A sign of the fall of 35mm

Old November 14th 05, 05:36 PM
Scott W

Default A sign of the fall of 35mm

I stumbled upon this and was a bit surprised, you can see the fall off
of activity on this news group.
The activity has dropped way down in the last few years on this group.

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.p...ent.35mm/about

This would seem to say people are loosing interest in 35mm at a pretty
rapid rate.

Scott

Old November 14th 05, 05:41 PM
Matt Clara

"Scott W" wrote in message
oups.com...
I stumbled upon this and was a bit surprised, you can see the fall off
of activity on this news group.
The activity has dropped way down in the last few years on this group.

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.p...ent.35mm/about

This would seem to say people are loosing interest in 35mm at a pretty
rapid rate.

Really? You don't think other factors could be at play there as well? Such
as a huge jump in web based forums available to photographic discussion, for
instance?

Matt Clara
www.mattclara.com

Old November 14th 05, 05:52 PM

In article .com,
says...
I stumbled upon this and was a bit surprised, you can see the fall off
of activity on this news group.
The activity has dropped way down in the last few years on this group.

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.p...ent.35mm/about

This would seem to say people are loosing interest in 35mm at a pretty
rapid rate.

Scott

This is about the same as a fall for almost any group I subscribe to
including political, music, art, etc. If fact in the last few months this
group has been the most active of all. The fall may have more to do with
trolls, nitwits, and jerks dominating discussions and tons of spam. Also,
it matters very little in the real world what a few hundred on any group
have opinions on and will do little to effect sales of film or digital
cameras.
Old November 14th 05, 05:55 PM
Scott W

wrote:
In article .com,
says...
I stumbled upon this and was a bit surprised, you can see the fall off
of activity on this news group.
The activity has dropped way down in the last few years on this group.

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.p...ent.35mm/about

This would seem to say people are loosing interest in 35mm at a pretty
rapid rate.

Scott

This is about the same as a fall for almost any group I subscribe to
including political, music, art, etc. If fact in the last few months this
group has been the most active of all. The fall may have more to do with
trolls, nitwits, and jerks dominating discussions and tons of spam. Also,
it matters very little in the real world what a few hundred on any group
have opinions on and will do little to effect sales of film or digital
cameras.

True, this group is far to small to have an effect, but its dropping
activity does say something. In checking other groups I don't see the
same level of drop off.

Scott

Old November 14th 05, 05:59 PM

In article .com,
says...

wrote:
In article .com,
says...
[...]

I would say that a lot of film camera discussions may have moved to
groups on yahoo and similar. I belong to a Pentax Spotmatic group that is
growing very fast. These groups seem to be a bit more tame and much less
spam and less of the "film is dead" garbage leaving it open more to
intelligent debate.
Old November 14th 05, 06:05 PM
Matt Clara

"Scott W" wrote in message
oups.com...

wrote:
In article .com,
says...
[...]

But you can't know what it's indicative of without running careful tests
with controls. You're just assuming, and you know what that's good for.

Matt Clara
www.mattclara.com

Old November 14th 05, 08:32 PM
Jeroen Wenting

"Scott W" wrote in message
oups.com...
I stumbled upon this and was a bit surprised, you can see the fall off
of activity on this news group.
The activity has dropped way down in the last few years on this group.

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.p...ent.35mm/about

This would seem to say people are loosing interest in 35mm at a pretty
rapid rate.

Nope. They've just come to realise that there's more fun in using those
cameras than in just talking/bragging about them.
I suggest you do the same instead of comparing meaningless statistics to see
if you're still using the most popular equipment or it's time to get another
penis extender.

Old November 15th 05, 12:09 AM
no_name

Matt Clara wrote:

"Scott W" wrote in message
oups.com...

I stumbled upon this and was a bit surprised, you can see the fall off
of activity on this news group.
The activity has dropped way down in the last few years on this group.

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.p...ent.35mm/about

This would seem to say people are loosing interest in 35mm at a pretty
rapid rate.

Really? You don't think other factors could be at play there as well? Such
as a huge jump in web based forums available to photographic discussion, for
instance?

Or perhaps a general drop-off in usenet.
Old November 15th 05, 12:15 AM
no_name

wrote:

In article .com,
says...

I stumbled upon this and was a bit surprised, you can see the fall off
of activity on this news group.
The activity has dropped way down in the last few years on this group.

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.p...ent.35mm/about

This would seem to say people are loosing interest in 35mm at a pretty
rapid rate.

Scott

This is about the same as a fall for almost any group I subscribe to
including political, music, art, etc. If fact in the last few months this
group has been the most active of all. The fall may have more to do with
trolls, nitwits, and jerks dominating discussions and tons of spam. Also,
it matters very little in the real world what a few hundred on any group
have opinions on and will do little to effect sales of film or digital
cameras.

That's a good possibility. Some groups after you filter out the noise
and nonsense, there's no traffic left.