Nikkor 18-200 on a full-frame sensor?

Old March 19th 06, 06:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Default Nikkor 18-200 on a full-frame sensor?

I'm slowly gravitating towards getting either a Nikon D70 or D200 with the
Nikkor 18-200 mm f/3.5-5.6G DX ED VR lens that people are raving about. In
my film days, I almost exclusively stuck with primes, but what I'm reading
about the Nikkor 18-200 is good enough to make me change my mind.

So, the question is, what happens in a few years when Nikon comes out with
a body with a full-frame sensor? Will that wonderful (and expensive) lens
work on a full-frame body? Especially down at the short end, where it'll
be a pretty extreme wide angle?

I'm just getting over the shock of having to write off my 25 year
collection of fine OM/Zuiko glass because Olympus went in another
direction. I don't want to have to do that again if Nikon does the same
thing a few years from now.
Old March 19th 06, 07:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Why would you have to "write off" the OM glass, it seems that any
decent stuff is
bringing respectable prices on Ebay, etc?

Old March 19th 06, 07:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

"Roy Smith" wrote in message
I'm slowly gravitating towards getting either a Nikon D70 or D200 with the
Nikkor 18-200 mm f/3.5-5.6G DX ED VR lens that people are raving about.
In
my film days, I almost exclusively stuck with primes, but what I'm reading
about the Nikkor 18-200 is good enough to make me change my mind.

So, the question is, what happens in a few years when Nikon comes out with
a body with a full-frame sensor? Will that wonderful (and expensive) lens
work on a full-frame body? Especially down at the short end, where it'll
be a pretty extreme wide angle?

I'm just getting over the shock of having to write off my 25 year
collection of fine OM/Zuiko glass because Olympus went in another
direction. I don't want to have to do that again if Nikon does the same
thing a few years from now.

Some say it will cover the FF (film Nikon body) at the longer FLs, however
expect some severe vignetting at the shorter lengths. If FF use is
paramount to you, stay away from the DX Nikkors. There's plenty of them to
go around and with the D200 you get the flexibility to use the full line of
manual focus AIS Nikkors -- with appropriate metering as well
Bob

Old March 19th 06, 07:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

"Robert Brace" wrote in message

"Roy Smith" wrote in message
[...]

Sorry about that folks, but the "them" in my above post is obviously
referring to the "non-DX" Nikkors.
Bob

Old March 19th 06, 07:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Robert Brace wrote:

"Roy Smith" wrote in message

[...]

The 12-24 DX lens is supposed to work up to 18mm on a film body.
Old March 19th 06, 07:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Roy Smith wrote:
So, the question is, what happens in a few years when Nikon comes out with
a body with a full-frame sensor? Will that wonderful (and expensive) lens
work on a full-frame body?

no way, unless you really like extreme vignetting. People are comparing
this lens to other hiper-zooms, which usually are two leagues below
primes. Even if this lens is so exceptional, it's still at least one
league below what you are used to. If I were moving to Nikon and
considering switch to FF (which will not happen in predictable future),
I'd buy only one DX lens (12-24/4). But even if you buy more DX lenses,
you may sell them later on.

Old March 19th 06, 08:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

I doubt that there will be affordable 35mm sensor cameras in the future.
As technology improves the necessity of larger sensors will decrease
(though of course there are physical quality limits) and thus the
relative count of 35mm cameras sold will decrease and thus the relative
price will increase. _If_ Nikon (or whoever in some years) makes a 35mm
digital body it will be targeting the former middle or full format film
customers and ask appropriate prices. Of course the prices of 35mm
enabled lenses will increase in the same way. The DX-type lenses are
cheaper to be built (in the same quality) and smaller and will have a
much higher market share.

-Michael
Old March 20th 06, 12:33 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 13:56:59 -0500, Roy Smith wrote:

I'm slowly gravitating towards getting either a Nikon D70 or D200 with the
Nikkor 18-200 mm f/3.5-5.6G DX ED VR lens that people are raving about.

This seems like a good place to ask a clarifying question. Am I correct in
assuming the 18-200 is the range when on a D200 and there is no multiplying
factor?

Don www.donwiss.com/pictures/ (e-mail link at page bottoms).
Old March 20th 06, 01:16 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Don Wiss wrote:

This seems like a good place to ask a clarifying question. Am I correct in
assuming the 18-200 is the range when on a D200 and there is no multiplying
factor?

The lenses are always stated in actual optical focal length. Always.

Forget about multiplying factors and just learn what the numbers mean in
terms of field of view with the smaller sensor.

--
Jeremy |
Old March 20th 06, 01:20 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

On Mon, 20 Mar 2006, John A. Stovall wrote:

On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 19:33:12 -0500, Don Wiss wrote:

Am I correct in
assuming the 18-200 is the range when on a D200 and there is no multiplying
factor?

No, it got the crop factor which they don't factor in.

In reality it's 27-300 as far as FOV is when used on a baby sensor
like the D200.

Dang. Then to get real wide angle I'd also have to buy the 12-24 lens,
which I gather is really an 18-36 FOV.

Don www.donwiss.com/pictures/ (e-mail link at page bottoms).