Nikon D50 in the works, D200 a hoax

Old February 19th 05, 12:59 AM
Darrell

"True211" wrote in message
Someone posted a photo and specs of what was supposed to be a leaked D200
from Nikon. I just checked the US Patent and Trademark Office for "D200"

and
nothing came up.

However.... grin

Nikon *did* file a TM for the D50 logo on Feb 8, 2005.

See for yourself:

http://www.uspto.gov

The Trademark doesn't have to be filed in the USA. Filing a Trademark in
Japan would still be a protected TM under International Law. They can file
for a USA one at a later date.

Old February 19th 05, 06:01 PM
Darrell

"Dave Busch" moc.seimmud4latigid@eriafresal wrote in message
On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 16:11:11 -0500, "True211"
wrote:

Someone posted a photo and specs of what was supposed to be a leaked D200
from Nikon. I just checked the US Patent and Trademark Office for "D200"

and
nothing came up.

However.... grin

Nikon *did* file a TM for the D50 logo on Feb 8, 2005.

See for yourself:

http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/showfield...ate=1b3qt5.3.1

I looked at the recent TM filings by Nikon and only found the D50, so it

is
unlikely that any other DSLR will be announced any time soon.

If I were Nikon and wanted to keep a D100 replacement secret, what I'd
do would be to register the D200 name in Japan and use a red herring
like registering a D50 in the United States to throw off the folks who
think the USA is the center of the universe.

Nikon has previously registered trademarks in the US *after* the
introduction of the product, so lack thereof doesn't mean much.

Would be nice to see a $599 D50, though.

Even if it's based on the F55 shell, like the current hoax on dpreview.com?
I love that one, the Photoshop artist left the door release visible in the
front view. Good for him that there was no top view.

Old February 19th 05, 06:02 PM
Darrell

"Kevin McMurtrie" wrote in message
"C J Campbell" wrote:

"Sheldon" wrote in message

But, some of the most successful companies don't sit at the forefront

of
technology.

Near as I can tell, Nikon has never tried to be on "the bleeding edge"

of
technology. They had a reputation for conservatism clear back in the

'60s.
Let all those other guys try out new-fangled ideas like TTL metering,
auto-focus, etc. Then pick the best ideas and make them bulletproof.

Come to
think of it, Canon really does a lot of the same thing. I am hard

pressed to
think of any technology that was first introduced by either Nikon or

Canon.

I think Canon is the first to sell astrophotography versions of
pro/consumer digicams.

How many of the 20Da will actually be produced, and at what cost?

Old February 19th 05, 06:09 PM
Darrell

"C J Campbell" wrote in message

"Sheldon" wrote in message

But, some of the most successful companies don't sit at the forefront of
technology.

Near as I can tell, Nikon has never tried to be on "the bleeding edge" of
technology. They had a reputation for conservatism clear back in the '60s.
Let all those other guys try out new-fangled ideas like TTL metering,
auto-focus, etc. Then pick the best ideas and make them bulletproof. Come

think of it, Canon really does a lot of the same thing. I am hard pressed

think of any technology that was first introduced by either Nikon or

Canon.

Odd how the D200 was competitive to the D30, D60, 10D... So now Canon is on
their 6th generation of dSLR during the life-time of the D100. Will there be
a D200, YES! But it may not be called a D200. What if Nikon, tongue-in-cheek
called it the D100 mk.II, AFAIK you can't trademark "mk.II"

As for your other point, the technology often was developed by others. First
OTF metering, was Olympus OM-2. Multi-Coated lenses Asahi/Zeiss co-venture
in the form of Super Multi Coating/T*

Old February 19th 05, 06:10 PM
Darrell

"David J. Littleboy" wrote in message

"C J Campbell" wrote:
"Kevin McMurtrie" wrote:

I think Canon is the first to sell astrophotography versions of
pro/consumer digicams.

Well, if you mean the 20Da they are not selling them yet! :-) I am

really
surprised that Minolta did not get into this market first.

The 20Da is a special-order only camera. Delivery time is 3 months from
receipt of order, and orders are now (as of Feb 15th, actually) being
accepted.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

What's the MSRP, if one can use that term on a custom product...

Old February 19th 05, 06:11 PM
Darrell

"Alan Browne" wrote in message
C J Campbell wrote:

Well, if you mean the 20Da they are not selling them yet! :-) I am

really
surprised that Minolta did not get into this market first.

Minolta use CCD sensors, uncooled of course, so not a good 'sell' for

astro.

Maybe the next model will have a CMOS?

Old February 19th 05, 06:48 PM
Darrell

"Bubbabob" wrote in message
. 3.30...
Woodchuck Bill wrote:

To confuse the hell out of first-time dSLR buyers like myself. I was
set on the D70...then Canon had to drop the XT bomb and now Nikon is
hitting us with this small silver bullet.

They're insane if they stick with that dRebley-looking silver and black
color scheme that just screams 'CHEAP TOY'. I know people who chose D70's
over dRebels just because the Canon was too ugly to be seen with.

If you are referring to the Photoshopped image on DPReview forums
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=12332761

Front view you can see the door release of the F55, the back view you see
the USB connection.

Sort of like the watch in Ben Hur, or the jet vapour trails on Bonanza...

Old February 19th 05, 09:11 PM
True211

Default Nikon D50 in the works, D200 a hoax

Someone posted a photo and specs of what was supposed to be a leaked D200
from Nikon. I just checked the US Patent and Trademark Office for "D200" and
nothing came up.

However.... grin

Nikon *did* file a TM for the D50 logo on Feb 8, 2005.

See for yourself:

http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/showfield...ate=1b3qt5.3.1

I looked at the recent TM filings by Nikon and only found the D50, so it is
unlikely that any other DSLR will be announced any time soon.

http://makeashorterlink.com/?O2EF1248A

I'm confused as to why they would work on a scaled-down D70 before a much
needed upgrade to the D100.

Old February 19th 05, 10:44 PM
ThomasH

True211 wrote:

Someone posted a photo and specs of what was supposed to be a leaked D200
from Nikon. I just checked the US Patent and Trademark Office for "D200" and
nothing came up.

However.... grin

Nikon *did* file a TM for the D50 logo on Feb 8, 2005.

See for yourself:

http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/showfield...ate=1b3qt5.3.1

Indeed, let me though quote it becuase the above URL leads
to expired session only:

[...
Word Mark D50
Goods and Services IC 009. US 021 023 026 036 038. G & S: Cameras
Standard Characters Claimed
Mark Drawing Code (4) STANDARD CHARACTER MARK
Serial Number 78562983
Filing Date February 8, 2005
Current Filing Basis 1B
Original Filing Basis 1B
Owner (APPLICANT) NIKON CORPORATION CORPORATION JAPAN 2-3, Marunouchi 3-chome, Chiyoda-ku Tokyo JAPAN
Attorney of Record Mark I. Peroff
Type of Mark TRADEMARK
Register PRINCIPAL
Live/Dead Indicator LIVE
....]

I looked at the recent TM filings by Nikon and only found the D50, so it is
unlikely that any other DSLR will be announced any time soon.

Canon did the same with their 350D!

Thomas