4K screens RGB vs RGBW

Old November 27th 17, 10:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alfred Molon[_4_]

Default 4K screens RGB vs RGBW

I was checking a new notebook (the ASUS VivoBook Pro 15 N580VD). Looks
interesting, especially because the price is not so high compared to
other notebook PCs in the same class (core i7 7700HQ, 512GB SSD+1TB HDD,
16GB RAM, 15" UHD screen, fast graphics card etc).

But the 4K screen seems to be only RGBW and not RGB, which according to
a review degrades a bit the image shown on the screen. Does anybody know
more about this RGB vs RGBW issue?

--
Alfred Molon

Old November 27th 17, 11:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Nov 27, 2017, Alfred Molon wrote
(in . com):

I was checking a new notebook (the ASUS VivoBook Pro 15 N580VD). Looks
interesting, especially because the price is not so high compared to
other notebook PCs in the same class (core i7 7700HQ, 512GB SSD+1TB HDD,
16GB RAM, 15" UHD screen, fast graphics card etc).

But the 4K screen seems to be only RGBW and not RGB, which according to
a review degrades a bit the image shown on the screen. Does anybody know
more about this RGB vs RGBW issue?

A quick Google search reveals several sites offering explainations, most
along these lines:

http://visualchillout.co.uk/rgbw-strips-vs-rgb/

Savageduck

Old November 27th 17, 11:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Nov 27, 2017, Savageduck wrote
(in iganews.com):

On Nov 27, 2017, Alfred Molon wrote
(in . com):

I was checking a new notebook (the ASUS VivoBook Pro 15 N580VD). Looks
interesting, especially because the price is not so high compared to
other notebook PCs in the same class (core i7 7700HQ, 512GB SSD+1TB HDD,
16GB RAM, 15" UHD screen, fast graphics card etc).

But the 4K screen seems to be only RGBW and not RGB, which according to
a review degrades a bit the image shown on the screen. Does anybody know
more about this RGB vs RGBW issue?

A quick Google search reveals several sites offering explainations, most
along these lines:

http://visualchillout.co.uk/rgbw-strips-vs-rgb/

I guess I should have added this:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=RGB+vs+RGBW

Savageduck

Old November 27th 17, 11:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alfred Molon[_4_]

In article .com,
Savageduck says...

A quick Google search reveals several sites offering explainations, most
along these lines:

http://visualchillout.co.uk/rgbw-strips-vs-rgb/

I don't think the 15.6" LCD screen of a notebook PC has LEDs for each
individual pixel.
The R, G, B and W things should be (LCD) colour filters in front of
individual pixels.
--
Alfred Molon

Old November 27th 17, 11:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

On 2017-11-27 16:46, Alfred Molon wrote:
I was checking a new notebook (the ASUS VivoBook Pro 15 N580VD). Looks
interesting, especially because the price is not so high compared to
other notebook PCs in the same class (core i7 7700HQ, 512GB SSD+1TB HDD,
16GB RAM, 15" UHD screen, fast graphics card etc).

But the 4K screen seems to be only RGBW and not RGB, which according to
a review degrades a bit the image shown on the screen. Does anybody know
more about this RGB vs RGBW issue?

From a cursory review it does indeed seem such displays (RGBW) are not
as good as pure RGB in terms of colour reproduction. They may be a bit
better in brightness. They are cheaper to make.

This does not seem like a machine a photographer w/should use. OTOH, if
you go look at one in appropriate lighting conditions and find it
acceptable, then that may be sufficient for you.

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/rgbw-201510084189.htm

--
"My Twitter has become so powerful that
I can actually make my enemies tell the truth."
Old November 27th 17, 11:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alfred Molon[_4_]

In article , Alan Browne
says...

On 2017-11-27 16:46, Alfred Molon wrote:
I was checking a new notebook (the ASUS VivoBook Pro 15 N580VD). Looks
interesting, especially because the price is not so high compared to
other notebook PCs in the same class (core i7 7700HQ, 512GB SSD+1TB HDD,
16GB RAM, 15" UHD screen, fast graphics card etc).

But the 4K screen seems to be only RGBW and not RGB, which according to
a review degrades a bit the image shown on the screen. Does anybody know
more about this RGB vs RGBW issue?

From a cursory review it does indeed seem such displays (RGBW) are not
as good as pure RGB in terms of colour reproduction. They may be a bit
better in brightness. They are cheaper to make.

This does not seem like a machine a photographer w/should use. OTOH, if
you go look at one in appropriate lighting conditions and find it
acceptable, then that may be sufficient for you.

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/rgbw-201510084189.htm

This notebook was ticking all the boxes, until I read about the RGBW
issue with the screen.

Which other 15" notebook has a decent 4K screen for image editing?

I would need a machine as fast as possible (which in practice means an
i7 7700HQ or similar processor and a fast graphics card), 16GB RAM or
more, M.2 SSD and HDD for space.
--
Alfred Molon

Old November 28th 17, 05:08 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

On 2017-11-27 23:56, Alfred Molon wrote:
In article , Alan Browne
says...

On 2017-11-27 16:46, Alfred Molon wrote:
I was checking a new notebook (the ASUS VivoBook Pro 15 N580VD). Looks
interesting, especially because the price is not so high compared to
other notebook PCs in the same class (core i7 7700HQ, 512GB SSD+1TB HDD,
16GB RAM, 15" UHD screen, fast graphics card etc).

But the 4K screen seems to be only RGBW and not RGB, which according to
a review degrades a bit the image shown on the screen. Does anybody know
more about this RGB vs RGBW issue?

From a cursory review it does indeed seem such displays (RGBW) are not
as good as pure RGB in terms of colour reproduction. They may be a bit
better in brightness. They are cheaper to make.

This does not seem like a machine a photographer w/should use. OTOH, if
you go look at one in appropriate lighting conditions and find it
acceptable, then that may be sufficient for you.

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/rgbw-201510084189.htm

This notebook was ticking all the boxes, until I read about the RGBW
issue with the screen.

Which other 15" notebook has a decent 4K screen for image editing?

I would need a machine as fast as possible (which in practice means an
i7 7700HQ or similar processor and a fast graphics card), 16GB RAM or
more, M.2 SSD and HDD for space.

Get an external display... Oups! You're an Oly shooter!! Never mind...
--
teleportation kills
Old November 28th 17, 12:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tim Watts

On 27/11/17 22:56, Alfred Molon wrote:

Which other 15" notebook has a decent 4K screen for image editing?

Apple would be definitive really - but Dell do a series of monitors that
are absolutely excellent - 4k and 5k IIRC. We've got some 4k ones at
work used by UX/UI designers and we've had a Spyder calibrator on them
and they are extremely good right out of the box.

Not sure what the latest line of Dell laptops is like for the panels...