help needed :shooting manual with the canon 10d

Old June 25th 04, 09:30 PM
Nickyvonbuskergr

Default help needed :shooting manual with the canon 10d

im trying to improve my photography by using manual mode .

looking for some insight and advice from you guys with experience ,

i had a frustrating day last sunday trying to get action shots @ a horse show
i must say it is a hard thing to get the riders face in focus with them 10
gallon hats with shade under them to begin with .
it was definetly the most contrasty day of the year & very bright out & alot of
dust clouds the horses were kicking up .
i was trying tv mode, av mode & manual
with flash , without flash, (i have a sigma super 550 only syncs to 200 shutter
speed ,anyone using the speedlight ex 550 at very fast shutter speeds ,fp mode
? ) , al servo , continous shooting mode, is on, mode 2 for moving objects,
center point focus ,auto white balance to sun , tryed other settings for wb
(local news wag recamended manual focus ,hmm try that sunday)
tryed every possible shutter speed /aperture , bumbed up the iso to 200 (i
thought iso being bumbed up was for low light situations , was told for really
fast shutter speeds i should bumb it up ?, how come my pictures don't look like
other great sports shots ive seen, lol)end of day when cloud was over and got
some good action shots then , still the faces not really sharp .

i was reading my manual today to get a better understanding , and tryed some
things in there that i wasn't paying attention to while shooting sunday .

the 1st was to exposuer compensation in tv or av mode , adjust the shutter
speed, slower or faster, aperture more open or closed ,

i was experamenting in the manual mode down near the river with my 70-200 2.8l
is and also tryed it with the 1.4 II extender , ive been told i need to have at
least 750 shutter speed to freeze the action unlike the av,tv mode when i tryed
to get the exposure balance meter to the middle i couldn't get anywhere near
there with a 350 shutter speed no matter what aperture i went to , when i
bumbed up the iso i was able to but the pictures weren't excatly crisp and
sharp like i want .

ive heard the terms under expose and overexpose a stop 2 stops etc would this
mean by not haveing the exposure balance meter in the middle but 1 or 2
nothches =/- ?.

if so when does one go about doing this , more light faster shutter speed ,
less light slower speed am i on the right track ?

i also started looking at the histogram and comparing readings , between manual
and auto settings , i shot the same pic in auto then manual and the manual was
alot nicer and used a faster shutter speed , compared to the auto ss and
aperture .is that the best way to go about determing the right exposure in
manual ?

im going to another horse show again sunday to give it another try .
im also thinking of just getting a good position and use my 24-70 2.8l instead
of haveing to zoom all the way out with the 70-200 ?.

am i headed in the right direction here ?

thanks.

nicky

Old June 25th 04, 09:39 PM
Phil Wheeler

I recommend you visit the 10D/D60/D30 forum at dpreview. Lots of
expertise there.

Phil

Old June 26th 04, 02:41 AM
Nickyvonbuskergr

have you more money than sense?

das B

depending on your definition , do you have any photography sense to help me
with my post ?.
nicky

Old June 26th 04, 08:26 AM
Mark M

"Nickyvonbuskergr" wrote in message

im trying to improve my photography by using manual mode .

You seem to be starting from zero.

I would highly recommend starting with a book that covers all the basic
concepts.
I like John Shaw's book called "Nature Photographer's Field Guide."

-Even though it says "nature", and is based on 35mm film shooting, ALL of
the concepts covered will speak directly to your questions, and will explain
things in terms that are not only understandable, but also which are not an
insult ot your intelligence (as some of the more "basic" photography books
seem to be).

Start there... Then try things.

After you've done that, this forum will be a far more useful source of
information because you'll be able to ask more specific questions.

I think the reason you didn't get much help may be due to the impression
your post gives--that you're starting from scratch, and asked questions that
were all over the map.

