Affinity Photo for iPad

Old September 24th 17, 06:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
nospam

Default Affinity Photo for iPad

In article , PeterN
wrote:

I like the concept of choice. Each of us should use what they feel more
comfortable using. The preceding sentence applies to cameras, software,
and computers.

nothing else?
Old September 24th 17, 07:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Alfred Molon[_4_]

In article , PeterN says...
When on a photo travel, it would not have been unusual to shoot over 400
a day. yes I did get rid of most.

I'm also in that range when travelling. Easy to generate lots of images
which need to be screened in the evenings.
--
Alfred Molon

Old September 24th 17, 07:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Alan Browne

On 2017-09-23 09:56, PeterN wrote:
On 9/23/2017 9:07 AM, Alan Browne wrote:

snip.

Hmm. 512 GB is quite a lot then. No issue. No cloud
needed.

When I was traveling I looked into the iPad. Because of my
workflow, it didn't work for me. Remember, I use a high
megapixel camera.

What's high? What size raw file?

On an iPad one could easily allocate 400 GB to photography.
Say 30 MB per image. That would be 13000+ images. Say you cut
that in half so you can do lot's of roadshow editing. How long
does it take to fill 6500 images that are probably worth
keeping?

In photography one tends to reduce stuff carried around that is
not specific to photography. An iPad v. laptop is a no
brainer.

RAW size for a D800

Image quality Image size File size*2 FX (36x24)*1 NEF
(RAW), Lossless compressed, 12-bit - 32.4 MB NEF (RAW),
Lossless compressed, 14-bit - 41.3 MB NEF (RAW),
Compressed, 12-bit - 29.0 MB

Also, there were times I wanted to do some procession. My laptop
had a 17" screen. The iPad also belongs to my wife. Every day I
took the days shooting, and downloaded it onto the Notebook, and
backed up to 2 portable HDs. If I did any processing the file
size increased.

So, how many thousand photos do you shoot per week or so?

When on a photo travel, it would not have been unusual to shoot over
400 a day. yes I did get rid of most.

So an iPad with 512 Gb could handle that quite easily for a few weeks.
Not like you're really going to shoot that many per day, every day, even
less likely to do extensive editing on many of them every day.

Old September 24th 17, 07:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Alan Browne

On 2017-09-24 11:34, nospam wrote:
In article , Alan Browne
wrote:

then you are cutting off your nose to spite your face if you are
boycotting Adobe for some reason.

Not at all. I have CS5 and that is more than sufficient for 99.99% of
what I do. (Which even includes occasional paid photography).

What I do not support is rental s/w. That's Adobe's new path. If I
were a full time photographer, then I'd go for it. But "renting"
spinning s/w that I don't use for stretches is a stretch.

lightroom and photoshop elements are available for purchase.

Meanwhile other suppliers are coming out with competitive products that
do as much as most people need.

while that's true, photoshop elements also does as much as most people
need, no rental required.

I don't recall offhand what things in Elements are missing that aren't
in CS5 that I need and use, but that was part of the decision to buy CS3
in the first place and later upgrade. (bit depth of plugins and/or
filters comes to mind, but not perfectly sure - and Elements may handle
that now).
Old September 24th 17, 07:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Alan Browne

On 2017-09-23 17:49, Davoud wrote:
Alan Browne:
I can't speak about Affinity, but I can say that I will never buy an
Adobe photo editing product again.

Stop me if you've heard this one.

If any of the following is true

€ you are a professional
€ you are an amateur
€ your photographs are important to you
€ you have a large number of photographs to manage
€ you prefer doing things the easy way

then you are cutting off your nose to spite your face if you are
boycotting Adobe for some reason.

Not at all.* I have CS5 and that is more than sufficient for 99.99% of
what I do.* (Which even includes occasional paid photography).

What I do not support is rental s/w.* That's Adobe's new path.* If I
were a full time photographer, then I'd go for it.* But "renting"
spinning s/w that I don't use for stretches is a stretch.

Meanwhile other suppliers are coming out with competitive products
that do as much as most people need.

