... thinking about making a CAMERA OBSCURA....

Old March 13th 07, 03:41 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
King Sardon

Default ... thinking about making a CAMERA OBSCURA....

I'm considering building a camera obscura to project prints. The
prints would have a max. dimension of 20 inches. Have any of you guys
built one of these? Any suggestions?

The most critical component is probably the lens. It should probably
have a focal length of 500-800 mm and a diameter of at least 3 inches.
Where would I get a lens like this? Edmunds comes up blank.

I would also need a first-surface mirror unless I have the print
parallel to the projection screen.

Suggestions appreciated.

KS
Old March 13th 07, 03:50 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Paul Rubin

King Sardon writes:
I'm considering building a camera obscura to project prints. The
prints would have a max. dimension of 20 inches. Have any of you guys
built one of these? Any suggestions?

Haven't built one but have seen some pretty big ones.

The most critical component is probably the lens. It should probably
have a focal length of 500-800 mm and a diameter of at least 3 inches.
Where would I get a lens like this? Edmunds comes up blank.

Projection TV.
Old March 13th 07, 05:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill Funk

On Tue, 13 Mar 2007 02:41:01 GMT, King Sardon
wrote:

I'm considering building a camera obscura to project prints. The
prints would have a max. dimension of 20 inches. Have any of you guys
built one of these? Any suggestions?

The most critical component is probably the lens. It should probably
have a focal length of 500-800 mm and a diameter of at least 3 inches.
Where would I get a lens like this? Edmunds comes up blank.

I would also need a first-surface mirror unless I have the print
parallel to the projection screen.

Suggestions appreciated.

KS

Are you sure you're looking for a camera obscura?
It sounds like you want an opaque projector.

--
Washington D.C.'s ban on handgun
ownership by citizens who live
Old March 13th 07, 07:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bandicoot

wrote:

I'm considering building a camera obscura to project prints. The
prints would have a max. dimension of 20 inches. Have any of
you guys built one of these? Any suggestions?

The most critical component is probably the lens. It should
probably have a focal length of 500-800 mm and a diameter of
at least 3 inches. Where would I get a lens like this? Edmunds
comes up blank.

I would also need a first-surface mirror unless I have the print
parallel to the projection screen.

Suggestions appreciated.

KS

Are you sure you're looking for a camera obscura?
It sounds like you want an opaque projector.

Also known as an Episcope. Search for that online and you may get some more
information.

Peter

Old March 13th 07, 08:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
King Sardon

On Tue, 13 Mar 2007 18:41:29 -0000, "Bandicoot"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

I'm considering building a camera obscura to project prints. The
prints would have a max. dimension of 20 inches. Have any of
you guys built one of these? Any suggestions?

The most critical component is probably the lens. It should
probably have a focal length of 500-800 mm and a diameter of
at least 3 inches. Where would I get a lens like this? Edmunds
comes up blank.

I would also need a first-surface mirror unless I have the print
parallel to the projection screen.

Suggestions appreciated.

KS

Are you sure you're looking for a camera obscura?
It sounds like you want an opaque projector.

Also known as an Episcope. Search for that online and you may get some more
information.

Opaque projector or episcope... thanks! Didn't know that.

Also my apologies for this topic, which I now realize is OT. (Unless I
use a digital lens, of course...)

KS
Old March 13th 07, 09:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Pat

On Mar 13, 2:46 pm, King Sardon wrote:
On Tue, 13 Mar 2007 18:41:29 -0000, "Bandicoot"

wrote:
.. .
wrote:

[...]

I suppose it depends on your use, but there might be a few "ready to
go" things you could do. For a few hundred bucks you could pick up a
projector TV that hooks to your laptop. Just take a picture of it and
then project it that way. It would be quick, easy, and accurate.

Old March 14th 07, 02:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Don Stauffer in Minnesota

On Mar 12, 8:41 pm, King Sardon wrote:
I'm considering building a camera obscura to project prints. The
prints would have a max. dimension of 20 inches. Have any of you guys
built one of these? Any suggestions?

The most critical component is probably the lens. It should probably
have a focal length of 500-800 mm and a diameter of at least 3 inches.
Where would I get a lens like this? Edmunds comes up blank.

I would also need a first-surface mirror unless I have the print
parallel to the projection screen.

Suggestions appreciated.

KS

Large format camera lenses (5 x 7 and 8 x 10) would work.
Unfortunately these are VERY expensive. Look for surplus copy machine
lenses. Try googling something like "surplus" and lenses or optics.
There are several places that sell surplus lenses, but I cannot think
of name of them now.

Also old aerial cameras used such focal lengths, and I have seen
surplus aerial camera lenses at surplus sites- bought a couple a
number of years ago.

Old March 14th 07, 07:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill Funk

On 13 Mar 2007 13:27:40 -0700, "Pat"
wrote:

On Mar 13, 2:46 pm, King Sardon wrote:
On Tue, 13 Mar 2007 18:41:29 -0000, "Bandicoot"

wrote:
.. .
wrote:

[...]

Or, the OP could simply buy a used opaque projector, and use the parts
to make one that fits his needs.]

--
John McCain said Friday the
personal lives of candidates
Old March 19th 07, 01:57 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ol' Bab

Default ... thinking about making a CAMERA OBSCURA.... Big lens

I have an aerial camera lens. 14 lbs. 12" focus, f/2.5. (Twelve inches
is probably too short?) No shutter.

Please take it off my hands, give it a home. Anybody.

Drop by my house, take it away, or pay for shipping. Upstate NY.

Ol' Bab (olbab AT rochester.rr.com)

Old March 19th 07, 04:06 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
John Turco

King Sardon wrote:

On Tue, 13 Mar 2007 18:41:29 -0000, "Bandicoot"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

I'm considering building a camera obscura to project prints. The
prints would have a max. dimension of 20 inches. Have any of
you guys built one of these? Any suggestions?

edited, for brevity

Are you sure you're looking for a camera obscura?
It sounds like you want an opaque projector.

Also known as an Episcope. Search for that online and you may get some more
information.

Opaque projector or episcope... thanks! Didn't know that.

Also my apologies for this topic, which I now realize is OT. (Unless I
use a digital lens, of course...)

KS

Hello, KS:

Don't stop with the lens...add an image sensor, and build a real
"digital camera obscura!" :-J

Cordially,
John Turco