Uploading photos from European Internet Cafes?

Old January 28th 05, 05:37 AM
EuroTravel

Default Uploading photos from European Internet Cafes?

The last time I went to Europe the internet cafe pcs were locked down
with no way to copy photos from a camera or media card.
Nowadays, do many internet cafes in Europe have media card readers
connected to the PCs so you can e-mail, FTP, or otherwise upload your
photos, movie clips etc.?
What about USB access to the internet cafe PCs?

Old January 28th 05, 07:01 AM
Deep Foiled Malls

On 27 Jan 2005 21:37:05 -0800, "EuroTravel"
wrote:

The last time I went to Europe the internet cafe pcs were locked down
with no way to copy photos from a camera or media card.
Nowadays, do many internet cafes in Europe have media card readers
connected to the PCs so you can e-mail, FTP, or otherwise upload your
photos, movie clips etc.?
What about USB access to the internet cafe PCs?

Forget USB access, as the chances are you would need to install
drivers to get it to work.

There seem to be more and more machines coming out with multicard
readers, which are just wonderful in my opinion. Take your memory card
out, insert it into the computer, and upload. Piece of cake! I have
found most net cafes have one of those available, but it might be on
the administrators machine of course.

I believe SD and Compact flash are the most common. Personally, I use
SD.
--
---
DFM - http://www.deepfriedmars.com
Old January 28th 05, 03:24 PM
Bart van der Wolf

"Deep Foiled Malls" wrote
in message ...
SNIP
Forget USB access, as the chances are you would need
to install drivers to get it to work.

Not if they run e.g. Windows XP. External drives via USB are hot
swappable (no admin.rights required), so you only need to have a
decent card reader (just in case) and a USB cable that fits the card
reader.

http://www.cybercafe.com/continent.asp?continent=Europe
will give a list of locations (don't know how up-to-date it is), and
allows to check the setup before you travel.

Bart

Old January 28th 05, 05:39 PM
Deep Foiled Malls

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 16:24:48 +0100, "Bart van der Wolf"
wrote:

"Deep Foiled Malls" wrote
in message ...
SNIP
Forget USB access, as the chances are you would need
to install drivers to get it to work.

Not if they run e.g. Windows XP. External drives via USB are hot
swappable (no admin.rights required), so you only need to have a
decent card reader (just in case) and a USB cable that fits the card
reader.

If you are lucky. It depends largely on the device you have.

http://www.cybercafe.com/continent.asp?continent=Europe
will give a list of locations (don't know how up-to-date it is), and
allows to check the setup before you travel.

That site's crap though. Half the links don't work, and those that do
are probably out of date. Trust me, don't rely on being able to plug a
USB cord in anywhere.
--
---
Old January 28th 05, 06:05 PM
EuroTravel

I'm not taking a laptop, but I plan to take a WIFI capable PDA.
Is it possible to put the SD card with the camera files into the PDA
and then upload the data to a web or ftp server?
I've never seen a FTP client for pocketpcs or a web site editable via a
pocketpc either and WIFI access is probably much more difficult to find
than internet cafes.

Old January 28th 05, 08:53 PM
EuroTravel

I am NOT carrying a laptop. Only a PocketPC PDA with WIFI.

Old January 28th 05, 10:32 PM
Nick

We will only be e-mailing 5 to 10MB worth of photos at a time, so we
will still need another way to offload the photos for storage since it
would take hours to upload the entire SD card full of photos and movie
clips over the internet anyway.
How difficult is it to find places in Europe where you can have the
files offloaded to CD-R discs?
Will they copy any files from your SD cards (.avi movie files etc.) to
CD or only jpeg images?

Old January 29th 05, 10:09 AM
Deep Foiled Malls

On 28 Jan 2005 14:32:22 -0800, "Nick" wrote:

We will only be e-mailing 5 to 10MB worth of photos at a time, so we
will still need another way to offload the photos for storage since it
would take hours to upload the entire SD card full of photos and movie
clips over the internet anyway.
How difficult is it to find places in Europe where you can have the
files offloaded to CD-R discs?
Will they copy any files from your SD cards (.avi movie files etc.) to
CD or only jpeg images?

You should be able to do this at a net cafe, if you ask nicely. I have
no idea how much it will cost though.

Are you aware that you can buy a 256mb SD card for around $80, or
cheaper if it's duty free? This way you can store a lot of photos and
video.
--
---