How big is YOUR card ?

Old December 8th 04, 03:09 AM
Eric Gill

"you know who maybe" wrote in news:xvktd.9917$_
:

From: Eric Gill

Lyra is essentially the same thing, only with a 3.8" viewscreen, TV out,
music, video and pic playback, and a (substantially) higher pricetag.

For brute-force gobs of portable storage, the X-Drive is a good choice,
especially since you can buy your own drive mechanism. Upgradeability is
not a feature of any of the players.

Also check out Epson's new digital wallet.
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...s/P-2000.shtml

Why not simply tether the camera to a unit with a 80 GB Hard drive?

Because of the tether.

No one wants it. It's annoying enough in the studio, in the field it's a
royal pain.

The Wi-Fi attachment is another issue altogether.

Now
someone go take the credit for my idea and make a lot of money.

Don't look now, but such things have been around for some time.

Old December 8th 04, 04:44 AM
Jer

William H. Hathaway wrote:

Seriously, I carry a 512MB (~150 pics with my camera on "super-high
quality" JPEG), and a 256MB and a very old 96MB as spares. And I've
used them all on numerous occasions.

Me too (haven't read that chestnut in a long while.)
But seriously, I also use a 512MB and carry spares of 256MB, 126MB,
and even the 32MB that came with my first digital camera.

Also, you might want to increase the resolution of the pics you're
taking, if possible. You only get one chance to take a picture; you
should make it as good a shot as possible (within reason, of course -
RAW may take too long). You won't get a chance to go back and shoot
that exact same moment again.....

Agree with the "too long". With the cam I got, the max resolution
takes
so long to read to the card, I see three or four shots passing by, forever
missed. The next level down is noticably faster and I rarely notice
a substantial difference of the same scene taken both ways.
(Yes, with more money I could get a faster cam, but I deficit like
a government as it is ...)

But that last line grabs me - there are at least three pictures I missed
for one reason or another (no camera; out of film; shutter not cocked
when I
thought it was) - and I remember the missed shots more strongly
than many that I did get. The images in my mind of missed shots also
seem more vivid and meaningful than even the beautiful ones I did
capture - those are frozen 'as is'. The mental images are only stored
in my head, but can't be altered by cropping, printing, mounting, etc.
The next advance in imaging technology ought to be transferring mental
images into digital. Can you imagine your dreams automatically
recorded on hard drive?

Interesting you mention this, but someone has already explored the idea
of recording memories for others to view.... and a large bag of popcorn
is strongly recommended.

====================================
Plot Summary for the film "Brainstorm" (1983)

Brilliant researchers Lillian Reynolds and Michael Brace have developed
a system of recording and playing back actual experiences of people.
Once the capability of tapping into "higher brain functions" is added
in, and you can literally jump into someone else's head and play back
recordings of what he or she was thinking, feeling, seeing, etc., at the
time of the recording, the applications for the project quickly spiral
out of control. While Michael Brace uses the system to become close
again to Karen Brace, his estranged wife who also works on the project,
others start abusing it for intense sexual experiences and other logical
but morally questionable purposes. The government tries to kick Michael
and Lillian off the project once the vast military potential of the
technology is discovered. It soon becomes obvious that the government is
interested in more than just missile guidance systems. The lab starts
producing mind torture recordings and other psychosis inducing material.
When one of the researchers dies and tapes the experience of death,
Michael is convinced that he must playback this tape to honor the memory
of the researcher and to become enlightened. When another researcher
dies during playback the tape is locked away and Michael has to fight
against his former colleagues and the government lackeys that now run
his lab in order to play back and confront the "scariest thing any of us
will ever face" - death itself.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0085271/plotsummary

--
jer email reply - I am not a 'ten'

Old December 8th 04, 06:30 AM
Marshall Schuon

On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 15:46:08 -0700, "RJ"
wrote:

I see plug-in cards sized anywhere
from 64meg to 512meg.

Any reason to have half-dozen small cards ?
( or any spares at all ? )

I found a 512meg SD card on sale....
When I plugged it in, my camera announced I now had
capacity for 800+ pictures.

Unless you're taking pics for the high school graduating class,
would there be reason for any more ( spare ) cards ?

......so much to learn...... ;o)

rj

_______

We had exactly 800 people in my senior high school class. So ...

Marshall

Old December 8th 04, 07:14 AM
Pete S.

On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 14:48:40 +1300, Colin D
wrote:

"Pete S." wrote:

I'm only taking 2 x 1Gb CF cards and a lap top with a 160Gb external
drive to NZ.... And 2 camera bodies....
Pete S.

www.derwentelec.clara.co.uk

Fear not, Pete. You can always buy more cards out here in NZ, which you
will probably need if you get to see some of the scenery here {:-)

Colin (NZ)

So they have stuff like that out there? Bugger.......

Last trip I was on a roll a day. This trip I won't have film
limitations (how much can I carry) and I'll know what I took straight
away.

Flying friday.

Pete S.

www.derwentelec.clara.co.uk

Old December 8th 04, 10:33 AM
Bob Harrington

Darrell Larose wrote:
"Charlie Self" wrote in message
Darrell Larose writes:

My 1 GB CF crad holds 70 Pentax RAW files (* ist D)

Or 56 TIFF, or 909 at the lowest JPEG setting. Quite a range.

Actually at 1536x1024(s) "good" quality it will store 2832 images, in
comic book quality However I normally shoot RAW, or once and a
while highest quality JPEG.

With my Maxxum 7D, set to smallest size and highest compression, and
given an empty 4Gb Microdrive - reports room for 7400 images - and it
tends to calculate rather conservatively, I wouldn't be surprised to get
close to 10,000...

Shoot all day without having to change a rolls, sure - but that
sucker'll be rewinding all night! ;^)

Bob ^,,^

Old December 8th 04, 10:44 AM
Bob Harrington

From: Eric Gill

Lyra is essentially the same thing, only with a 3.8" viewscreen, TV
out, music, video and pic playback, and a (substantially) higher
pricetag. For brute-force gobs of portable storage, the X-Drive is a
good
choice, especially since you can buy your own drive mechanism.
Upgradeability is not a feature of any of the players.

Also check out Epson's new digital wallet.
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...s/P-2000.shtml

Why not simply tether the camera to a unit with a 80 GB Hard drive?
Now someone go take the credit for my idea and make a lot of money.

Better yet - forego tethers and touchy memory devices completely! All
we have to do is figure out a way to coat something - some kind of flat
plastic perhaps? - with some sort of light sensitive material. You
could then conveniently download the day's shoot to your corner drug
store...

I will happily give up all rights to my idea, all I ask in return is
that this amazing new miracle product be called "Bob".

Bob ^,,^