How big is YOUR card ?

Old December 7th 04, 04:14 AM
MarkČ

"RJ" wrote in message

I see plug-in cards sized anywhere
from 64meg to 512meg.

Any reason to have half-dozen small cards ?
( or any spares at all ? )

I found a 512meg SD card on sale....
When I plugged it in, my camera announced I now had
capacity for 800+ pictures.

Unless you're taking pics for the high school graduating class,
would there be reason for any more ( spare ) cards ?

......so much to learn...... ;o)

Much of that depends upon how many megabytes each image taken by your camera
consumes.

With my Canon 10D, I can only shoot about 127 full resolution RAW files with
embedded jpegs.

So...what to you is 800-shot overkill, to me wouldn't even be the equivalent
of two rolls of film.

Old December 7th 04, 06:42 AM
MarkČ

"Ken Weitzel" wrote in message

wrote:
I see plug-in cards sized anywhere
from 64meg to 512meg.

Any reason to have half-dozen small cards ?
( or any spares at all ? )

I found a 512meg SD card on sale....
When I plugged it in, my camera announced I now had
capacity for 800+ pictures.

Unless you're taking pics for the high school graduating class,
would there be reason for any more ( spare ) cards ?

......so much to learn...... ;o)

Hi...

The Peter Principle works nicely here - "things will
expand to fill the space available for their storage"

Yes, have several. Perhaps one large (relatively expensive)
one, and a few smaller ones.

If you should lose one, as a recent poster did, you haven't
lost everything.

On the other hand...the more numerous and small the cards...the greater the
likelihood of their loss or mishandling. In my opinion, the odds of loss or
destruction due to frequent handling in the field far out-weigh the risks
associated with data loss.

Old December 7th 04, 06:55 AM
MarkČ

"tomcas" wrote in message
Marcel wrote:
You don't want to change cards or worry about the numbers. You take your
shots, whatever the number. You cull afterwards, yet you want to review

the
best shots later and the more shots you have, the better your chances of
getting great souvenirs.
Marcel

You have a good point but it can be risky putting all your souvenirs in
one basket.

Sometimes it works the other way though...

Which is safer to carry?...

....A dozen eggs you must juggle in the air...or a basket that holds them
all?

Sometimes the basket is precisely what you should use.

When shooting wildlife, or at the beach, or in the rain, or on the
sidelines, or in the crowds, etc. etc.... Pulling tiny little drives out of
sensitive equipment is the LAST things one should have to do with
regularity. More often than not, I find security in NOT having to expose
lots of little cards to the endless shuffling through the mayh dangerous
environments (to cards, at least) we find ourselves shooting in.

Keeping my card safe INSIDE my camera often outweighs the "benefit" of lots
of little cards I may lose or destroy in teh endless fiddling...not to
mention the SHOTS I will inevitably MISS because I've once again run out of
space at the critical moment.

The BEST solution...is as follows (even if not the most economical):

Many LARGE cards.
This way, you can shoot non-stop in those fast paced moments where you HAVE
to get the shot...but can opt for removing/replacing the card even BEFORE it
is full if you're worried about data loss.

Personally...when you can buy 1GB sanDisk cards for $69 at costco, I think
even the multiple-big solution is even economically sound.
-Mark

Old December 7th 04, 07:02 AM
zeitgeist

I see plug-in cards sized anywhere
from 64meg to 512meg.

Any reason to have half-dozen small cards ?
( or any spares at all ? )

I found a 512meg SD card on sale....
When I plugged it in, my camera announced I now had
capacity for 800+ pictures.

Unless you're taking pics for the high school graduating class,
would there be reason for any more ( spare ) cards ?

......so much to learn...... ;o)

rj

a small card is handy to transfer image files to a photo finisher, or just
to keep you from shooting 800 shots. for me, one 512 card holds some 32
shots with my 14mp kodak. but I still use them so I can copy the entire
card to one folder and then burn one back up cd by dragging it over to the
drive. eventually I will get a dvd burner and get some 4gb cards

Old December 7th 04, 09:10 AM
Charlie Self

Darrell Larose writes:

My 1 GB CF crad holds 70 Pentax RAW files (* ist D)

Or 56 TIFF, or 909 at the lowest JPEG setting. Quite a range.

Charlie Self
"Ambition is a poor excuse for not having sense enough to be lazy."
Edgar Bergen, (Charlie McCarthy)