HP 5 + Rodinal = Grainy prints ?

Old June 8th 04, 01:35 AM
Magic

Default HP 5 + Rodinal = Grainy prints ?

I just developed ( first time in 17 years ) my two HP 5 films in Rodinal 1+
25 @ 68 F for 8 min just like the instruction says and then stopped and
fixed in Kodak chemicals.
The subjects where outdoors , some in the shadow , some indoors daylight but
none with flash
And the prints where done by my local foto shop ( so far very happy with
them ) on Fuji Frontier machine on color paper ( all they carry ) 4X6 size
and they are "very grainy"
Now my question is ... is it possible that I screwed up negs or the lab
screwed prints or they are going to be grainy ( 400 ASA ) or I should have
used different developer? to get less grain
Any answers are much appreciated Thanks Magic

Old June 8th 04, 11:28 AM
David Kilpatrick

Magic wrote:

I just developed ( first time in 17 years ) my two HP 5 films in Rodinal 1+
25 @ 68 F for 8 min just like the instruction says and then stopped and
fixed in Kodak chemicals.
The subjects where outdoors , some in the shadow , some indoors daylight but
none with flash
And the prints where done by my local foto shop ( so far very happy with
them ) on Fuji Frontier machine on color paper ( all they carry ) 4X6 size
and they are "very grainy"
Now my question is ... is it possible that I screwed up negs or the lab
screwed prints or they are going to be grainy ( 400 ASA ) or I should have
used different developer? to get less grain
Any answers are much appreciated Thanks Magic

Your header said it all : HP5+ Rodinal = grainy prints. It ain't what
Rodinal was meant for!

David

Old June 8th 04, 11:46 AM
Al Doyle

Magic:
Rodinal is well known for producing very sharp images,
but that sharpness comes at the cost of very high grain.
Try HC-110 instead. Not as sharp, longer tonal scale,
and much less grain.

Al Doyle

Old June 8th 04, 05:31 PM
Dana Myers

Magic wrote:

Now my question is ... is it possible that I screwed up negs or the lab
screwed prints or they are going to be grainy ( 400 ASA ) or I should have
used different developer? to get less grain

Rodinal and HP5 (or Tri-X) is *quite* grainy to my eye
(Rodinal is known to enhance sharpness ;-) ).

I would suggest trying D-76 (or Ilford's equivalent ID-11).

Dana

Old June 8th 04, 08:38 PM
Michael Scarpitti

"Magic" wrote in message ...
I just developed ( first time in 17 years ) my two HP 5 films in Rodinal 1+
25 @ 68 F for 8 min just like the instruction says and then stopped and
fixed in Kodak chemicals.
The subjects where outdoors , some in the shadow , some indoors daylight but
none with flash
And the prints where done by my local foto shop ( so far very happy with
them ) on Fuji Frontier machine on color paper ( all they carry ) 4X6 size
and they are "very grainy"
Now my question is ... is it possible that I screwed up negs or the lab
screwed prints or they are going to be grainy ( 400 ASA ) or I should have
used different developer? to get less grain
Any answers are much appreciated Thanks Magic

WAY too much development! Try 1+50 for 8 minutes.
Old June 10th 04, 01:26 AM
Michael A. Covington

You used a grainy film and a very old-technology (vintage 1887) coarse-grain
developer...

HP5 was designed for modern developers such as Ilford ID-11 or Kodak D-76.

But it is still a somewhat grainy film.

"Magic" wrote in message
I just developed ( first time in 17 years ) my two HP 5 films in Rodinal

1+
25 @ 68 F for 8 min just like the instruction says and then stopped and
fixed in Kodak chemicals.
The subjects where outdoors , some in the shadow , some indoors daylight

but
none with flash
And the prints where done by my local foto shop ( so far very happy with
them ) on Fuji Frontier machine on color paper ( all they carry ) 4X6 size
and they are "very grainy"
Now my question is ... is it possible that I screwed up negs or the lab
screwed prints or they are going to be grainy ( 400 ASA ) or I should have
used different developer? to get less grain
Any answers are much appreciated Thanks Magic

Rodinal help for new user DG In The Darkroom 8 May 26th 04 11:26 AM
Where to get real (i.e. non-digital) color prints? David Nebenzahl In The Darkroom 8 May 14th 04 08:11 AM
Rodinal Hektor Gonzal In The Darkroom 67 April 7th 04 03:32 PM
Rodinal Alparslan In The Darkroom 14 April 3rd 04 10:23 PM
Suggested development times for 400TX in Rodinal? jjs In The Darkroom 0 January 24th 04 01:13 AM