Rookie Question: Mamiya 645e + Vivitar 185HV

Old September 21st 04, 06:22 PM
fishwrap

Default Rookie Question: Mamiya 645e + Vivitar 185HV

This is my first attempt with a medium format and strobe - I have had
experience with a Pentax K1000 but not with a flash.

My question is how do I use the Vivitar 185hv? And is there anyway of
using it without a flash meter (with the 645e). I have the manual for
it but it's not really clicking for me....is that side dial the one you
have to adjust or just the front dial?...Sorry for all the real newbie
questions - but I can't seem to find anything direct on google...Thanks
advance!
Old September 21st 04, 06:42 PM
Nick Zentena

fishwrap wrote:
This is my first attempt with a medium format and strobe - I have had
experience with a Pentax K1000 but not with a flash.

My question is how do I use the Vivitar 185hv? And is there anyway of
using it without a flash meter (with the 645e). I have the manual for
it but it's not really clicking for me....is that side dial the one you
have to adjust or just the front dial?...Sorry for all the real newbie
questions - but I can't seem to find anything direct on google...Thanks
advance!

Assuming it's an auto flash. Set the flash film speed to match what is in
the camera. Set the F/stop to the F/stop chosen by you. Odds are the dial
will now show a distance in feet or metres. Are you closer then that
distance? If not open the lens and set the flash to show the new F/stop. Or
move closer. Then when you fire the flash the flash auto sensor will handle
measuring the light being put out.

To avoid having to play with the dial. Take the Guide number of the
flash [GN] and divide by the distance. So if you have a GN of 100 and are 10
feet away. F/10 or wider will work. The GN is for 100 ISO film so you need
to adjust if you're shooting something else. Also be carefull of what sort
of lens the GN is measured with. Some give GN measured with a long lens and
when you use a wider lens the GN may not be accurate.

Nick