My own image manipulator program

Old July 11th 07, 04:15 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Doug Jones

Default My own image manipulator program

Here's a little program that I wrote for myself. It isn't a full blown
commercial product
but I have fun manipulating pictures with it. I hope some folks will try it
and comment here.
No install needed. It's a stand alone program that doesn't touch anything in
your computer files or registry.
Windows XP is the only system I've run it on. I'm not a photographer, just
an old codger now retired who knows how to push bits around in a computer.
You can run and download it from this link:
http://www.douglas-jones.com/ppd.exe

All I ask for it is your critique and sugestions to make it better.

Hve fun,
Doug

Old July 11th 07, 04:27 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
frederick

Doug Jones wrote:
Here's a little program that I wrote for myself. It isn't a full blown
commercial product
but I have fun manipulating pictures with it. I hope some folks will try it
and comment here.
No install needed. It's a stand alone program that doesn't touch anything in
your computer files or registry.
Windows XP is the only system I've run it on. I'm not a photographer, just
an old codger now retired who knows how to push bits around in a computer.
You can run and download it from this link:
http://www.douglas-jones.com/ppd.exe

All I ask for it is your critique and sugestions to make it better.

Hve fun,
Doug

A suggestion that a downloading and opening an unknown *.exe file
accessed via a direct link through a usenet post might not be a great
thing to do.
It might be an idea to link to a web page, which explains something
about the file/program to be downloaded.
While no installer might be needed for a "stand-alone" executable, don't
overestimate users. It's fairly easy to make a windows installer using
inno setup (free), then users are more comfortable with having the
program install with regular shortcuts and uninstall through shortcut or
uninstall applet in control panel.
Old July 11th 07, 04:55 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Doug Jones

"frederick" wrote in message
snip
A suggestion that a downloading and opening an unknown *.exe file accessed
via a direct link through a usenet post might not be a great thing to do.
It might be an idea to link to a web page, which explains something about
the file/program to be downloaded.
While no installer might be needed for a "stand-alone" executable, don't
overestimate users. It's fairly easy to make a windows installer using
inno setup (free), then users are more comfortable with having the program
install with regular shortcuts and uninstall through shortcut or uninstall
applet in control panel.

Thanks Fredrick,For the quick reply.
Of course you're correct about users. I'm hopeing that some computer savy
folks will let me know if it appears useful enough for me to spend time on
it.
If I get some decent reviews I'll do some of the drudge work needed.
As I said above, I'm now in retirement so I won't go to the trouble of
becomeing a known and certified publisher.

Old July 11th 07, 05:14 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
ray

On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 22:15:16 -0500, Doug Jones wrote:

Here's a little program that I wrote for myself. It isn't a full blown
commercial product
but I have fun manipulating pictures with it. I hope some folks will try it
and comment here.
No install needed. It's a stand alone program that doesn't touch anything in
your computer files or registry.
Windows XP is the only system I've run it on. I'm not a photographer, just
an old codger now retired who knows how to push bits around in a computer.
You can run and download it from this link:
http://www.douglas-jones.com/ppd.exe

All I ask for it is your critique and sugestions to make it better.

Let me at the source code so I can compile and run it on Linux, and I'll
take you up on that.

Hve fun,
Doug

Old July 11th 07, 05:28 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Doug Jones

"ray" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 22:15:16 -0500, Doug Jones wrote:

snip

Let me at the source code so I can compile and run it on Linux, and I'll
take you up on that.

Hve fun,
Doug

That would be a daunting task. It's many thousands of lines of c code
and riddled with calls to the ms windows features.

Old July 11th 07, 06:51 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Charles Gillen[_3_]

"Doug Jones" wrote:

All I ask for it is your critique and sugestions to make it better.

Your pink background is a bad choice. And there's no "Undo" function?
Old July 11th 07, 01:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Doug Jones

"Charles Gillen" wrote in message
"Doug Jones" wrote:

All I ask for it is your critique and sugestions to make it better.

Your pink background is a bad choice. And there's no "Undo" function?

I'm open to suggestions about colors. I was trying to get a khali. Perhaps
some of the more artistically incline folks can post some suitable RGB
values.
The closest thing to undo is the 'Discard' button on the top.

Old July 11th 07, 02:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Doug Jones

"BaumBadier" wrote in message
On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 22:55:06 -0500, "Doug Jones"

wrote:

"frederick" wrote in message
snip

Is there any way to change the gradient colors and directions other than
doing a
click-by-click rotation on the whole layer?

There are two palettes, the gradient palette and the general purpose
palette in the
'Edit Picture' menu. Both can be edited by : Edit Picture-Pick Color/Make
Color-
Apply Color.

Snap- Angle-then enter degrees value will rotate to and unit degrees.

Many Thanks for your advice and encouragement.

Old July 11th 07, 03:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Doug Jones

BTW I don't have a wide screen monitor(16:9).
Would appreciate feedback if someone tries it there.
This program is BETA (maybe forever beta) so download frequently.

Old July 11th 07, 04:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ray

On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 23:28:52 -0500, Doug Jones wrote:

"ray" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 22:15:16 -0500, Doug Jones wrote:

snip

Let me at the source code so I can compile and run it on Linux, and I'll
take you up on that.

Hve fun,
Doug

That would be a daunting task. It's many thousands of lines of c code
and riddled with calls to the ms windows features.

The last software I ported was about 1/2 million lines.