Affinity Photo for iPad

Old September 23rd 17, 04:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital, alt.photography
Savageduck[_3_]

Default Affinity Photo for iPad

On Sep 23, 2017, Alfred Molon wrote
(in om):

In , Davoud says...
? You don't have to upload the image files to a cloud; the software
does it for you as you take the photos.

The problem is the connectivity. Often connections are slow and if you
have a 5GB package, you can't upload 100GB.

Then don’t bother with the cloud, use local storage on the iPad, or
supplemental storage with:
https://www.sandisk.com/home/mobile-device-storage/ixpand
....or one of these which works just fine with an iPad.
https://www.sandisk.com/home/mobile-device-storage/ixpand-base

But again, in many interesting countries the Internet connections (both
mobile and fixed) are just too slow. Try doing a cloud upload in Papua
for instance.

So what? Papua NG, or the Amazon Basin would be a very different road trip to
one in Europe, North America, or South Africa, so you would plan, and
provision differently. Different locations are going to have different
requirements, so you plan for them.

In December and January I spent a month away from home in the Netherlands and
South Africa, where I travelled light with all my computing needs dealt with
by a 256 GB iPhone 6S+, not an MBP, or notebook PC. If that iPhone could
handle things, I know that I am not going to have problems with an iPad Pro
with more memory, and a much more powerful processor.

Savageduck

Old September 23rd 17, 05:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital, alt.photography
Savageduck[_3_]

On Sep 23, 2017, Alfred Molon wrote
(in . com):

In iganews.com,
Savageduck says...

While there is a 12? iPad Pro available, the 10? is the better choice
when it comes to portability. The resolution provided by the Retina display
is superb. I can edit 6000 x 4000 images down to a pixel level if I need to.

Maybe your eyesight is better than mine, but if I have to go through
200-300 images in the evening, a big screen helps a lot. For my
purposes, a 10" screen is just too small. I cannot zoom in and out all
the time. Actually even 12" is too small. I'd like to have at least 14".

You are not going to know until you try. As much as I would love to have a
27” display on the road, I am not going to have that luxury. The 10.5”
iPad is pretty good, very good actually, especially after having my cataract
surgery. You don’t have to play the bad eyesight game with me.

I have my old 17” MBP which for what I need these days is too bulky and too
heavy, and is not able to run the latest MacOS. I will stick with my new iPad
Pro.

snip

To start with, the Apple A10X with M10 coprocessor is as fast for my needs
as
most laptop/desktop machines, and in some cases faster.

But tablets are optimised for battery life, not performance.

Actually they are optimized for both battery life, and performance.

When you
quickly browse through hundreds of images, open RAWs for editing trying
out different settings, use panorama software to stitch images - that
all drains the battery quite a lot.

Strangely enough, Lightroom Mobile makes browsing through hundreds of images
a simple task, and it along with Affinity Photo for iPad are just two apps
which handle panorama stitching quite efficiently and quickly.

By the way, RAM also matters. 10 or more GB are very helpful in my case,
but I don't think there are tablets with that much RAM, are there?

On a desktop, or laptop certainly. However, tablets, especially the iPad
manages things a little differently by optimizing what they have to work
with.

snip

The battery gives me 10 hours of portability which slips easily into a
camera
bag, and provides me with all the function I need on the road, and then
some,
all with less weight and bulk than even a notebook PC.

But there is no need to lug around the tablet the whole day, while you
are taking pictures, right? Just leave it in the hotel, or why would you
want to carry it around?

There is no need to lug it around, but if you needed to the bit of added
weight is negligible.

Instead of the tablet you can bring along another lens, a flash or piece
of photo equipment, which improves your photo capture capability in the
field.

With my Fujifilm set up, I have my camera, 4 lenses, extra batteries, some
filters, and a few other goodies which all fit handily into my Domke bag.
Moreover, I could if need be, slip the iPad into the back sleave of the bag.

Savageduck

Old September 23rd 17, 05:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Alan Browne

On 2017-09-23 09:56, PeterN wrote:
On 9/23/2017 9:07 AM, Alan Browne wrote:

snip.

Hmm.* 512 GB is quite a lot then.* No issue.* No cloud needed.

When I was traveling I looked into the iPad. Because of my workflow, it
didn't work for me. Remember, I use a high megapixel camera.

What's high? What size raw file?

On an iPad one could easily allocate 400 GB to photography. Say 30 MB
per image. That would be 13000+ images. Say you cut that in half so
you can do lot's of roadshow editing. How long does it take to fill
6500 images that are probably worth keeping?

In photography one tends to reduce stuff carried around that is not
specific to photography. An iPad v. laptop is a no brainer.
Old September 23rd 17, 05:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Alan Browne

On 2017-09-23 11:16, Alfred Molon wrote:
In article .com,
Savageduck says...

