Canon 20D or Nikon D70s?

Old November 24th 05, 01:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Default Canon 20D or Nikon D70s?

How these two compare, the price of cannon is slightly higher, but in terms
of quality how do they compare. I am thinking of D70s with 18-70 kit lens
and 20D with 17-85 IS lens. How do the lenses compare? Any suggestion for
better wakl around lenses to go with each? I have heard good things about
Sigma 18-50 and 18-200 lenses.

Thanks

Old November 24th 05, 03:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

In article , perting2002
@yahoo.com says...
How these two compare, the price of cannon is slightly higher, but in terms
of quality how do they compare. I am thinking of D70s with 18-70 kit lens
and 20D with 17-85 IS lens. How do the lenses compare? Any suggestion for
better wakl around lenses to go with each? I have heard good things about
Sigma 18-50 and 18-200 lenses.

Whoever told you good things about Sigma lenses, particularly the latter
is getting paid by them to do so.

The 20D and D70s are in different classes. The Nikon competitor to the
20D will be the D200 which will be coming out in December. At the moment
the D70s should be compared with the 350D and the D70 with the 300D.

For the money the D70s and 18-70mm DX is a very good combo.
--
DD
www.dallasdahms.com
Old November 24th 05, 03:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

"Per Ting" wrote in message
How these two compare, the price of cannon is slightly higher, but in
terms
of quality how do they compare. I am thinking of D70s with 18-70 kit lens
and 20D with 17-85 IS lens. How do the lenses compare? Any suggestion for
better wakl around lenses to go with each? I have heard good things about
Sigma 18-50 and 18-200 lenses.

Thanks

As far as which camera, that's one only you can answer, really. The pixel
count is close, but in favor of the Canon, the noise issue is a wash, the
Nikon is a little better at low ISO, the Canon is better at high ISO. Lens
lines are pretty much equally deep, with consumer and pro lenses both wide
and tele. Canon has more stabilized lenses, but only in the far reaches of
the tele world, both have a good selection of zoom lenses that have
stabilization. If you're going to shoot architecture, Canon offers some
exotic tilt and shift lenses that Nikon doesn't. Some people like the
ergonomics of one over the other, again, that's something best left up to
you.
The Canon 17-85 IS is a better lens, somewhat, but its main claim to fame is
the IS feature, one that the Nikon lacks. But it should be better, it
increases the cost of the kit by about $500 as compared to the Nikon
increasing its kit cost by about $200.
The 17-85 IS probably is the best walkaround lens out there for a 1.6x crop
camera, unless you need more reach. Then I'd recommend the Canon 28-135 IS,
which sells for about $400. And, there, Nikon does have an answer, the
24-135 VR.
I've heard some praise for the Sigma lenses you mention, the 18-50 in
particular, but as far as the 18-200, most of what I've heard is in the
"good for what it is" category, a 10x zoom has a lot of optical compromises,
by its very nature. If you don't want to change lenses, ever, and only
print to 4x6 or just show on the web, it might be sufficient. But, if you
get serious, you may find yourself disappointed. One other thing about
Sigma, there are some compatibility issues with their lenses and subsequent
Canon bodies, at least in the non EX versions. No reported issues with
Nikon, or other camera mfrs.

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

Old November 24th 05, 03:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

"Per Ting" wrote in message
How these two compare, the price of cannon is slightly higher, but in
terms
of quality how do they compare. I am thinking of D70s with 18-70 kit lens
and 20D with 17-85 IS lens. How do the lenses compare? Any suggestion for
better wakl around lenses to go with each? I have heard good things about
Sigma 18-50 and 18-200 lenses.

Thanks

Stay away from the sigma lenses. Vastly inferior.

The 20D is 5frames per second but the nikon is only 3. Not an issue if you
don't shoot sports. A4 inkjet prints won't show any difference between
8.2mp and 6. If you do lots of low light hand held stuff then the Image
stabilised canon lense is good. The Nikon kit is much better value for
money.

