Comparison of chemical storage bottle materials

Old November 7th 04, 02:07 AM
David Nebenzahl

Default Comparison of chemical storage bottle materials

Anyone got the data on the qualities of various materials for storing
chemicals? A while back someone posted a chart showing the relative
permeability of glass and various plastics, but I can't find it now and am
lazy. (I remember that PET was good, but I'd like to know just how good.)

--
Don't blame Ralph Nader: blame Gavin Newsom.

Old November 7th 04, 03:25 AM
jjs

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
Anyone got the data on the qualities of various materials for storing
chemicals? A while back someone posted a chart showing the relative
permeability of glass and various plastics, but I can't find it now and am
lazy. (I remember that PET was good, but I'd like to know just how good.)

Blown PET bottles are the least permeable to oxygen of the common plastics.
Non-blown PET is good, too. So you would then think that pop bottles might
be good for storage - but the caps are often more permeable than you would
like. Same with glass bottles - be wary of the caps.

But permeability to oxygen isn't a huge issue in darkrooms that actually
_use_ chemistry because it's replaced or replenished regularly.

Old November 7th 04, 06:06 AM
Mike King

You can always put a piece of Saran wrap under the cap before screwing it
down. "Original" Saran wrap is made of a different plastic, vinylidene
chloride polymer, than most food wraps, polyethylene, so accept no
substitutes.

--
darkroommike

----------

Old November 7th 04, 01:14 PM
James Robinson

David Nebenzahl wrote:

Anyone got the data on the qualities of various materials for
storing chemicals?

Here are a couple of threads on the subject:

http://tinyurl.com/6qv4n
http://tinyurl.com/6vgjz

Old November 7th 04, 08:58 PM
David Nebenzahl

On 11/6/2004 7:25 PM jjs spake thus:

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message

Anyone got the data on the qualities of various materials for storing
chemicals? A while back someone posted a chart showing the relative
permeability of glass and various plastics, but I can't find it now and am
lazy. (I remember that PET was good, but I'd like to know just how good.)

Blown PET bottles are the least permeable to oxygen of the common plastics.
Non-blown PET is good, too. So you would then think that pop bottles might
be good for storage - but the caps are often more permeable than you would
like. Same with glass bottles - be wary of the caps.

But permeability to oxygen isn't a huge issue in darkrooms that actually
_use_ chemistry because it's replaced or replenished regularly.

Good point, that. But it shows that I'm an amateur who uses chemistry rarely
enough that it *is* an issue in my case, possibly like others here.

--
Don't blame Ralph Nader: blame Gavin Newsom.