disassembly and maintainance on mini-tripod?

Old April 7th 08, 09:44 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
bugbear

Default disassembly and maintainance on mini-tripod?

I have a small table top tripod by Nikon

http://s48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...nik_tripod.jpg

which has served me very well. However, it's never
been quite the same since this incident:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.p...38f7afa8981ad0

(dunked in Coca Cola in a back pack :-( )

I would like to strip, clean and reassemble, but I've hit
a snag.

I have managed (not hard) to disassemble it as shown he

http://s48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...tripod_dis.jpg

But I cannot see how to get the actual ball assembly apart.

I can say for certain
that the retaining cap on the ball does not screw
(and thus unscrew) from the base; it seems to simply
fit in a groove, and can be rotated both clockwise
and anti-clockwise indefinately.

Actually, it was cheap enough that I could buy
another, but I *hate* throwing out items
that are repairable, regardless of economics.

All help gratefully received.

BugBear
Old April 7th 08, 09:57 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Noons

bugbear wrote,on my timestamp of 7/04/2008 6:44 PM:

(dunked in Coca Cola in a back pack :-( )

oh bugger! bad luck, Paul.

But I cannot see how to get the actual ball assembly apart.

I can say for certain
that the retaining cap on the ball does not screw
(and thus unscrew) from the base; it seems to simply
fit in a groove, and can be rotated both clockwise
and anti-clockwise indefinately.

weird. can't think of anyway of
splitting the base other than try to
unscrew the cap from it. but do you
need to dismantle? dunk in hot water
for a while, dry with air dryer then
WD40 the lot?
Old April 7th 08, 10:14 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
[email protected]

bugbear wrote:
http://s48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...tripod_dis.jpg

But I cannot see how to get the actual ball assembly apart.

I can say for certain
that the retaining cap on the ball does not screw
(and thus unscrew) from the base; it seems to simply
fit in a groove, and can be rotated both clockwise
and anti-clockwise indefinately.

Possibly a snap fit. It might unsnap with the application of suitable
force (a firm but gentle squeeze of the split sides) - then again, it
might suffer a mortal wound.

But I'd like to see what is underneath - is there no clue down
there..?

Indeed a simple soak in a suitable solvent might be a better solution
(no pun, etc..). As it was Coke, probably just a hot water/alcohol
mix. Or if that doesn't work, lighter fluid (naphtha) is the best
remover of just about anything, and leaves no residue. Use it with
obvious precautions!
Old April 7th 08, 01:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
bugbear

wrote:
bugbear wrote:
http://s48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...tripod_dis.jpg

But I cannot see how to get the actual ball assembly apart.

I can say for certain
that the retaining cap on the ball does not screw
(and thus unscrew) from the base; it seems to simply
fit in a groove, and can be rotated both clockwise
and anti-clockwise indefinately.

Possibly a snap fit.

That's my present suspicion.

It might unsnap with the application of suitable
force (a firm but gentle squeeze of the split sides) - then again, it
might suffer a mortal wound.

Indeed. I was hoping that someone has preceded me,
and could offer knowledge of what's in there.

But I'd like to see what is underneath - is there no clue down
there..?

Sorry - because *I* *know* it's not helpful,
I didn't photograph it. The base has enough machining to retain
the legs, and no other visible features.

BugBear
Old April 7th 08, 01:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
bugbear

Noons wrote:
but do you
need to dismantle? dunk in hot water
for a while, dry with air dryer then
WD40 the lot?

If I cannot dismantle, I will proceed
thusly, but in general, dismantling
leads to more thorough cleaning (*)

BugBear

(*) and parts remaining on the work surface
after reassembly, of course ;-)
Old April 7th 08, 04:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
XxYyZz

"bugbear" wrote in message
[...]

If it doesn't come apart soak it in hot soapy water to remove the cola then
spray it with WD-40 to diplace the water. Since WD-40 is not really a
lubricant you can flush the WD-40 out with solvent and lubricate it using a
proper lube.

Old April 7th 08, 05:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Bob Kirkpatrick

http://s48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...tech/?action=v...

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.p..._thread/thread...

(dunked in Coca Cola in a back pack :-( )

I would like to strip, clean and reassemble, but I've hit
a snag.

I have managed (not hard) to disassemble it as shown he

http://s48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...tech/?action=v...

But I cannot see how to get the actual ball assembly apart.

I can say for certain
that the retaining cap on the ball does not screw
(and thus unscrew) from the base; it seems to simply
fit in a groove, and can be rotated both clockwise
and anti-clockwise indefinately.

Actually, it was cheap enough that I could buy
another, but I *hate* throwing out items
that are repairable, regardless of economics.

All help gratefully received.

BugBear

The bottom was probably "rolled" over the closure plate. This is
permanent and will not come apart. Since this is dried sugar from the
coke, boiling water should do the trick. It will dissolve the sugar
very quickly and when you take it out the remaining water will
evaporate quickly due to the heat. Use tongs and swish it around for
a minute or so. This technique is used to clean fouled, black powder
steel firearms since the boiling water evaporates too quickly to rust
the steel. If you like, you could put some liquid dish-washing
detergent in the water first. This will help with any residual
grease. Repeat until clean. Some lubricant like WD-40 is a
reasonable idea once the hot water evaporates.

Bob Kirkpatrick
Old April 7th 08, 07:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Allodoxaphobia

On Mon, 7 Apr 2008 09:51:47 -0700 (PDT), Bob Kirkpatrick wrote:

Some lubricant like WD-40 is a
reasonable idea once the hot water evaporates.

Once again it needs to be said: WD-40 is _not_ a lubricant. In fact it
is more like a solvent -- best used to clean away old, grimey lubricant.
Once it evaporates, you have nothing going for you in the joint.

For the OP: Work a wee bit of silicone grease into the ball and socket
once you have it cleaned up. Not too much -- you don't want it
migrating to places of an 'optical nature'. :-)

Jonesy
--
Marvin L Jones | jonz | W3DHJ | linux
*** Killfiling google posts: http://jonz.net/ng.htm