Affinity Photo for iPad

Old September 23rd 17, 09:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital, alt.photography
Savageduck[_3_]

Default Affinity Photo for iPad

On Sep 23, 2017, David Taylor wrote
(in article ):

On 23/09/2017 17:09, Savageduck wrote:
[] You are not going to know until you try.
That's the essence of it!

You are correct. That is the essence of it.

I bought the iPad Pro, updated to iOS 11. Loaded it with software I have
used, and software I am learning such as Affinity Photo. I am running all
sorts of road tests, and I know it will do the job because I have tried it.

Savageduck

Old September 23rd 17, 09:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital, alt.photography
Savageduck[_3_]

On Sep 23, 2017, nospam wrote
(in ) :

In iganews.com,
Savageduck wrote:

To start with, the Apple A10X with M10 coprocessor is as fast for my needs
as most laptop/desktop machines, and in some cases faster.

But tablets are optimised for battery life, not performance. When you
quickly browse through hundreds of images, open RAWs for editing trying
out different settings, use panorama software to stitch images - that
all drains the battery quite a lot.

Just for the Hell of it, since I had yet to stitch a panorama with Affinity
Photo on the iPad Pro I thought I should at least say I had done it.

how much battery did it use?

Zip! I started the pano with 100% and ended with 100%.

I have been doing some other screwing around on the iPad with the Camera Roll
and some iOS 11 features since doing that pano, and it is now at 98%.

Savageduck

Old September 23rd 17, 09:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
nospam

In article .com,
Savageduck wrote:

To start with, the Apple A10X with M10 coprocessor is as fast for my
needs as most laptop/desktop machines, and in some cases faster.

But tablets are optimised for battery life, not performance. When you
quickly browse through hundreds of images, open RAWs for editing trying
out different settings, use panorama software to stitch images - that
all drains the battery quite a lot.

Just for the Hell of it, since I had yet to stitch a panorama with
Affinity Photo on the iPad Pro I thought I should at least say I had done it.

how much battery did it use?

Zip! I started the pano with 100% and ended with 100%.

it's not zip. it just means it's less than 1%, possibly less than 0.5%
depending whether it rounds off versus truncates.

I have been doing some other screwing around on the iPad with the Camera Roll
and some iOS 11 features since doing that pano, and it is now at 98%.

yep. battery life is *not* an issue.
Old September 23rd 17, 10:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Alfred Molon[_4_]

In article , Alan Browne
says...
And the size, weight and bulk of it and its power supply. Been through
a two transfer intercontinental flight recently?

Yes, just came back from Malaysia with a 15,6" notebook. The weight was
2kg - not a big deal. The power supply is a small thing.
--
Alfred Molon

Old September 23rd 17, 10:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Davoud

Alan Browne:
I can't speak about Affinity, but I can say that I will never buy an
Adobe photo editing product again.

Stop me if you've heard this one.

If any of the following is true

€ you are a professional
€ you are an amateur
€ your photographs are important to you
€ you have a large number of photographs to manage
€ you prefer doing things the easy way

then you are cutting off your nose to spite your face if you are
boycotting Adobe for some reason.

But‹it's your nose and your face.

you will say in your entire life.

usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm
Old September 23rd 17, 10:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
nospam

In article , Alfred
Molon wrote:

And the size, weight and bulk of it and its power supply. Been through
a two transfer intercontinental flight recently?

Yes, just came back from Malaysia with a 15,6" notebook. The weight was
2kg - not a big deal. The power supply is a small thing.

now compare that with an ipad pro at 477g or an ipad mini at 304g.
then compare which one fits in a jacket pocket.

its power supply is any 5v usb adapter, such as the one you already
have for your phone. in other words, nothing extra to bring.
Old September 24th 17, 04:06 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
PeterN[_7_]

On 2017-09-23 09:56, PeterN wrote:
On 9/23/2017 9:07 AM, Alan Browne wrote:

snip.

Hmm.* 512 GB is quite a lot then.* No issue.* No cloud needed.

When I was traveling I looked into the iPad. Because of my workflow,
it didn't work for me. Remember, I use a high megapixel camera.

What's high?* What size raw file?

On an iPad one could easily allocate 400 GB to photography.* Say 30 MB
per image.* That would be 13000+ images.* Say you cut that in half so
you can do lot's of roadshow editing.* How long does it take to fill
6500 images that are probably worth keeping?

