Geotagging question

Old October 3rd 07, 10:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bror Johansson

Default Geotagging question

I'm going for a journey during which I will travel through a number of time
zones. For the first time I will bring with me a GPS-logger (and a DSLR - of
course).

Somewhere I have read that it is recommended to leave the camera-clock at
home-time - in order to minimize tagging troubles/mistakes when tagging the
photos after the home-coming. On the other hand, such a practice will have
my photos tagged with times that are not true w.r.to local time.

Anyone having experiences in this matter?

BrJohan

Old October 4th 07, 12:00 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Annika1980

On Oct 3, 5:07 pm, "Bror Johansson" wrote:

Somewhere I have read that it is recommended to leave the camera-clock at
home-time - in order to minimize tagging troubles/mistakes when tagging the
photos after the home-coming. On the other hand, such a practice will have
my photos tagged with times that are not true w.r.to local time.

Anyone having experiences in this matter?

I don't know about the tagging issues, but I always prefer my pics to
show the actual local time where the photo was taken.

Old October 4th 07, 04:33 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Michael Hampton

On Wed, 3 Oct 2007 23:07:54 +0200, "Bror Johansson"
wrote:

I'm going for a journey during which I will travel through a number of time
zones. For the first time I will bring with me a GPS-logger (and a DSLR - of
course).

Somewhere I have read that it is recommended to leave the camera-clock at
home-time - in order to minimize tagging troubles/mistakes when tagging the
photos after the home-coming. On the other hand, such a practice will have
my photos tagged with times that are not true w.r.to local time.

Anyone having experiences in this matter?

BrJohan

Check out a program called RoboGeo. I use it with the logs from my Garmin and
it works great! It suggests that you sync the clock in your camera with the
GPS, but also allows a time offset variable if you forget. You can find it at
http://www.robogeo.com/home/

Michael Hampton
http://www.hamptonfamily.us
http://blog.hamptonfamily.us
Old October 4th 07, 09:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Pete D

"Bror Johansson" wrote in message
I'm going for a journey during which I will travel through a number of
time zones. For the first time I will bring with me a GPS-logger (and a
DSLR - of course).

Somewhere I have read that it is recommended to leave the camera-clock at
home-time - in order to minimize tagging troubles/mistakes when tagging
the photos after the home-coming. On the other hand, such a practice will
have my photos tagged with times that are not true w.r.to local time.

Anyone having experiences in this matter?

BrJohan

Oziexplorer GPS software has this feature, you can download and trial the
software to see if it meets your needs and should tell you what time needs
to be set.

Old October 4th 07, 09:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Pete D

"Annika1980" wrote in message
ps.com...
On Oct 3, 5:07 pm, "Bror Johansson" wrote:

Somewhere I have read that it is recommended to leave the camera-clock at
home-time - in order to minimize tagging troubles/mistakes when tagging
the
photos after the home-coming. On the other hand, such a practice will
have
my photos tagged with times that are not true w.r.to local time.

Anyone having experiences in this matter?

I don't know about the tagging issues, but I always prefer my pics to
show the actual local time where the photo was taken.

With Geotagging though the GPS and the camera need to agree otherwise the
software used for placing the photos at the right place will not work
correctly. GPS's can be set to display whatever time you like, the camera
can be set for any time you like but if they are different then the tagging
will be somewhat off!!

Old October 5th 07, 11:21 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Andreas Schneider

Bror Johansson wrote:
I'm going for a journey during which I will travel through a number of time
zones. For the first time I will bring with me a GPS-logger (and a DSLR - of
course).

Somewhere I have read that it is recommended to leave the camera-clock at
home-time - in order to minimize tagging troubles/mistakes when tagging the
photos after the home-coming. On the other hand, such a practice will have
my photos tagged with times that are not true w.r.to local time.

Anyone having experiences in this matter?

BrJohan

You can also try my Geotag program found at http://geotag.sourceforge.net
It handles time differences between camera and GPS and it's free software.

