FireWire card reader for SD memory?

Old September 15th 07, 07:25 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
sheepdog 2007

Default FireWire card reader for SD memory?

Am I missing something? I have searched for the last hour and can't
find an SD card reader that works via FireWWire. Plenty of cheap USB
card readers that handle SD, a few high-quality FireWire readers for
Compact Flash cards, but not the combination I'm looking for. I have
Mac G4s and have had problems with two USB 2.0 PCI cards now, and I
really want to use FireWire. Anyone know of a solution?
--
Cease then to grieve for your private afflictions, and address
yourselves instead to the safety of the republic

Old September 15th 07, 10:43 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
John Bean

On Fri, 14 Sep 2007 23:25:14 -0700, sheepdog 2007
wrote:

Am I missing something? I have searched for the last hour and can't
find an SD card reader that works via FireWWire. Plenty of cheap USB
card readers that handle SD, a few high-quality FireWire readers for
Compact Flash cards, but not the combination I'm looking for. I have
Mac G4s and have had problems with two USB 2.0 PCI cards now, and I
really want to use FireWire. Anyone know of a solution?

Sandisk Extreme card reader, available as USB or Firewire.
There are numerous others, you just haven't looked hard
enough.

--
John Bean
Old September 15th 07, 12:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
sheepdog 2007

wrote:

Am I missing something? I have searched for the last hour and can't
find an SD card reader that works via FireWWire. Plenty of cheap USB
card readers that handle SD, a few high-quality FireWire readers for
Compact Flash cards, but not the combination I'm looking for. I have
Mac G4s and have had problems with two USB 2.0 PCI cards now, and I
really want to use FireWire. Anyone know of a solution?

Sandisk Extreme card reader, available as USB or Firewire.
There are numerous others, you just haven't looked hard
enough.

Right. Although this one has one slot (CF), there is such a thing as an
adapter, but at least one user found that his Mac would not recognize
the SD card when using this workaround. Before I buy a $100 card reader
I want to know it will work better than the $1.99 plastic POS 25-in-one
I have now.

Old September 15th 07, 01:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
John Bean

wrote:

Am I missing something? I have searched for the last hour and can't
find an SD card reader that works via FireWWire. Plenty of cheap USB
card readers that handle SD, a few high-quality FireWire readers for
Compact Flash cards, but not the combination I'm looking for. I have
Mac G4s and have had problems with two USB 2.0 PCI cards now, and I
really want to use FireWire. Anyone know of a solution?

Sandisk Extreme card reader, available as USB or Firewire.
There are numerous others, you just haven't looked hard
enough.

Right. Although this one has one slot (CF), there is such a thing as an
adapter, but at least one user found that his Mac would not recognize
the SD card when using this workaround. Before I buy a $100 card reader
I want to know it will work better than the $1.99 plastic POS 25-in-one
I have now.

My Sandisk Extreme reader has slots for CF and SD that mount
as two separate devices sharing the same port, probably
using an internal hub. Anyhow, it handles SD (including
SDHC) just fine :-)

--
John Bean
Old September 15th 07, 01:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
John Bean

wrote:
Right. Although this one has one slot (CF)

Follow up, and an apology.

I use the USB version and the online (UK) supplier I bought
it from lists it as being available in both USB and firewire
versions. Having checked the Sandisk site it seems to be a
mistake on the part of my supplier, as the firewire version
is clearly a different product with a single CF slot.

My apologies for misleading you, my bad for tusting online
advertising :-(

--
John Bean
Old September 15th 07, 01:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
John Bean

On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 13:53:31 +0100, John Bean
wrote:

My apologies for misleading you, my bad for tusting online
advertising :-(

Sorry to follow up my own post but I found this:

http://www.amtron.com/reader/1394fisdmc.htm

That may be more like what you want :-)

--
John Bean
Old September 15th 07, 02:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
sheepdog 2007

wrote:

My apologies for misleading you, my bad for tusting online
advertising :-(

Sorry to follow up my own post but I found this:

http://www.amtron.com/reader/1394fisdmc.htm

That may be more like what you want :-)

Although this device is labeled "discontinued," it looks to be worth
following up. Thanks.

At some point--probably a price beyond which even I can see it's
smarter to get a new computer--I will have to accept USB over FireWire.

Old September 15th 07, 05:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
John Bean

wrote:

My apologies for misleading you, my bad for tusting online
advertising :-(

Sorry to follow up my own post but I found this:

http://www.amtron.com/reader/1394fisdmc.htm

That may be more like what you want :-)

Although this device is labeled "discontinued," it looks to be worth
following up. Thanks.

At some point--probably a price beyond which even I can see it's
smarter to get a new computer--I will have to accept USB over FireWire.

FWIW I have a CF/SD adaptor (Datafab FA-CFIISD) that works
fine with SD (not SDHC) cards in the CF slot of the Sandisk
reader, but there's a big speed hit - the adaptor seems to
max out at about 40x speed no matter how fast the SD card.

Just a thought if you need to go that route.

--
John Bean
Old September 15th 07, 07:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Paul Mitchum

sheepdog 2007 wrote:

Am I missing something? I have searched for the last hour and can't
find an SD card reader that works via FireWWire. Plenty of cheap USB
card readers that handle SD, a few high-quality FireWire readers for
Compact Flash cards, but not the combination I'm looking for. I have
Mac G4s and have had problems with two USB 2.0 PCI cards now, and I
really want to use FireWire. Anyone know of a solution?

It seems to me that the real problem here is the PCI cards. If you're
going to buy a $100 SD reader that won't work on non-FireWire machines,
you might better spend $100 getting a PCI card that works, or a better
driver for the ones you've got.

--
http://www.xoverboard.com/cartoons/2..._argument.html
Old September 15th 07, 08:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Robert Haar

On 9/15/07 2:16 PM, "Paul Mitchum" wrote:

sheepdog 2007 wrote:

Am I missing something? I have searched for the last hour and can't
find an SD card reader that works via FireWWire. Plenty of cheap USB
card readers that handle SD, a few high-quality FireWire readers for
Compact Flash cards, but not the combination I'm looking for. I have
Mac G4s and have had problems with two USB 2.0 PCI cards now, and I
really want to use FireWire. Anyone know of a solution?

It seems to me that the real problem here is the PCI cards. If you're
going to buy a $100 SD reader that won't work on non-FireWire machines,
you might better spend $100 getting a PCI card that works, or a better
driver for the ones you've got.

Except that the OP said he has a Mac. Macs corm with Firewire standard,
typically both 400 and 800 versions.

I have Western Digital Media Center that includes a hard disk and several
card reader slots (CF, SD, XD, ?) and both USB and Firewire interfaces.