In photography one tends to reduce stuff carried around that is not
specific to photography.* An iPad v. laptop is a no brainer.

RAW size for a D800

Image quality Image size File size*2
FX (36x24)*1
NEF (RAW), Lossless compressed, 12-bit - 32.4 MB
NEF (RAW), Lossless compressed, 14-bit - 41.3 MB
NEF (RAW), Compressed, 12-bit - 29.0 MB

Also, there were times I wanted to do some procession. My laptop had a
17" screen. The iPad also belongs to my wife. Every day I took the days
shooting, and downloaded it onto the Notebook, and backed up to 2
portable HDs. If I did any processing the file size increased.

--
PeterN
Old September 24th 17, 04:30 AM posted to rec.photo.digital, alt.photography
Savageduck[_3_]

On Sep 23, 2017, PeterN wrote
(in article ):

On 2017-09-23 09:56, PeterN wrote:
[...]

....and you also have your D500.
As for me and the iPad with the X-T2 APS-C, 6000 x 4000 files I have this:

RAF (RAW) uncompressed 14-bit = 50.6 MB
RAF (RAW) lossless compressed 14-bit = 21-25 MB

JPEG, content dependant SOOC, = 10.1-15.6 MB

The iPad Pro with 512 GB on board does just fine with those files.

Savageduck

Old September 24th 17, 07:49 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
RJH

On 23/09/2017 17:09, Savageduck wrote:
On Sep 23, 2017, Alfred Molon wrote

snip

The battery gives me 10 hours of portability which slips easily into a
camera
bag, and provides me with all the function I need on the road, and then
some,
all with less weight and bulk than even a notebook PC.

But there is no need to lug around the tablet the whole day, while you
are taking pictures, right? Just leave it in the hotel, or why would you
want to carry it around?

There is no need to lug it around, but if you needed to the bit of added
weight is negligible.

Instead of the tablet you can bring along another lens, a flash or piece
of photo equipment, which improves your photo capture capability in the
field.

With my Fujifilm set up, I have my camera, 4 lenses, extra batteries, some
filters, and a few other goodies which all fit handily into my Domke bag.
Moreover, I could if need be, slip the iPad into the back sleave of the bag.

JOOI, what sort of case do you use for the iPad?

I've had a succession of iPads - wonderful things. But I've never found
a case that protects the iPad without doubling the bulk and adding about
half to the weight.

Of course, we all have a different view of 'protect'.

--
Cheers, Rob
Old September 24th 17, 07:54 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
RJH

On 23/09/2017 20:53, Savageduck wrote:
On Sep 23, 2017, Alfred Molon wrote
(in . com):

In iganews.com,
Savageduck says...

While there is a 12? iPad Pro available, the 10? is the better choice
when it comes to portability. The resolution provided by the Retina display
is superb. I can edit 6000 x 4000 images down to a pixel level if I need to.

Maybe your eyesight is better than mine, but if I have to go through
200-300 images in the evening, a big screen helps a lot. For my
purposes, a 10" screen is just too small. I cannot zoom in and out all
the time. Actually even 12" is too small. I'd like to have at least 14".

snip

To start with, the Apple A10X with M10 coprocessor is as fast for my needs
as
most laptop/desktop machines, and in some cases faster.

But tablets are optimised for battery life, not performance. When you
quickly browse through hundreds of images, open RAWs for editing trying
out different settings, use panorama software to stitch images - that
all drains the battery quite a lot.

Just for the Hell of it, since I had yet to stitch a panorama with Affinity
Photo on the iPad Pro I thought I should at least say I had done it.

To start with I took this sequence of three shots from last year, and from my
desktop, dropped them into an iCloud folder.

I then went to the iPad and opened Affinity Photo - selected New Panorama,
and selected the three shots for stitching. Created the uncropped pano.
Cleaned up the crop so that the image is ready for any adjustments.

Other than picking out the shots on my desktop, the entire iPad pano
stitching operation took less than one minute.

Here is how things happened on the iPad.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/lu9r03r0p97fbju/AAD4Y4UwhMROPrL3oJXs94Txa

Impressive! But those are 1MB files - do things slow up a lot with 30MB
RAW files?

--
Cheers, Rob