Discussed and closed before.* That's it for me.

I like the concept of choice. Each of us should use what they feel more
comfortable using. The preceding sentence applies to cameras, software,
and computers.

Has nothing to do with "comfort".
Old September 24th 17, 09:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital, alt.photography
Savageduck[_3_]

On Sep 24, 2017, Alfred Molon wrote
(in . com):

In iganews.com,
Savageduck says...
The actual
merge/pano stitch was probably in the region of 5-8 seconds.

Then what took 1 minute and 41 seconds?

Did you read any of what you snipped from the post you responded to?

Let me remind you, and then I will give you a step-by-step break down.

From ews.com

I hope you are comparing a similar process workflow, not just the time the
merge/pano stitching took. If so I will retime for just that portion of the
test.

Just to be clear. that was for the whole task, which included selecting the
three RAW files from my desktop hard drive, loading them to the iCloud Drive,
opening Affinity Photo on the iPad, selecting the three RAF files from the
iCloud folder for pano stitching, and completing the crop. The actual
merge/pano stitch was probably in the region of 5-8 seconds.

Now to explain step-by-step:
On my Mac, not the iPad, Lightroom was not running, so;
Step #1: Open Lightroom: 27.58 seconds
Step #2: In LR Library navigate to 2016-12-15 folder: 45.83 sec.
Step # 3: Select the 3 RAF files and export to iCloud: 1 minute 1.96 sec.
Step #4: Complete upload to iCloud: 1 min 13.41 sec
Step #5: Open Affinity Photo on iPad & Choose “New Panorama”: 1 min
24.66 sec
Step #6: Select 3 RAF files from iCloud folder on iPad: 1 min 30.56 sec
Step #7: Start and finish Stitch: 1 min 36.50 sec (so the actual stich time
was 5.96 sec)
Step #8: Complete crop: This time 1 min 40.67 total elapsed time.

There are all sorts of things I could have done to come up with a faster
result, but I didn’t.

Now that isn’t too bad given that was all that was done. You didn’t
mention if you had done a crop, or not, or were just left with the rough
pano.

....and as I said, producing panoramas is not where the bulk of my travel
photography lies.

Savageduck

Old September 24th 17, 10:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
nospam

In article .com,
Savageduck wrote:

On my Mac, not the iPad, Lightroom was not running, so;
Step #1: Open Lightroom: 27.58 seconds

yikes. you have a very slow hard drive.

for me, it's about 4 seconds cold launch from an ssd. i did not time it
to 100th second accuracy, though.
Old September 24th 17, 10:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Eric Stevens

On Sun, 24 Sep 2017 13:46:39 -0700, Savageduck
wrote:

On Sep 24, 2017, Alfred Molon wrote
(in . com):

In iganews.com,
Savageduck says...
The actual
merge/pano stitch was probably in the region of 5-8 seconds.

Then what took 1 minute and 41 seconds?

Did you read any of what you snipped from the post you responded to?

Let me remind you, and then I will give you a step-by-step break down.

From ews.com

[...]

How did you measure time to 1/100 sec?

Eric Stevens
Old September 24th 17, 10:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
nospam

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

How did you measure time to 1/100 sec?

probably by using the clock app on his iphone.
Old September 24th 17, 11:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
RJH

On 24/09/2017 15:28, Savageduck wrote:
On Sep 24, 2017, Alfred Molon wrote
(in . com):

In iganews.com,
Savageduck says...
OK! That didn?t take long, exactly 1 minute 41.44 seconds.

The RAF?s were from an X-E2, sized 33.8 MB, 33.8 MB, & 33.7 MB
respectively.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/mkfwoty85afy0ek/RAF-iC.png

Pretty good! Thanks for checking.

PTGUI merges a three pic pano (24MP each) in 5 seconds on my four years
old notebook with a core i7. That's 20 times faster than your ipad.

I hope you are comparing a similar process workflow, not just the time the
merge/pano stitching took. If so I will retime for just that portion of the
test.

He wasn't. IIUC, your iPad and his machine are about the same at this task.

--
Cheers, Rob