point n shoot? slr?

Old April 14th 06, 10:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default point n shoot? slr?

To me, a point and shoot camera has always been of the small pocketable
type that have barely any manual controls and maybe a few set scenes.

SLR would be a camera type (apart from being single lens reflex) that has
full manual controls aswell as auto.

I am curious as to what the middle cameras would be? You know like for
example the Fuji S5500 that has a full range of manual controls but is not
an SLR. Would that still be classed as a point and shoot camera?

There is no real reason I need to know this, its just merely out of
curiousity because in my experience the media tend to talk about either
point and shoot or slr cameras.

Old April 14th 06, 10:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

"Beck" wrote in message
To me, a point and shoot camera has always been of the small pocketable
type that have barely any manual controls and maybe a few set scenes.

SLR would be a camera type (apart from being single lens reflex) that has
full manual controls aswell as auto.

I am curious as to what the middle cameras would be? You know like for
example the Fuji S5500 that has a full range of manual controls but is not
an SLR. Would that still be classed as a point and shoot camera?

There is no real reason I need to know this, its just merely out of
curiousity because in my experience the media tend to talk about either
point and shoot or slr cameras.

I must say that I consider the 'Point & Shoot' variety to be much more
versatile. The one I have has a tilting screen and can be used like an SLR
and a TLR, very useful when close to the ground or taking candid group
pictures, I use a black cloth in bright light (the one I used to use with my
5x4) They are also very quiet little machines.

But see;
http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/mul...id=7-6468-7844
very interesting.

Jem

-------------------------------------
Birmingham Independent Photographers
http://bip.wikispaces.com/

Old April 14th 06, 10:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

"Beck" wrote in message ...
To me, a point and shoot camera has always been of the small pocketable
type that have barely any manual controls and maybe a few set scenes.

SLR would be a camera type (apart from being single lens reflex) that has
full manual controls aswell as auto.

I am curious as to what the middle cameras would be? You know like for
example the Fuji S5500 that has a full range of manual controls but is not
an SLR. Would that still be classed as a point and shoot camera?

There is no real reason I need to know this, its just merely out of
curiousity because in my experience the media tend to talk about either
point and shoot or slr cameras.

The gap between the two gets smaller every year. E.g. Sony's R1
released last November has a huge SLR-type CMOS sensor, but is
a fixed lens P&S (although no movie mode, a feature found on virtually
all P&S cameras today).

The distinction between SLR's and P&S's is evolving more into a
difference of image quality rather than a difference of lens type or
features. Manufacturers are concentrating on stuffing more and more
MP onto smaller and smaller sensors in P&S cameras, a trend that's
both unfortunate and entirely unnecessary. So if you can live with
relatively mediocre image quality, cameras such as the Canon S2 IS
(soon to be S3 IS), Fuji's S5500Z etc have some pretty incredible
feature sets.

Old April 14th 06, 11:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

"Mark M" wrote in message
nk.net...
"Beck" wrote in message
[...]

I do have the Fuji S5500 and I quite like it although my skills in
photography leave alot to be desired. That is my own fault and not the
fault of the camera probably :-)
I have had it a year and still don't know how to use it properly, I only
just found the manual focus :-/
I am sure SLRs would be of exceptional picture quality and at the end of the
day people get what they pay for.

Old April 14th 06, 11:11 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

"Adrian Boliston" wrote in message
"Beck" wrote in message

To me, a point and shoot camera has always been of the small pocketable
type that have barely any manual controls and maybe a few set scenes.

SLR would be a camera type (apart from being single lens reflex) that has
full manual controls aswell as auto.

I am curious as to what the middle cameras would be? You know like for
example the Fuji S5500 that has a full range of manual controls but is
not an SLR. Would that still be classed as a point and shoot camera?

There is no real reason I need to know this, its just merely out of
curiousity because in my experience the media tend to talk about either
point and shoot or slr cameras.

From what I gather, it seems that the main factor which separates p&s to
dslr is the type of viewfinder.

A dslr will give you a "real" preview image projected onto a ground glass
viewfinder, wheras a p&s will show the preview on a low-resolution "evf"
or electronic viewfinder, which can never really compare with the "real"
preview that a dslr gives. Another problem with the evf is that the image
often lags behind what is actually happening.

Ah well this I did not know. Having never looked at an SLR camera I have no
real idea of what features they do have. My camera EVF is not that great.
It does alledgedly have 100% frame coverage, but its the grainyness of it
that makes it look cheap. However it does work well in low light, so thats
something to be thankful of.