Old November 24th 05, 04:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

ian lincoln wrote:
"Per Ting" wrote in message
How these two compare, the price of cannon is slightly higher, but in
terms
of quality how do they compare. I am thinking of D70s with 18-70 kit lens
and 20D with 17-85 IS lens. How do the lenses compare? Any suggestion for
better wakl around lenses to go with each? I have heard good things about
Sigma 18-50 and 18-200 lenses.

Thanks

Stay away from the sigma lenses. Vastly inferior.

Sigma snobbery at its finest.

Compared to the Canon L series, yes they range from somewhat inferior
to no comparison. However, for a user at the D70/20D price level, they
have their place. The 18-200 is great if you want to never change
lenses, but not great if you want to shoot wide open or can't tolerate a
little distortion or color issues.
Generally, the APO Sigma lenses are decent, and a great value for the
money. The 70-200 f/2.8 is an excellent lens, actually holding its own
against the Canon version if it's a good copy. The main difference
between the Canon and Sigma at any particular model (gotta compare
apples to apples), is the Sigma tends to have more variation in quality
from one copy to the next, and lower resale value. But they are decent
step-up lenses.

The 20D is 5frames per second but the nikon is only 3. Not an issue if you
don't shoot sports. A4 inkjet prints won't show any difference between
8.2mp and 6. If you do lots of low light hand held stuff then the Image
stabilised canon lense is good. The Nikon kit is much better value for
money.

The 20D is excellent for amateur sports shooting, a little more so than
the Nikon. It's also excellent for any low-light shooting.

Dave
Old November 24th 05, 04:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

"Skip M" wrote:
One other thing about
Sigma, there are some compatibility issues with their lenses and subsequent
Canon bodies, at least in the non EX versions. No reported issues with
Nikon, or other camera mfrs.

Some Sigma lenses don't fully support predictive AF with some Nikon
bodies. However, many users won't even notice this.

Old November 24th 05, 04:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

"David Geesaman" wrote in message
ian lincoln wrote:
"Per Ting" wrote in message
[...]

Some of Sigma's EX lenses do very well against Canon L lenses.

Old November 24th 05, 05:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

If you are not already invested in a lens line, go to a retail store
and pick up both cameras; buy the one that feels right in your hands.
There is nothing worse than a camera that feels awkward in your hands.
That's what fully decided it for me. Everything else is just a
matter of money. ;-)
Jim

Old November 24th 05, 06:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Per Ting wrote:

How these two compare, the price of cannon is slightly higher, but in terms
of quality how do they compare. I am thinking of D70s with 18-70 kit lens
and 20D with 17-85 IS lens. How do the lenses compare? Any suggestion for
better wakl around lenses to go with each? I have heard good things about
Sigma 18-50 and 18-200 lenses.

Canon has a wider selection of consumer grade lenses but you could
always get sigma or tamron if you want a cheap lens. 20D is a step up
from D70 but add a decent lens and it's quite a bigger price. D70 is the
best value on a budget. Upgrading the lens on a D70 for walkaround with
cost a lot and become very bulky too so look at the Nikon D70 with kit
lens only.
Old November 24th 05, 06:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

ian lincoln wrote:
"Per Ting" wrote in message
How these two compare, the price of cannon is slightly higher, but in
terms
of quality how do they compare. I am thinking of D70s with 18-70 kit
lens
and 20D with 17-85 IS lens. How do the lenses compare? Any suggestion
for
better wakl around lenses to go with each? I have heard good things
about
Sigma 18-50 and 18-200 lenses.

Thanks

Stay away from the sigma lenses. Vastly inferior.

Sigma snobbery at its finest.

Absolutely not. I own a lens. One was enough. Someone else mentioned the
sigma/canon problems. REchipping etc. If you have ever held a brand new
top end sigma lens in your hand and watch the end fall off. Then again
after returning from sigma for repair. Their cheap dx lenses for digital
cameras are the very worst. If you must go non manufacturer brand go tamron
or tokina. Trust me when i say sigma sell most cos dealers like 'em. They
like em cos they are cheaper than the other brands but still have a better
markup not because of any optical or build quality merits.