'm one of the few people in the world who don't stop and think "What would
Panavision do?" before buying a lens.

And as a previous owner of a Yashicamat I am well aware of the pros and cons
of non-TT(taking)L viewing. And I happen to do rather a lot of close-up
work, and seldom use a standard lens- so a TLR would find little use with
me. As a hard-up student, I have little room for cameras I don't use.