Here's a link to the above book:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=books
-Mark

Old June 26th 04, 01:16 PM
RichPeopleSuck

On 26 Jun 2004 01:41:00 GMT,
(Nickyvonbuskergr) wrote:

have you more money than sense?

das B

depending on your definition , do you have any photography sense to help me
with my post ?.
nicky

I think what he means is

When I see posts like yours my heart sinks inside. Knowing that
someone who doesn't even have the most basic and rudimentary skills
needed to be a photographer, yet can afford top-of-the-line
equipment. I saved up for five years to finally get a decent digital
camera and it's nowhere near as nice as the one you have in your
hands--the very camera that would allow me to delve into those
night-time and available-light shots that I pride myself on.
Photography has been a passion and challenge all my life. Yet it's
never been in the cards where I could buy better equipment to
improve my photos and keep its capabilities ahead of my skills. I
always had to make-do with whatever I could. Sometimes with nothing
more than an old brownie-box camera that I could get at a
garage-sale or hand-me-down b/w darkroom supplies, and using up the
old chemicals and papers that were included, making each print count
because I could never afford replacement supplies.

All that your post brings to mind is an old African proverb:

"A rich man shames himself, a poor man shames us all."

It's very difficult to want to help someone who is lucky enough to
be able to get the equipment that would be better served if _ONLY_
it were in someone else's hands.

If you can afford to buy that camera maybe you can afford to pay
someone to teach you the basics of photography. That you could
easily even learn on your own if you weren't so used to just asking
for things all your life and people just handing you whatever you
wanted without you doing any real work at all for it. Yes, I've met
people like you all my life, it's why your post is so obviously
transparent. Asking for free advice from those not as fortunate as
you (lessons you could easily teach yourself), while swinging around
your new toy like some flashy new necklace isn't going to help your
image much, much less your photography. (pun intended)

Sorry if this post seems rude or out of place, but if you only knew
how many times I've helped others in life that had way more than
I'll ever have yet I never got anything more in return for it than a
"thanks!" I just couldn't pass up the chance to comment and get it
off my chest a little.

Maybe now you'll have some insight into why you're not getting the
free help you're asking for. From my perspective you don't deserve
it. But at least I'll have the compassion, courtesy, and respect to
let you know why. It's the only lesson I can afford to give someone
like you. It's not the lesson you expected nor wanted but maybe you
can learn from it. I doubt it though. People like can never learn
the important lessons in life.

btw: I built my computer from parts that I found in junk boxes, and
use a $9.95 per month dial-up access. In case you think my presence
online is hypocritical to my post.

Old June 26th 04, 02:59 PM
Nickyvonbuskergr

4 your information , i am not one who has been handed everything my whole life
..
i grew up poor on the other side of the tracks and that was when it wasn't so
politcly correct to be poor not alot of fun .

i am know around my town for my voluntering work with the troubled youth in
our community as i was once one myself.
thru sports program i am able to get thur to them in ways that others might not
..

i work my butt off at my job and i save and spend my money wisely(ur laughing
buying all the expensive equipment lol) , don't drink or drug , live a clean
life .

i have a passion for photography otherwise i wouldn't have spent my hard
earned money on equipment .

with that said was it a crime to ask for some guidance ?

i appreaciate where you think im coming from as i never cared for others who
had alot of everything i didn't growing up but thats just not the case here .
nicky

Old June 26th 04, 03:29 PM
bagal

Hi Nicky

One of the best ways to acquire skills is by some of the many online
training options open to you

May a camera pro near you has courses on offer?

Give it a try - practical experience is good but there ain't no point in
redesigning the wheel if you know what I mean

Old June 26th 04, 04:17 PM
Randall Ainsworth

In article , RichPeopleSuck
wrote:

[...]

It's always been that way. I've seen guys with Hasselblads that didn't
know what to do with them. I've seen people with Sinars that didn't
know an f/stop from an f-sharp.
Old June 26th 04, 05:27 PM
Charles Schuler

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=books

One of the best and should answer most of your questions.