Nikon N75 taking grainy pics...any recommendations.

Old November 14th 04, 05:53 PM
Satish

Default Nikon N75 taking grainy pics...any recommendations.

Hi,

I recently bought a Nikon N75 and use a 200 speed film. What I
notice is that all the pictures I take are noisy(grainy) -- especially
the night time photos. The shadows in the day time are also slightly
grainy. At first I thought it was 'cos I was using a 400 speed
film...but I see the same problem with a 200 speed film also. I've
been to Ritz camera to get their "perfect photo" processing -- but
stil l see the grains. Would any of you have recommendations for me to
try out?

Thanks,
Satish.
Old November 14th 04, 08:32 PM
nathantw

Buy a tripod or flash unit and use 100 speed film or slower. Slide film,
such as Kodachrome 64, will make your mouth drop. I have some night photos I
took when I was in London using K64 and then enlarged them to 16x20 and
they're pretty grain free. It's quite amazing.

om...

Old November 14th 04, 08:49 PM
columbotrek

Look at the density of the negatives. Or better yet, run a roll of
slide film through. What you are looking for is under exposure. In the
case of the negatives they will appear thin and light. In the case of
the slides, they will appear dark. If the density of your images is ok,
switch labs.

Old November 14th 04, 10:46 PM
tangwong

I noticed that some place developed negative better than others. I suspect
that they underdeveloped your film. I have seen 400 speed film with no grain
and grainy 100 speed film all because of poor processing.

Old November 15th 04, 04:52 PM
Bill Tuthill

Satish wrote:

I recently bought a Nikon N75 and use a 200 speed film. What I
notice is that all the pictures I take are noisy(grainy) -- especially
the night time photos. The shadows in the day time are also slightly
grainy. At first I thought it was 'cos I was using a 400 speed
film...but I see the same problem with a 200 speed film also. I've
been to Ritz camera to get their "perfect photo" processing -- but
stil l see the grains. Would any of you have recommendations for me to
try out?

All 200 speed films are grainier than the best 400 speed films,
Fuji NPH and Kodak 400UC. See http://creekin.net/films.htm for details.

Hope you're not using center-weighted metering, because that sux.
Best way to avoid dark-area grain is to spot-meter for the shadows.