[SI] The Final (again) Fate of the Shoot-In

Old March 30th 08, 04:07 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
jimkramer

Default [SI] The Final (again) Fate of the Shoot-In

Hello Shoot-In Fans, Well-Wishers, Despisers, and the Apathetic,

The Shoot-In was developed to "inspire" people to go out and take pictures
around a theme, share them, and discuss them on RPE35mm. There have been
plenty of minor and basically insignificant changes to that format. That
was the intent and I believe that should remain the intent.

The recent Mandates have been IMHO a little weak, but that doesn't mean the
photographer that failed to see anything and didn't submit something wasn't
also being a little weak. The Shoot-In needs better Mandates to work.

The Shoot-In needs a group of active participants that are not involved in
flame wars. That means no matter how tempting it is to call so and so a
stupid %#$&^^^!! don't. Get a Newsreader and use the killfile liberally.
If you don't see it you won't be tempted by it.

For anyone still using Google Groups and Gmail I highly recommend the FREE
news service: http://news.motzarella.org/ Yes, you will need to give them
a real email address, but no one else needs to see it.

For the record I am filtering out all gmail addresses to control SPAM.

Frankly I'm working hard on getting SI burn out, so I'm going to propose
going back to a monthly Shoot-Ins. To do that I need twelve (12) solid
mandates. Send them to S I 1 AT jlkramer DOT net. There should be no
spaces and the obvious errors fixed. And I will need a solid commitment
from people to participate. A clear and concise "Yes, I want to play!"

If this is too much to ask or if people just don't want to participate that's
fine; the PBase account will expire in August and that will be the end of
it...

Jim

Old March 30th 08, 06:02 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Doug Payne

jimkramer wrote:

For the record I am filtering out all gmail addresses to control SPAM.

And for precisely that reason I don't and won't submit. This is from my
work address so I assume you'll see it. What should those of us that use
gmail do, fake the from address to get around your spam 'filter'? That
seems silly, and reduces us to anonymous spammers. There are lots better
ways to reduce of eliminate spam. Try spamassassin. Try NewsProxy.
Old March 30th 08, 06:19 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Jufi[_4_]

Sign me up. I have a few ideas for themes/mandates, and will mail them later
on today.

Old March 30th 08, 06:24 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
jimkramer

"Doug Payne" wrote in message
jimkramer wrote:

For the record I am filtering out all gmail addresses to control SPAM.

And for precisely that reason I don't and won't submit. This is from my
work address so I assume you'll see it. What should those of us that use
gmail do, fake the from address to get around your spam 'filter'? That
seems silly, and reduces us to anonymous spammers. There are lots better
ways to reduce of eliminate spam. Try spamassassin. Try NewsProxy.

I'm talking about the "from" addys for the news group. The actual SI mail
accounts are at this point not even filtered, I've gone to some length to
keep them from being spam botted and if they are I will change the Shoot-In
mail addys. If you are posting to Usenet with a gmail account, don't expect
me to see your post. If you send me an email I will get it.

Jim

Old March 30th 08, 06:34 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Walter Banks

Default [SI] "Yes, I want to play!"

Frankly I'm working hard on getting SI burn out, so I'm going to propose
going back to a monthly Shoot-Ins. To do that I need twelve (12) solid
mandates. Send them to S I 1 AT jlkramer DOT net. There should be no
spaces and the obvious errors fixed. And I will need a solid commitment
from people to participate. A clear and concise "Yes, I want to play!"

Jim,

SI was important to me because mandates meant focussing
creativity with a theme and seeing how others interpreted the
same mandate. I learned a lot.

Add my vote for hard deadlines.

If there was a goal to destroy RPE35mm then they have won it if
wasn't goal there sheer ignorance has almost killed it. The lakehouse
has woodshed out back..

We will see what happens.

Jim, thanks for your efforts.

Walter Banks

Old March 30th 08, 06:39 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Paul Furman

Doug Payne wrote:
jimkramer wrote:

For the record I am filtering out all gmail addresses to control SPAM.

And for precisely that reason I don't and won't submit. This is from my
work address so I assume you'll see it. What should those of us that use
gmail do, fake the from address to get around your spam 'filter'? That
seems silly, and reduces us to anonymous spammers. There are lots better
ways to reduce of eliminate spam. Try spamassassin. Try NewsProxy.

Jim, Newsproxy is working well for me. Huge difference.

I'll think about a mandate.
Old March 30th 08, 09:36 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Doug Jewell[_3_]

Default [SI] I'll play too.

jimkramer wrote:
Hello Shoot-In Fans, Well-Wishers, Despisers, and the Apathetic,

With monthly mandates, I'll play.
Just a request though - can we have some reminders during
the month for those of us with short attention spans :-P
What are the thoughts on advertising the SI to aus.photo,
r.p.digital and r.p.d.slr-systems?

Frankly I'm working hard on getting SI burn out, so I'm going to propose
going back to a monthly Shoot-Ins. To do that I need twelve (12) solid
mandates. Send them to S I 1 AT jlkramer DOT net. There should be no
spaces and the obvious errors fixed. And I will need a solid commitment
from people to participate. A clear and concise "Yes, I want to play!"

I'll email some mandates across shortly, but I do have a
request of mandate suggesters - please consider that not all
contributors have the same geography, weather, or same
weather timing as you. Some of the previous mandates, such
as "autumn", "snow", are not practical in some parts of the
world, unless an archive shot is submitted.
Alternatively - I remember a few times when mandates have
been announced and there has been quite a bit of argument
about the merits of the mandate. Perhaps we could have a
thread here where mandates can be suggested, and the various
merits of the mandates discussed. Jim (or if someone else
takes over administration) could then randomly choose
mandates that get generally positive response, and ignore
the ones that the group thinks are weak.

Old March 30th 08, 10:10 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
jimkramer

"Doug Jewell" wrote in message
jimkramer wrote:
Hello Shoot-In Fans, Well-Wishers, Despisers, and the Apathetic,

With monthly mandates, I'll play.
Just a request though - can we have some reminders during the month for
those of us with short attention spans :-P
What are the thoughts on advertising the SI to aus.photo, r.p.digital and
r.p.d.slr-systems?

I'm alright with that if that is what the people here want to do. Mind you,
I'm not in the mood to deal with a Noons type "Please don't crosspost to Aus
Photo." :-)

Reminders? If the SI isn't on your mind 24-7 until you have submitted your
shot, then there is clearly something wrong with you, perhaps you have a
life or something. :-) I could be coerced to put out reminders especially
if we go to monthly.

[...]

One of the things that I liked when I wasn't the moderator was the surprise
of a mandate, so I'd be moderately opposed to discussion of mandates before
they were posted. However, that means that I will use some discretion
instead of randomizing what I get and posting it.

Old March 30th 08, 10:19 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Noons[_4_]

jimkramer wrote:

For the record I am filtering out all gmail addresses to control SPAM.

Oh boy! Are you filtering out as well all the other
sock puppet addresses from the pool of trolls
that is your pbase site?
That is gonna be a loooooong job...
Old March 31st 08, 01:51 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
[email protected]

On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 11:07:33 -0400, "jimkramer"
wrote:

Hello Shoot-In Fans, Well-Wishers, Despisers, and the Apathetic,

You should get rid of the stupid size constraint... 800 pixels is stupid... I
can't even see 800 pixels on my big stupid monitor...

1280x1024 is good...