Organization software

Old March 21st 05, 05:27 PM
Fitpix

Default Organization software

OK, as my image base builds and builds I need a program to help me organize
all the mess! I am looking at Extensis Portfolio, but would like some other
opinions. What do I want to do? The big thing would be cataloging and
locating my images based upon key words. Let's say I shoot Cedar Falls in
Hocking Hills. I would like to key that image w "waterfall", "Hocking
Hills", "Cedar Falls" etc etc and be able to type in a key word and have the
software bring up the matches in a thumbnail etc.

--
David Fields
Owner and photographer

Old March 21st 05, 06:45 PM
Joseph Meehan

Fitpix wrote:
OK, as my image base builds and builds I need a program to help me
organize all the mess! I am looking at Extensis Portfolio, but would
like some other opinions. What do I want to do? The big thing would
be cataloging and locating my images based upon key words. Let's say
I shoot Cedar Falls in Hocking Hills. I would like to key that image
w "waterfall", "Hocking Hills", "Cedar Falls" etc etc and be able to
type in a key word and have the software bring up the matches in a
thumbnail etc.

An Ohio boy I see.

There are a lot of possibilities. The choice is really more about
personal preferences than intrinsic value.

I use Adobe's Elements 3 which has both the organizational software and
editing software. It fits my way of working and needs well.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Old March 21st 05, 10:36 PM
be_pissed

Fitpix wrote:
OK, as my image base builds and builds I need a program to help me organize
all the mess! I am looking at Extensis Portfolio, but would like some other
opinions. What do I want to do? The big thing would be cataloging and
locating my images based upon key words. Let's say I shoot Cedar Falls in
Hocking Hills. I would like to key that image w "waterfall", "Hocking
Hills", "Cedar Falls" etc etc and be able to type in a key word and have the
software bring up the matches in a thumbnail etc.

I was recommended to try IMatch. About 4 days after trying it I knew it
was what I wanted so bought it. I probably still only use about 2-5% of
the features it has.
It might not be what you're after as but is definitely worth looking at.
I'm an amateur with over 36000 images cataloged. One day I will sift
through them and keyword and sort them. ;-)

Check out : http://www.photools.com
Old March 22nd 05, 01:28 AM

Hi,

Anyphoto Manager may help you. It is a professional photo management
software which can help you acquire, organize, browse, edit or
optimize and share your digital photos. A trial is available is from
http://www.any-photo-album-software.com

Old March 22nd 05, 10:03 AM
adm

"Jan Nademlejnsky" wrote in message
I found that the free Picasa from Google is excellent.
http://www.picasa.com/index.php?tid=Y2NpZD0zNzY3
The only one think which I do not like is the saving files. It always
creates new files and you cannot overwrite the original image. There is a
work around, which is unnecessary pain. It duplicates film processing. You
have negative and create images from it. The negative always stays the
same. To me this is silly idea in this digital age. If I want to keep the
original image then I would normally use Save As and save it under
different name. There is no such option. This program has excellent
features to enhance the images, catalog, labels and is extremely easy to
use.

Ah - now for me, that's EXACTLY what I want. Especially as Picasa now
supports RAW files.

I want to keep the exactl original as a digital negative, and then if I just
want to make quick prints, I make adjustments in Picasa and export to .jpg
files for the lab. If I want to make significant changes to the original, I
open it in Photoshop, then save the result using "save as" either as a TIFF
or jpg.

It is very close to which I always wanted: simplicity for the most common
tasks and cataloging of the same image into different categories: You
select thumbnails, right click and select (or create) label "Mother",
apply, select "Father", apply, add another picture/ select "daughter",
apply....

I love it - as a browser, cataloguer, emailer etc.... It's also good for
quick simple fixes. Of course, it is not a decent image editor by any
stretch of the imagination, but then that's why I have Photoshop.

Old March 22nd 05, 11:24 PM
be_pissed

Good luck .. IMatch is pretty intense, but I liked the features, and
it's what I wanted... mainly, offline media thumbnails (CD's, DVD's etc)
and the ability to add keyword info, pop them into catagories, search
for images of similar type, size, duplicates or apearence ... and of
course the ability to grow.
Slightly technical I suppose but the help info supplied is very in depth
if needed.

Fitpix wrote:
"be_****ed" wrote in message

Fitpix wrote:

[...]

Actually after I posted this yesterday I kept my search going and came
across IMatch and downloaded the evaluation. I am getting my images organzed
today and will let you know what I think!

Old March 23rd 05, 12:34 AM
Julian Tan

Hey David,

If you're after something freeware, try Picasa (http://www.picasa.com).
It's very fast and good at image organisation, with tagging and
keywords.

If you wouldn't mind paying, try Adobe Photoshop Elements 3, which has
both image editing functionality, and album management.

Cheers,
Julian
http://www.shuttertalk.com - the friendliest photography forums on the
net!

Old March 23rd 05, 01:05 AM
Charles Kerekes

David,

I went through a similar research not too long ago and settled on
IMatch from www.photools.com. It does an excellent job of cataloging
and searching for images.

One of my favorite features of this software is the very powerful and
easy to use categorization. It lets you categorize in almost any way
you can imagine.

I also make extensive use of the EXIF and IPTC editing capabilites.
From your signature block I assume you are a professional, so this may

be useful to you as well.

IMatch also does a great job of batch processing images, generating web
pages, and a number of other things. You can even add your own
functions if you are willing to write some scripts.

I hope this helps.

Charlie

Got digital photos? Show them off!
http://FlyingSamPhoto.com