Andreas
Old October 5th 07, 03:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Pat

On Oct 3, 5:07 pm, "Bror Johansson" wrote:
I'm going for a journey during which I will travel through a number of time
zones. For the first time I will bring with me a GPS-logger (and a DSLR - of
course).

Somewhere I have read that it is recommended to leave the camera-clock at
home-time - in order to minimize tagging troubles/mistakes when tagging the
photos after the home-coming. On the other hand, such a practice will have
my photos tagged with times that are not true w.r.to local time.

Anyone having experiences in this matter?

BrJohan

After reading the previous lists, I think your best option may be to
buy a camera with gps built into it and keep everthing in 1 integrated
unit that shows you position, direction of view, angle of view, etc.
Then, if you want, you can just change the time on the camera to
whatever you want.

Old October 5th 07, 10:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Dave Martindale

"Pete D" writes:

With Geotagging though the GPS and the camera need to agree otherwise the
software used for placing the photos at the right place will not work
correctly. GPS's can be set to display whatever time you like, the camera
can be set for any time you like but if they are different then the tagging
will be somewhat off!!

Generally, the position log data saved by a GPS logger will have the
time stored as UTC. If you're using a handheld GPS that provides a
display and a user interface, you can set the time zone displayed, but
the logged data is still UTC. So the conversion between camera time
zone (stored in the EXIF data) and the always-UTC logged position data
has to be done by the geotagging program.

So, you have to make a decision. You can
1) leave your camera set to UTC all the time
2) leave your camera set to your own time zone all the time
3) adjust your camera's time zone to match local time

Choice 1 means you never have to change any settings, not even daylight
savings time start/end. You never get photos tagged with the wrong
time, and your geotagging works without thought. But all your photos
have EXIF dates that are UTC, so you mentally have to convert to local
time using whatever offset is appropriate for the place and time of year
they were shot.

Choice 2 is only slightly more work; you need to change your camera time
and the geotagging program's offset twice a year (if you observe DST).
Locally-shot photos have local-time EXIF data. And photos shot in other
time zones have incomprehensible date stamps.

Choice 3 means all your photos have local-time EXIF data (in theory).
When you geotag the photos, you have to set the correct UTC offset for
each batch of photos, and have to separate photos from different
timezones into different batches. So it's more work.

Also, in my experience, you need to spend some time fixing the time in
photos that you shot with the wrong time set in the camera. This makes
it even more work than the other two methods.

I currently use #3, but I keep thinking about changing to #1. I don't
look at the EXIF date info that often, so mentally converting it from
UTC isn't a big deal. Always having the dates and tagging right is a
big plus.

The thing that holds me back is that I use Breeze Downloader to sort
the images into one directory per day, and the sorting is done on the
basis of the EXIF data. If I want the directories to reflect
local-time days rather than UTC days, I have to move a bunch of images
manually into the correct directory.

Dave
Old October 10th 07, 07:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
John A. Crabtree

"Bror Johansson" wrote in
:

I'm going for a journey during which I will travel through a number of
time zones. For the first time I will bring with me a GPS-logger (and
a DSLR - of course).

Somewhere I have read that it is recommended to leave the camera-clock
at home-time - in order to minimize tagging troubles/mistakes when
tagging the photos after the home-coming. On the other hand, such a
practice will have my photos tagged with times that are not true
w.r.to local time.

Anyone having experiences in this matter?

BrJohan

I'd strongly suggest you always place your camera on local time and use
software that supports this practice. If you do not do this you may end
up very confused about some of your photos in the future. In particular
this applies if you are traveling through asia/pacific regions where
there might be international date line issues.

One experience I had involved setting the time in one camera, but
forgetting to set it in another camera. I was in Asia and it was new
years week. This was a worst case senario, but needless to say the time
on some of the photos I took ended up being somewhat in question later
when I reviewed them. Not to mention being heavily jet-lagged,
imbibing, or other factors that may influence your ability to reconstruct
your trip from home base.