Kodak shifts focus (WSJ article)

Old September 29th 03, 11:18 PM
David Foy

Default Kodak shifts focus (WSJ article)

I suspect this means the end of R&D in the film department at Kodak. They
ended R&D into black and white something like 15-20 years ago. Slide film
hasn't had any significant work recently, nor has microfilm or x-ray, if the
patent literature is any guide. Nuclear, holographic, and other scientific
emulsions haven't been worked on in years. Special films for surveillance,
aerial imaging, etc. has been old wine in new bottles for some time. My
guess is work on improving C41 now halts.
David Foy

"parv" wrote in message
in message ,
wrote Phil Stripling ...

The Wall Street Journal (http://www.wsj.com/) for September 25, 2003,

has a
page one article stating that Kodak is "yielding to technology changes

that
have made its signature product outdated." Kodak has issued a press

release
saying it will boost investment in nonphotographic areas and will launch

line of inkjet printers.

In a sentence which leaves some room for confusion, the WSJ reports,

"the
company says it will make no more significant long-term investments in
traditional consumer film," making mention of Advanced Photo System as

an
example.

I suppose APS film could be thought of as a ''result of significant
research & development to capture (and possibly hold on to) some
consumer market segments -- of that time, or would be future thought
of at the time -- which were not beholden to 35mm film format''.

Thus, i think, Washington Street Journal might be referring to
Kodak's efforts, or lack of, in developing new film technologies or
improving current ones. (Personally, I think there might be some
improvements, but not very drastic, simply as part of the
maintenance program.)

Well, that's my take anyway, at this time, of your post w/o reading
actual Kodak press release or the newspaper report mentioned.

HTH.

- parv

--
In order to reach me, do away w/ WhereElse in the address.

Old October 1st 03, 02:07 AM
Frank Pittel

David Foy wrote:
: I suspect this means the end of R&D in the film department at Kodak. They
: ended R&D into black and white something like 15-20 years ago. Slide film
: hasn't had any significant work recently, nor has microfilm or x-ray, if the
: patent literature is any guide. Nuclear, holographic, and other scientific
: emulsions haven't been worked on in years. Special films for surveillance,
: aerial imaging, etc. has been old wine in new bottles for some time. My
: guess is work on improving C41 now halts.
: David Foy

How do you explain the new slide films recently released by Kodak if as you say
there hasn't been any work done in years?

: "parv" wrote in message
: ...
: in message ,
: wrote Phil Stripling ...
:
: The Wall Street Journal (http://www.wsj.com/) for September 25, 2003,
: has a
: page one article stating that Kodak is "yielding to technology changes
: that
: have made its signature product outdated." Kodak has issued a press
: release
: saying it will boost investment in nonphotographic areas and will launch
: a
: line of inkjet printers.
:
[...]
: --
: In order to reach me, do away w/ WhereElse in the address.

-------------------

Old October 1st 03, 11:26 PM
David Foy

Much of the work they've been doing on C-41 is applicable to slide films.
The patents and applications they've been filing have focused on ever-closer
control of the size and structure of grains (which could apply to b/w or
color films) and on ever-improved dyes and couplers (which have no
application to non-C41 b/w). They and Fuji have really produced some
remarkable progress in the last five or so years. They have chosen not to
use these advances for their non-C41 b/w line, but as you note, they
definitely have used them for their slide films. What I said was true
strictly speaking, they haven't patented anything specific to slides, but
what you point out is even more true, that they do keep raising the bar in
the slide film world. I appreciate your correction.

David Foy

"Frank Pittel" wrote in message
David Foy wrote:
: I suspect this means the end of R&D in the film department at Kodak.

They
: ended R&D into black and white something like 15-20 years ago. Slide

film
: hasn't had any significant work recently, nor has microfilm or x-ray, if

the
: patent literature is any guide. Nuclear, holographic, and other

scientific
: emulsions haven't been worked on in years. Special films for

surveillance,
: aerial imaging, etc. has been old wine in new bottles for some time. My
: guess is work on improving C41 now halts.
: David Foy

How do you explain the new slide films recently released by Kodak if as

you say
there hasn't been any work done in years?

: "parv" wrote in message
: ...
: in message ,
: wrote Phil Stripling ...