Portable Photo Printers - Kodak/Epson/??

Old December 3rd 04, 12:40 AM
Bob Hayden

Default Portable Photo Printers - Kodak/Epson/??

I need to get a new camera and portable photo printer for use in school to
take pictures of students art projects and then print them for use in their
notebooks. I know Kodak makes some printer docks specifically for their
cameras and Epson makes a nice standalone printer. ANy thoughts on these and
what to look for or what you might recommend? One concern is that the Kodak
seems to have a pretty high per print cost...would like to keep it as
efficient cost-wise as possible.

Old December 3rd 04, 02:44 AM
Michael Meissner

nesredep egrob Long. -31,48.21 Lat. 115,47.40 writes:

On Fri, 03 Dec 2004 00:40:03 GMT, "Bob Hayden"
wrote:

I need to get a new camera and portable photo printer for use in school to
take pictures of students art projects and then print them for use in their
notebooks. I know Kodak makes some printer docks specifically for their
cameras and Epson makes a nice standalone printer. ANy thoughts on these and
what to look for or what you might recommend? One concern is that the Kodak
seems to have a pretty high per print cost...would like to keep it as
efficient cost-wise as possible.

Maybe you should also consider Canon dye sublimation printer for
postcard size (CP400) - OK cost per print is considerable but the
prints are durable - rated to 100 years. I have just done a set of
xmas cards, after the picture was printed on one side, I printed a
message on the back using a Laser printer which gives considerable
heat.

Ummm, the previous generation of Canon dye sub printers (CP330, CP220) are
rated at only 7 years according to the Wilhelm research institute. Given the
usual complaints about Canon's fading across the line, I would want to see
proof about the 100 year claim:

http://www.wilhelm-research.com/4x6/...e_preview.html

As it says, if you want long life, go with Epson. The one printer that I
wished they had tested was the HiTi printers, which tend to be made for event
type photographers, and probably are more rugged than the consumer printers.
Note, the HP long life times are only for swellable papers, so you need to make
it waterproof via spary or lamination or else use nanoporous papers which only
last a decade or so. That being said, I do like the colors that come out of my
HP 375B, and since it can run on a battery, it gives me more options.

The pictures came out just as good as they went in. The other
advantage is that you retain your pcitures and print them better than
those done big big companies and you retain copyright. I am looking at
getting such printer in A4 size

--
Michael Meissner
email:
Old December 3rd 04, 05:43 AM
Bob the Printer

"Bob Hayden" wrote in message
news
I need to get a new camera and portable photo printer for use in school to
take pictures of students art projects and then print them for use in
their
notebooks. I know Kodak makes some printer docks specifically for their
cameras and Epson makes a nice standalone printer. ANy thoughts on these
and
what to look for or what you might recommend? One concern is that the
Kodak
seems to have a pretty high per print cost...would like to keep it as
efficient cost-wise as possible.

I use my Canon CP-330 dye-sub printer for portable uses. Actually I use it
for all of my smaller (4x6 and under) photo printing, hooked up to my PC.

It is completely self-contained (has a replaceable and removable rechargable
Litium Ion battery) and can print from any camera that is Pictbridge
compatible. I've printed to it from my Digital Rebel, A70, and Sony digital8
camcorder with excellent results.

One of the nice things about the Canon dye-sub printers is that you can use
4x6 paper and ribbon, or a smaller credit card size paper and ribbon (very
nice pocketable size), or 4x8 paper and ribbon for quasi-panoramic uses. The
supplied Canon software makes it very easy to add fancy captions and borders
also (when used via the USB interface with a PC). Of course you can also use
what they call 'sticker' papers and ribbons to make multiple (but small)
images on one sheet, that have a self-adhesive back.. I paid $220 for mine a
few months ago and it is quieter, smaller, and faster than my former HiTi
PS-630..

God Bless America!

And HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

Bob the Printer

Our web pages are located at:
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/bdolson/

Old December 3rd 04, 10:44 PM
Bob Headrick

"Michael Meissner" wrote in message
I have the HP 375B (with the battery). I believe bluetooth is an extra cost
option, and not part of the standard package. One thing I just discovered
yesterday is the HP can read from portable hard drives like my CompactDrive
that I use to offload from my memory cards.

Note, however HP is generally not the cheapest printer in terms of consumable
costs.

For the Photosmart 375 or 325 printers see the HP 700 Photo Value pack, which
provides an ink cartridge and 125 sheets of premium glossy photo paper:
http://www.shopping.hp.com/cgi-bin/h...me=product.cgi

The Photosmart 375 is more compact than the Epson Picturemate and has the added
advantage of battery operation (on the Photosmart 375B model).

Old December 4th 04, 10:36 PM
Ken Weitzel

Bob Hayden wrote:

I need to get a new camera and portable photo printer for use in school to
take pictures of students art projects and then print them for use in their
notebooks. I know Kodak makes some printer docks specifically for their
cameras and Epson makes a nice standalone printer. ANy thoughts on these and
what to look for or what you might recommend? One concern is that the Kodak
seems to have a pretty high per print cost...would like to keep it as
efficient cost-wise as possible.

Hi Bob...

Using one of the walmart or equivalent stores will be
far far cheaper than printing themself on site - and if
the quantity is great enough, likely even faster.

Then again, considering that they're for notebooks, archival
quality shouldn't be of concern, maybe even bubble jet is
adequate. Does your school have a computer club or class?

Just thinking...

Ken

Old December 9th 04, 03:59 PM
Ron Baird

Hi Bob,

Sorry to be coming in late on this issue, was off on vacation.

Actually, the value of the dye sublimation printers have been reviewed by
others, so it should be apparent that this technology, in relation to
yielding better and prints that will be more protective of sticky fingers -
can be washed off. Inkjet cannot be made wet without trouble. But, on the
other hand, you can make prints cheaper with Inkjet than with dye
sublimation.

An alternative to both of these is having prints made at a printer for
around .25 cents or so. You can get all the pictures together and send them
on to Ofoto who will return them to you in a matter of a couple of days or
so. You can then review and distribute to your class. Lots of fun and a
project the kids may look forward to. Either way, Dye Sub, Inkjet, or
photofinisher, your project sounds like fun. If you need the prints right
away, then I would limit the number of pictures that can be made and go with
the Dye Sub, even though the cost may be more. Pictures posted on a fridge
may want to be shielded from splashes etc.

Talk to you soon, Bob, let me know if you need any help with these
technologies in the future.

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company

news