While there is a 12? iPad Pro available, the 10? is the better choice
when it comes to portability. The resolution provided by the Retina display
is superb. I can edit 6000 x 4000 images down to a pixel level if I need to.

Maybe your eyesight is better than mine, but if I have to go through
200-300 images in the evening, a big screen helps a lot. For my
purposes, a 10" screen is just too small. I cannot zoom in and out all
the time. Actually even 12" is too small. I'd like to have at least 14".

Then get the iPad 12". Solved easily. Or reading glasses.

But there is no need to lug around the tablet the whole day, while you
are taking pictures, right? Just leave it in the hotel, or why would you
want to carry it around?

One wouldn't. You brought up the notion of traveling with an iPad or
laptop. The lightest, least bulky solution is an iPad. (That said, a
Macbook Air is hardly much larger).

Instead of the tablet you can bring along another lens, a flash or piece
of photo equipment, which improves your photo capture capability in the
field.

Of course. But you would not likely bring a laptop into the field
either, so it's a non argument when comparing iPad to laptop.
Old September 23rd 17, 07:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Alfred Molon[_4_]

In article , Alan Browne
says...
Of course. But you would not likely bring a laptop into the field
either, so it's a non argument when comparing iPad to laptop.

But then, if size and weight are not an issue, just travel with a 15.6"
notebook PC and enjoy the much larger screen and the full power of a PC.
--
Alfred Molon

Old September 23rd 17, 07:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Alan Browne

On 2017-09-23 14:44, Alfred Molon wrote:
In article , Alan Browne
says...
Of course. But you would not likely bring a laptop into the field
either, so it's a non argument when comparing iPad to laptop.

But then, if size and weight are not an issue, just travel with a 15.6"
notebook PC and enjoy the much larger screen and the full power of a PC.

And the size, weight and bulk of it and its power supply. Been through
a two transfer intercontinental flight recently?

TANSTAAFL.

Old September 23rd 17, 07:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
nospam

In article , Alfred Molon
wrote:

Of course. But you would not likely bring a laptop into the field
either, so it's a non argument when comparing iPad to laptop.

But then, if size and weight are not an issue, just travel with a 15.6"
notebook PC

with less space in luggage for other stuff, possibly running into
weight limits on some airlines.

an ipad fits in a jacket pocket and they don't weigh jackets.

try putting a 15" laptop in a jacket. good luck on that.

and enjoy the much larger screen and the full power of a PC.

ipad pros are more powerful than most laptops.
Old September 23rd 17, 08:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Taylor

On 23/09/2017 17:09, Savageduck wrote:
[] You are not going to know until you try.
That's the essence of it!

--
Cheers,
David
Old September 23rd 17, 08:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital, alt.photography
Savageduck[_3_]

On Sep 23, 2017, Alfred Molon wrote
(in . com):

In iganews.com,
Savageduck says...

While there is a 12? iPad Pro available, the 10? is the better choice
when it comes to portability. The resolution provided by the Retina display
is superb. I can edit 6000 x 4000 images down to a pixel level if I need to.

Maybe your eyesight is better than mine, but if I have to go through
200-300 images in the evening, a big screen helps a lot. For my
purposes, a 10" screen is just too small. I cannot zoom in and out all
the time. Actually even 12" is too small. I'd like to have at least 14".

snip

To start with, the Apple A10X with M10 coprocessor is as fast for my needs
as
most laptop/desktop machines, and in some cases faster.

But tablets are optimised for battery life, not performance. When you
quickly browse through hundreds of images, open RAWs for editing trying
out different settings, use panorama software to stitch images - that
all drains the battery quite a lot.

Just for the Hell of it, since I had yet to stitch a panorama with Affinity
Photo on the iPad Pro I thought I should at least say I had done it.

To start with I took this sequence of three shots from last year, and from my
desktop, dropped them into an iCloud folder.

I then went to the iPad and opened Affinity Photo - selected New Panorama,
and selected the three shots for stitching. Created the uncropped pano.
Cleaned up the crop so that the image is ready for any adjustments.

Other than picking out the shots on my desktop, the entire iPad pano
stitching operation took less than one minute.

Here is how things happened on the iPad.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/lu9r03r0p97fbju/AAD4Y4UwhMROPrL3oJXs94Txa

Savageduck

Old September 23rd 17, 08:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
nospam

In article .com,
Savageduck wrote:

To start with, the Apple A10X with M10 coprocessor is as fast for my needs
as most laptop/desktop machines, and in some cases faster.

But tablets are optimised for battery life, not performance. When you
quickly browse through hundreds of images, open RAWs for editing trying
out different settings, use panorama software to stitch images - that
all drains the battery quite a lot.

Just for the Hell of it, since I had yet to stitch a panorama with Affinity
Photo on the iPad Pro I thought I should at least say I had done it.

how much battery did it use?