Moving up to LF?

Old May 26th 05, 02:20 AM
johnboy

Default Moving up to LF?

If you are thinking of moving up to LF, please see this auction for a
beautiful ready-to-go 4x5.

One of every ten people who looked have put this item on 'watch'. Might be
an interesting auction. Maybe. I hope.

http://elearning.winona.edu/jjs/watched.gif

Old May 26th 05, 05:28 AM
John

On Wed, 25 May 2005 20:20:29 -0500, "johnboy" wrote:

If you are thinking of moving up to LF,

If you're moving to LF then I also suggest you consider 5X7 which has :

1) Almost 2X the area of 4X5
2) The cameras are usually only about 25% heavier.
3) Many lenses that cover 4X5 will cover 5X7.
4) A 5X7 negative is adequate for contact printing.
5) 5X7 enlargers are relatively easy to find in contrast to 8X10.

And of course there are many of us who prefer the 1:1.4 ratio to the almost-square
4X5/8X10 format.

JD - www.puresilver.org
Old May 26th 05, 12:28 PM
johnboy

John wrote in message ...
On Wed, 25 May 2005 20:20:29 -0500, "johnboy" wrote:

If you are thinking of moving up to LF,

If you're moving to LF then I also suggest you consider 5X7 which has :
[... snipped the good stuff ...]

So true, John. When I finally became handy with 4x5 it seemed so _small_,
and 5x7 and 8x10 began to look good.

Old May 26th 05, 07:56 PM
John

On Thu, 26 May 2005 06:28:31 -0500, "johnboy" wrote:

John wrote in message ...
On Wed, 25 May 2005 20:20:29 -0500, "johnboy" wrote:

If you are thinking of moving up to LF,

If you're moving to LF then I also suggest you consider 5X7 which has :
[... snipped the good stuff ...]

So true, John. When I finally became handy with 4x5 it seemed so _small_,
and 5x7 and 8x10 began to look good.

I just wish someone would have told me the same thing 10 years ago when I bought
my first 4X5. Oh it's a good format for commercial work (what hasn't gone to digital) but
when I hold a 5X7 negative up to compare with one of my 5X7's ....... it just isn't a fair
comparison ;))

JD - www.puresilver.org
Old May 26th 05, 09:10 PM
Lorem Ipsum

John wrote in message ...
I just wish someone would have told me the same thing 10 years ago when I
bought
my first 4X5. Oh it's a good format for commercial work (what hasn't gone
to digital) but
when I hold a 5X7 negative up to compare with one of my 5X7's ....... it
just isn't a fair
comparison ;))

John, are we becoming size queens? Can a hetero do that?

Anyway, I was browsing your site and the manual for the D5 comes up 404.

But would you know of a source, other than the spendy MFG, for a replacement
footswitch and cable?

best,
the Other john

Old May 30th 05, 08:13 PM
John

On Thu, 26 May 2005 15:10:50 -0500, "Lorem Ipsum" wrote:

John wrote in message ...
I just wish someone would have told me the same thing 10 years ago when I
bought
my first 4X5. Oh it's a good format for commercial work (what hasn't gone
to digital) but
when I hold a 5X7 negative up to compare with one of my 5X7's ....... it
just isn't a fair
comparison ;))

John, are we becoming size queens? Can a hetero do that?

LOL ! Is that like "Mine's bigger than yours !" ??

Anyway, I was browsing your site and the manual for the D5 comes up 404.

Yeah I gotta get that site fixed back up one of these days. Had someone talk me
out of frames and it's been broke ever since.

But would you know of a source, other than the spendy MFG, for a replacement
footswitch and cable?

For the Chromegatrol ? Greg Blank(http://members.verizon.net/~gregoryblank) might
know. I believe that he used to work for Omega.

JD - www.puresilver.org
Old May 31st 05, 03:28 AM
Gregory Blank

In article , John wrote:

But would you know of a source, other than the spendy MFG, for a replacement
footswitch and cable?

For the Chromegatrol ? Greg Blank(http://members.verizon.net/~gregoryblank)
might
know. I believe that he used to work for Omega.

Yep I did,...& I believe Omega gets their raw materials, cable and
footswitch pedals from Grainger supply. I don't know if or how they
modify those.

Coupled with a wiring diagram from Omega, L.I may be able to put
something together, but I don't know if I would try or buy
the pieces first before looking at what is involved.

If you want to contact Omega Customer Service to inquire
about the diagram the phone in the US is 800-777-6634

to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918