Affinity Photo for iPad

Old September 24th 17, 11:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital, alt.photography
Savageduck[_3_]

Default Affinity Photo for iPad

On Sep 24, 2017, nospam wrote
(in ) :

In iganews.com,
Savageduck wrote:

On my Mac, not the iPad, Lightroom was not running, so;
Step #1: Open Lightroom: 27.58 seconds

yikes. you have a very slow hard drive.

Yup. It is a 3 TB Toshiba running in my mid-2010 3.6 GHz i5 iMac

for me, it's about 4 seconds cold launch from an ssd. i did not time it
to 100th second accuracy, though.

Well mine would probably be as fast opening if I was using an SSD rather than
spinning rust.

Savageduck

Old September 24th 17, 11:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital, alt.photography
Savageduck[_3_]

On Sep 24, 2017, Eric Stevens wrote
(in ):

On Sun, 24 Sep 2017 13:46:39 -0700, Savageduck
wrote:

On Sep 24, 2017, Alfred Molon wrote
(in . com):

In iganews.com,
Savageduck says...
The actual
merge/pano stitch was probably in the region of 5-8 seconds.

Then what took 1 minute and 41 seconds?

Did you read any of what you snipped from the post you responded to?

Let me remind you, and then I will give you a step-by-step break down.

From ews.com

I hope you are comparing a similar process workflow, not just the time the
merge/pano stitching took. If so I will retime for just that portion of the
test.

Just to be clear. that was for the whole task, which included selecting the
three RAW files from my desktop hard drive, loading them to the iCloud
Drive,
opening Affinity Photo on the iPad, selecting the three RAF files from the
iCloud folder for pano stitching, and completing the crop. The actual
merge/pano stitch was probably in the region of 5-8 seconds.

Now to explain step-by-step:
On my Mac, not the iPad, Lightroom was not running, so;
Step #1: Open Lightroom: 27.58 seconds
Step #2: In LR Library navigate to 2016-12-15 folder: 45.83 sec.
Step # 3: Select the 3 RAF files and export to iCloud: 1 minute 1.96 sec.
Step #4: Complete upload to iCloud: 1 min 13.41 sec
Step #5: Open Affinity Photo on iPad & Choose “New Panorama”: 1 min
24.66 sec
Step #6: Select 3 RAF files from iCloud folder on iPad: 1 min 30.56 sec
Step #7: Start and finish Stitch: 1 min 36.50 sec (so the actual stich time
was 5.96 sec)
Step #8: Complete crop: This time 1 min 40.67 total elapsed time.

There are all sorts of things I could have done to come up with a faster
result, but I didn’t.

Now that isn’t too bad given that was all that was done. You didn’t
mention if you had done a crop, or not, or were just left with the rough
pano.

...and as I said, producing panoramas is not where the bulk of my travel
photography lies.

How did you measure time to 1/100 sec?

Well I probably should have included reaction time between my brain and my
forefinger stopping and starting the stopwatch on my iPhone which displays
1/100 sec.

Savageduck

Old September 24th 17, 11:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Davoud

Davoud:
Stop me if you've heard this one...

Alan Browne:
What I do not support is rental s/w. That's Adobe's new path. If I
were a full time photographer, then I'd go for it. But "renting"
spinning s/w that I don't use for stretches is a stretch.

I never grasped why persons who lease houses and automobiles, who pay
for utilities by the month, who belong to membership clubs, who
subscribe to newspapers or magazines... would draw the line at
subscribing to world-class software.

That one doesn't need it is an incontestable reason, however. Here's
the thing, though: there is no minimum subscription period for Adobe
CC, including the $10 photography plan. A friend, an accomplished
photographer, activates his photography plan for about two months each
year after big photo safaris.

you will say in your entire life.

usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm
Old September 25th 17, 12:02 AM posted to rec.photo.digital, alt.photography
Savageduck[_3_]

On Sep 24, 2017, nospam wrote
(in ) :

In , Eric Stevens
wrote:

How did you measure time to 1/100 sec?

probably by using the clock app on his iphone.

