Considering Coolpix 5000

Old February 15th 05, 11:47 PM
Larry R Harrison Jr

Default Considering Coolpix 5000

Someone on the Internet at a reputable site is selling the Coolpix 5000 for
$190 shipped, including 2 batteries, 2 chargers, 128 Lexar 12x CF card, AC
adapter, and all box contents except "beginner's" card. I am a former 5400
user, sold it last November to get the Digital Rebel.

Now I do know that the 5400 now can be had for $210 or so after rebate, but
I'm not that good at follow-through with those things; 95% of the time, I
never get around to sending the rebate it. (Nikon LOVES people like me.)
Plus, from what I've seen, the 5000 actually is a very nice model, it just
clips highlights a bit more than the 5000 I'm told (much like 5700 used to,
and I liked most of my 5700 images) and doesn't have as updated menus (like
my 5700), and of course has that nasty-located flash sensor. And its zoom is
3x instead of 4x.

But otherwise, it looks like a good deal, and it would be my second camera
with the Digital Rebel handling most of the "serious" shots. (But at least
the second camera would be capable of "serious" shots too.) I kind of like,
too, that it has a distance readout in manual focus.

Tips?

LRH

Old February 16th 05, 12:12 AM
Volker Hetzer

Larry R Harrison Jr wrote:
[...]

Got one one year ago. Made horrid images of the blue sky. My dealer
suggested to send it in, which I did, but I haven't had the chance to
test it again. Otherwise a really great camera and I'm glad to have
bought it. So, my suggestion is to get one, go somewhere where you get
real dark blue sky (mountains or coast), get prints from a photo shop
(at least 13x18cm) and see whether you like it.

Lots of Greetings!
Volker
Old February 16th 05, 01:39 AM
Gene F. Rhodes

I bought the 5000 when it first came out. Hated it so much I sold it at a big
loss, just to get rid of it. Flash sensor too close to my hand caused the
problem.
Gene http://www.photoprojects.net/index6.html

Old February 16th 05, 02:59 AM
Frank ess

Larry R Harrison Jr wrote:
[...]

I like the look of CP5000 + WA convertor:
http://www.fototime.com/EABCDDAF151720E/orig.jpg
http://www.fototime.com/D375C0FE30A3E6E/orig.jpg
http://www.fototime.com/4BF56DB3D74AE94/orig.jpg
http://www.fototime.com/E10B8EC5B77CDC9/orig.jpg
http://www.fototime.com/847E278F68E9202/orig.jpg
http://www.fototime.com/8378427B2D460E1/orig.jpg
http://www.fototime.com/C8E960C05782FDC/orig.jpg
http://www.fototime.com/BF0C98C6E63F286/orig.jpg

Otherwise it's a reliable, lightweight 5MP camera with good glass, just
the thing for a corner of your photo bag. Larry Bolch has a couple of
years of "pro" work from his, and last I looked, he was still pleased
enough to use it as a primary.
http://www.larry-bolch.com/

--
Frank ess

"Because of the Swiss Cheese nature of everyone's life experience and
education, the Whoosh Bird can drop a load on anyone's head, without
warning." —Albrecht Einstein