Old April 14th 06, 11:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

"Jem Raid" wrote in message

I must say that I consider the 'Point & Shoot' variety to be much more
versatile. The one I have has a tilting screen and can be used like an SLR
and a TLR, very useful when close to the ground or taking candid group
pictures, I use a black cloth in bright light (the one I used to use with
my 5x4) They are also very quiet little machines.

But see;
http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/mul...id=7-6468-7844
very interesting.

That is a fascinating site, thankyou for showing it to me. It also goes to
show that a photographers skills can outweigh a cameras features. Its all
very well having the most expensive up to date SLR, but if someone (like me)
who has no idea on how to set the camera for certain conditions, then an SLR
can be pretty useless.

Old April 14th 06, 11:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

"John A. Stovall" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 14 Apr 2006 22:19:02 +0100, "Beck"
wrote:

To me, a point and shoot camera has always been of the small pocketable
type that have barely any manual controls and maybe a few set scenes.

SLR would be a camera type (apart from being single lens reflex) that has
full manual controls aswell as auto.

Wrong many non-SLR have full manual controls also. Consider these.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...pson-rd1.shtml

http://luminous-landscape.com/review...x2-part1.shtml

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...eras/lx1.shtml

You have a rather simple view of the world of cameras.

Wrong in what respect?
I already mentioned cameras which have full manual controls which are not
SLR

Old April 14th 06, 11:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

"Bill" wrote in message ...

Some people call the midrange P&S models ZLR cameras. They work similar
to an SLR with many of the same features, but with a fixed zoom lense. A
canon S2 IS would be one of these.

Now that is something I have never come across. Will this become standard?

Old April 14th 06, 11:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

On Fri, 14 Apr 2006 22:47:20 +0100, "Adrian Boliston"
wrote:

"Beck" wrote in message

To me, a point and shoot camera has always been of the small pocketable
type that have barely any manual controls and maybe a few set scenes.

SLR would be a camera type (apart from being single lens reflex) that has
full manual controls aswell as auto.

I am curious as to what the middle cameras would be? You know like for
example the Fuji S5500 that has a full range of manual controls but is not
an SLR. Would that still be classed as a point and shoot camera?

There is no real reason I need to know this, its just merely out of
curiousity because in my experience the media tend to talk about either
point and shoot or slr cameras.

From what I gather, it seems that the main factor which separates p&s to
dslr is the type of viewfinder.

And I think it's the size of the sensor.
There seems to be a disctinct seperation between cameras with APS-C
(or thereabouts) and larger sensors (call them DSLRs), and the cameras
with smaller sensors cal them P&S cameras).
The differences ar emore than just sensor size. More control over the
picture taking procedure; removable lenses; faster processors (less
shutter lag); less noise at higher ISOs.

A dslr will give you a "real" preview image projected onto a ground glass
viewfinder, wheras a p&s will show the preview on a low-resolution "evf" or
electronic viewfinder, which can never really compare with the "real"
preview that a dslr gives. Another problem with the evf is that the image
often lags behind what is actually happening.

Really? I see alot of P&S cameras with optical viewfinders. Don't you?
--
Bill Funk
replace "g" with "a"
Old April 14th 06, 11:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

"Beck" wrote in message
To me, a point and shoot camera has always been of the small pocketable
type that have barely any manual controls and maybe a few set scenes.

SLR would be a camera type (apart from being single lens reflex) that has
full manual controls aswell as auto.

I am curious as to what the middle cameras would be? You know like for
example the Fuji S5500 that has a full range of manual controls but is not
an SLR. Would that still be classed as a point and shoot camera?

There is no real reason I need to know this, its just merely out of
curiousity because in my experience the media tend to talk about either
point and shoot or slr cameras.

Steves digicams is a good place to see the same picture from many different
cameras. He goes out and takes pictures with each camera he reviews and he
always makes one image of a particular building, these can be downloaded,
printed off and compared. I was quite startled when I did a few for
comparison purposes. At a normal viewing distance say standing with a 9" x
6"print on a table the difference between a reasonable 3 megapixel camera
and a 6 megapixel digital SLR was .. nothing.

Jem

Dramatised - Photography Granularised - Photographs
Black and White - Prints Blue and White - Cyanotypes
http://jemraid.wikispaces.com/