Yup!

Savageduck

Old September 25th 17, 12:34 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
nospam

In article .com,
Savageduck wrote:

On my Mac, not the iPad, Lightroom was not running, so;
Step #1: Open Lightroom: 27.58 seconds

yikes. you have a very slow hard drive.

Yup. It is a 3 TB Toshiba running in my mid-2010 3.6 GHz i5 iMac

when do you get the new imac?

for me, it's about 4 seconds cold launch from an ssd. i did not time it
to 100th second accuracy, though.

Well mine would probably be as fast opening if I was using an SSD rather than
spinning rust.

actually, it would be much faster on a new imac, probably 1-2 seconds
to launch, because the ssd in the latest imacs are not bottlenecked by
sata, as it is on the mac i used to test that.
Old September 25th 17, 12:34 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
nospam

In article , Davoud
wrote:

What I do not support is rental s/w. That's Adobe's new path. If I
were a full time photographer, then I'd go for it. But "renting"
spinning s/w that I don't use for stretches is a stretch.

I never grasped why persons who lease houses and automobiles, who pay
for utilities by the month, who belong to membership clubs, who
subscribe to newspapers or magazines... would draw the line at
subscribing to world-class software.

because until recently, software was not subscription based and people
hate change, even though the change means the software is likely
cheaper (and better).

they're also often grossly misinformed about how it works, mistakenly
thinking that once payments stop, all documents ever created suddenly
vanish, never to be seen again, or that there must always be a high
speed broadband connection at all times.

That one doesn't need it is an incontestable reason, however. Here's
the thing, though: there is no minimum subscription period for Adobe
CC, including the $10 photography plan. A friend, an accomplished
photographer, activates his photography plan for about two months each
year after big photo safaris.

in other words, he can use photoshop and lightroom for just $20 per
year, something which previously would have cost around $800 every
18-24 months if he bought them outright.

that's a rather substantial savings.
Old September 25th 17, 12:45 AM posted to rec.photo.digital, alt.photography
Savageduck[_3_]

On Sep 24, 2017, nospam wrote
(in ) :

In iganews.com,
Savageduck wrote:

On my Mac, not the iPad, Lightroom was not running, so;
Step #1: Open Lightroom: 27.58 seconds

yikes. you have a very slow hard drive.

Yup. It is a 3 TB Toshiba running in my mid-2010 3.6 GHz i5 iMac

when do you get the new imac?

I am thinking of January/Febuary.

Old September 25th 17, 12:53 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Eric Stevens

On Sun, 24 Sep 2017 17:08:21 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article .com,
Savageduck wrote:

On my Mac, not the iPad, Lightroom was not running, so;
Step #1: Open Lightroom: 27.58 seconds

yikes. you have a very slow hard drive.

for me, it's about 4 seconds cold launch from an ssd. i did not time it
to 100th second accuracy, though.

I've got an SSD and from the first click to being ready to edit was
about 13 seconds.

Eric Stevens
Old September 25th 17, 12:55 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Eric Stevens

wrote:

On Sep 24, 2017, Alfred Molon wrote
(in . com):

In iganews.com,
Savageduck says...
The actual
merge/pano stitch was probably in the region of 5-8 seconds.

Then what took 1 minute and 41 seconds?

Did you read any of what you snipped from the post you responded to?

Let me remind you, and then I will give you a step-by-step break down.

From ews.com

[...]

It's a pity it doesn't read to 3 significant figures. :-)

Eric Stevens
Old September 25th 17, 01:13 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
nospam

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

On my Mac, not the iPad, Lightroom was not running, so;
Step #1: Open Lightroom: 27.58 seconds

yikes. you have a very slow hard drive.

for me, it's about 4 seconds cold launch from an ssd. i did not time it
to 100th second accuracy, though.

I've got an SSD and from the first click to being ready to edit was
about 13 seconds.

then something is *very* wrong.

is it connected via usb 2?