[SI] The Final (again) Fate of the Shoot-In

Old April 1st 08, 10:00 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Annika1980

Default The Final (again) Fate of the Shoot-In

On Mar 31, 5:51*pm, Alienjones wrote:

What makes you think a confessed copyright violator would be welcome?
If you can't respect the copyright of other photographers, you have no
place expecting to be included in anything likely to tempt you to keep
stealing other people's images.

Are you referring to yourself here, D-Mac? After all, it was you who
got busted for copyright infringement when you posted those wedding
rules you stole from another site on your website under your copyright
notice.

If the shoe fits....

Old April 1st 08, 10:11 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Noons[_4_]

On Apr 1, 10:57 pm, Helen wrote:
On Apr 1, 8:38 am, "jimkramer"
wrote:

"jimkramer" wrote in message

... Hello Shoot-In Fans, Well-Wishers, Despisers, and the Apathetic,

At this point I have 12 solid mandates, moderate to strong commitment from
12 people. The schedule will be the first Friday in the month. The

submissions will be due before that day and the new mandate and galleries
will be posted on that day. I will try to do two week (or is that too weak
?) reminders, but as I'm getting old now someone may need to remind me.

Jim

I can post a reminder before the deadline Jim. I'm not questioning
your memory....I just thought if you need a helping hand.
Helen

Old April 1st 08, 10:12 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Noons[_4_]

On Apr 2, 7:09 am, Annika1980 wrote:
On Apr 1, 5:04 pm, Noons wrote:

On Apr 2, 7:00 am, Annika1980 wrote:

On Mar 31, 5:51 pm, Alienjones wrote:

What makes you think a confessed copyright violator would be welcome?
If you can't respect the copyright of other photographers, you have no
place expecting to be included in anything likely to tempt you to keep
stealing other people's images.

Are you referring to yourself here, D-Mac? After all, it was you who
got busted for copyright infringement when you posted those wedding
rules you stole from another site on your website under your copyright
notice.

If the shoe fits....- Hide quoted text -

Old April 1st 08, 10:18 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Noons[_4_]

On Apr 2, 6:57 am, Annika1980 wrote:
On Mar 31, 10:31 pm, wrote:

Note that Pbase will show large pictures in a smaller format for people with
antique cheapo monitors... there is no technical reason to post small pictures
on Pbase;

Not quite true. When pbase downsizes a photo it greatly reduces the
quality. So a native 800x600 photo will look much better than a
larger photo which has been downsized to 800x600.

Old April 1st 08, 10:59 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
[email protected]

(a complimentary copy of this posting... (O
On Apr 1, 7:10 pm, "jimkramer"
wrote:

For the count:

Yes: Paul Furman, (Bowser, Kinon, Jufi,) Walter Banks, Doug Jewell, Helen,
Bret, Doug Payne, Frank Ess, Michelo, Solomon Peachy, Ken Nadvornick

Maybe Ifs: Rich Pos, Michael Benveniste

No:

I still need 4 more solid Mandates.

Not sure if my first reply got through. And I didn't keep a copy.
Dang.

Count me in, natch... With the usual provisos - my availability
varies dramatically (although I think I have a pretty good record for
critiquing in the past..). May I add a small suggestion? (One that
may add to the load of the organiser - sorry!) How about posting
images as they are lodged? I know that may be perceived as giving an
'advantage' to those who post later, but isn't this all about keeping
people interested and providing incentives and ideas?

And as for the mandates (and I agree they should be called 'themes' -
plain english rulz!!), here's some ideas...

Not the Usual Panorama
Whiteout
Blackout
Subtle HDR
At the Nightclub
Night Sports
Xtreem Sports
The Party
Bad Luck
Ugliness
Terror
Suspicion
Dream On
Blown
In the Eye of the Beholder
Histogram Abuse
When Exposure goes Bad
Fishing
Musical
Waves
Sandy

Surely there is something useful in there... I haven't examined
previous SI's so I apologise for duplication/stolen ideas. (O:

mt
Old April 1st 08, 11:07 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Zot

On Apr 2, 3:14 am, "jimkramer"
wrote:
"Draco" wrote in message

On Apr 1, 10:54 am, "jimkramer"
wrote:

"Draco" wrote in message

On Apr 1, 8:38 am, "jimkramer"
wrote:

"jimkramer" wrote in message

... Hello Shoot-In Fans,
Well-Wishers, Despisers, and the Apathetic,

At this point I have 12 solid mandates, moderate to strong commitment
from
12 people. The schedule will be the first Friday in the month. The
submissions will be due before that day and the new mandate and
galleries
will be posted on that day. I will try to do two week (or is that too
weak
?) reminders, but as I'm getting old now someone may need to remind me.

Jim

Hi Jim,
I've been lurking and seeing if this was going to degenerate into
another name calling event. I see that it hasn't and people are, for
the most part, playing nice.
Good.
Count me in for the SI. I hope that there will be great images and
good discussion of styles and helpful comments on techniques.

Draco

I, for one, am looking forward to seeing your images. I'm sure there will
be plenty of name calling; I just hope they're nicer names. ;-)
Jim

I too hope for a better times for this group. I hope also my images
will stand to the test of those whom I aspire to emulate and there are
many.

By the way. When do we start??

Draco

This Friday.

make sure you cross post to aus.photo:
your crap contest will have a good future then.
Old April 2nd 08, 01:37 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
[email protected]

Default [SI] The Final (again) Fate of the Shoot-In

On Tue, 1 Apr 2008 08:48:59 -0400, "Rita Berkowitz"
wrote:

Matthew Winn wrote:

Right now they want 800x600... Windows won't even run in 800x600...
the standard screen today is 1280x1024... According to my web pages,
90% of visitors have 1280x1024... I'm running this computer in
1680x1025, the new wide screen standard... A few years from now
everyone will be at HD 1920x1200.

I think you're rather optimistic there. I've just looked at several
surveys and the most common screen size is 1024x768. It appears
that 97% of people use a size equal or greater than that in both
dimensions. However, only two thirds of people maximise the browser
window so the actual visible pixels will be lower. Designing for
a width of 800 pixels will suit around 95% of visitors; a width of
1280 will be too large for 75% of them.

You got it! 1024 x 768 is the world wide standard for images.

ya, .... right .....

anyway...

PBASE SCALES THE IMAGE SMALLER IF YOU WANT IT!

did you ever go to Pbase?

ever read the screen?

Old April 2nd 08, 01:39 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Dudley Hanks

Sounds quite interesting. I'll give it a try as well.

Take Care,
Dudley