Underwater on a budget

Old March 6th 04, 10:23 PM
nck

Default Underwater on a budget

Any good suggestions for an underwater camera? I run around with a bunch of
fossil-hunters and do a lot of shooting on our trips. As the nice weather
kicks in, we will be doing more trips that involve going to sites that are
only reachable by boat. It would also be nice if I could shoot some of the
submerged fossils we find now and then, plus have my camera protected from
splashes. We are inland and the trips involve rivers, creeks and lakes.
I looked at 'serious" housing for my two Nikon AF SLR's but that's more than
I want to get into. That stuff is for divers...I am looking at casual. I
did see housing from my digital Elph.
Any suggestions?

Old March 6th 04, 11:09 PM
max

"nck"
Any good suggestions for an underwater camera? I run around with a bunch of
fossil-hunters and do a lot of shooting on our trips. As the nice weather
kicks in, we will be doing more trips that involve going to sites that are
only reachable by boat. It would also be nice if I could shoot some of the
submerged fossils we find now and then, plus have my camera protected from
splashes. We are inland and the trips involve rivers, creeks and lakes.
I looked at 'serious" housing for my two Nikon AF SLR's but that's more than
I want to get into. That stuff is for divers...I am looking at casual. I
did see housing from my digital Elph.
Any suggestions?

Have a look at EwaMarine plastic bags, I've used one with a Fuji S2Pro
down to 30 meters - people will laugh and make fun of you, never mind
it works and results can be great. Light weight easy packing, simple maintance,
and as high or higher degree of safety than conventional UW houses because
the air inside is over pressured, water will not enter, conventional houses
will suck the water in if the O rings are not exactly perfect. Which ever
solution you choose, remember silica gel in the bag or house. ;o)-max-

Old March 6th 04, 11:39 PM
Bill Hilton

Any good suggestions for an underwater camera? ...
I looked at 'serious" housing for my two Nikon AF SLR's but that's
more than I want to get into. That stuff is for divers ...

I took a couple of lengthy trips to Australia fishing for giant black marlin in
the PM and snorkeling on the GB Reef in the AM ... I just bought one of the
moderate priced 35 mm bodies that was good submerged to about 20 ft or so, I
think it was made by Canon and cost a bit over $100 (can't remember the exact
model as I left it for the Captain when I finished).

Had a built-in flash (which I think is essential for underwater to color
balance properly) and a pretty good lens, and did a nice job for the money.

Bill

Old March 7th 04, 12:25 AM
Phil Stripling

In article , nck
wrote:

SNIP
It would also be nice if I could shoot some of the
submerged fossils we find now and then, plus have my camera protected from
splashes. We are inland and the trips involve rivers, creeks and lakes.
I looked at 'serious" housing for my two Nikon AF SLR's but that's more than
I want to get into. That stuff is for divers...I am looking at casual. I
did see housing from my digital Elph.

Someone has suggested Ewa plastic bags. I use one with a Nikon CoolPix,
and I'm not happy with it. It blocks the optical viewfinder, so I have
to use the LCD -- and the glare from both the bag and the LCD make the
LCD disappear in many conditions underwater. I still use it, because
like you I want something cheap.

I have a better suggestion. Get a used Nikonos V (the IVa is
acceptable, but somewhat less sturdy than the V. Things inside fail
rather too often, necessitating expensive repairs that can't be done
out in the islands or small towns. If you don't want to spend the
money on a used Nikonos, get a Minolta Weathermatic or Sea & Ski
underwater camera. I've seen used Weathermatice for under a hundred
dollars. Buy from a reputable store and have them warrant that it is
waterproof when you buy it. I've bought used Nikonoses from A B Sea
http://www.absea.net/
for years, and they will test the camera in their pressure tank for me
before they ship it.

I also suggest that you haunt some SCUBA Web sites and see what their
comments are.

Old March 7th 04, 12:26 PM
max

"Phil Stripling"

SNIP

--
Philip Stripling

Hi Philip - I'm using the ewa-marine with a "big" dslr kamera, and it works fine
but I can see how it might be difficult with smaller cameras.I have full access to
the viewfinder, as much as the mask will permit. And with a 17-35afs and a
sb24flash 1GB flash card I have a pretty good setup at 250$. This is the model
I choose http://www.adorama.com/EWUAXP.html .
Digideep.com is a good UW resource, gives you a good view of all the cameras
and uw houses available. ;o)-max-

Old March 7th 04, 08:46 PM
Daniel Taylor

SNIP
[...]

While the Nik V's are nice, they are not that much cheaper than the Ikelite
housings. If you don't mind 2nd hand gear you can pick up a ikelite housing
quite cheap. I paid $350 for one for an Nikon 801 including ports.

I would have a look at the Motormaine IIex which can be picked with strobe
for around $400 on ebay if you are patient. I know a fair number of people
that use them and get decent results. They certain aren't as bulky as a
housing.

If you want snaps in clear water, the Weathermatics are quite good. Although
I know my girlfriends is only rated to 5 or 10 metres.

HTH
Daniel

Old March 8th 04, 01:02 AM
Phil Stripling

In article , Daniel
Taylor wrote:

I would have a look at the Motormaine IIex which can be picked with strobe
for around $400 on ebay if you are patient. I know a fair number of people
that use them and get decent results. They certain aren't as bulky as a
housing.

Just to alert the original poster to a typo, that's Motormarine. :-
See their Website at
http://www.motormarine.com/
and
http://www.camerasunderwater.co.uk/sea_sea/mm2/
has photos of the camera and strobe, with a fairly extensive
description.

If you want snaps in clear water, the Weathermatics are quite good. Although
I know my girlfriends is only rated to 5 or 10 metres.

My understanding from his post is that he's inland -- rivers, creeks,
and lakes, so I _think_ that will be sufficient. If the waters are
muddy, flash will do no good. The Weathermatic has its limitations, but
I think it would cover his needs for a general use camera in and around
water. His comment that he didn't want stuff for divers led me to my
suggestion. I would favor good used cameras, such as the Motormarine or
Nikonos, but it may still be outside his price and need range.

Old March 8th 04, 03:41 AM
Lawrence Akutagawa

wups...joining this thread late. My $0.02 is to pick up a Nikon Action
Touch. If memory serves, it is good to 10 to 15 feet. Comes with a built
in flash. Also great for inclement weather, river running, etc.

SNIP