Problem with reading SD card formatted in Kodak Easyshare CX7220 on USB card reader

Old October 28th 04, 05:03 PM
Mecca

Default Problem with reading SD card formatted in Kodak Easyshare CX7220 on USB card reader

Hi, all,

Just got a Kodak Easyshare CX7220. I notice when I format a SD/MMC
card in the camera, the USB card reader on my PC (running Windows XP
pro SP2) have a hard time recognizing the card. When try to open the
card on the reader, explorer would hang for a long time. Eventually
(after 1-2 min), the card would finally be recognized and from there
on I have no trouble reading/writing to card on the reader. If I take
the card out and re-insert to the reader, the problem repeats.

If I format the card in the reader first (using FAT), I have no
trouble taking it back and forth between the reader and camera.

I have try it with multiple SD / MMC card and all exhibit the same
problem. I try formatting the card in another camera and things work
fine.

Is this a known probem with this or other Kodak camera? Should I
return/exchange the camera I just got? I have 10 days to decide?

Thanks!

mecca
Old October 28th 04, 11:09 PM
Ken Davey

Mecca wrote:
[...]

Try a different card reader - borrow one if you can.
If that clears the problem you have a defective reader -not unknown,
specially cheap ones (and I tend to think they are all cheap).
Hope this helps.
Ken.

--
http://www.rupert.net/~solar
Return address supplied by 'spammotel'

Old October 29th 04, 05:33 AM
Mecca

"Ken Davey" wrote in message ...
Try a different card reader - borrow one if you can.
If that clears the problem you have a defective reader -not unknown,
specially cheap ones (and I tend to think they are all cheap).
Hope this helps.
Ken.

I try different readers already. One of which is the built-in reader
on my Toshiba laptop which I hope is not too crappy yet the same
problem there. I'm hoping someone with the same or similar camera can
try it out.

Thanks for the reply!
Old October 29th 04, 10:06 AM
Ron Hunter

Mecca wrote:
"Ken Davey" wrote in message ...

Try a different card reader - borrow one if you can.
If that clears the problem you have a defective reader -not unknown,
specially cheap ones (and I tend to think they are all cheap).
Hope this helps.
Ken.

I try different readers already. One of which is the built-in reader
on my Toshiba laptop which I hope is not too crappy yet the same
problem there. I'm hoping someone with the same or similar camera can
try it out.

Thanks for the reply!

I have seen the same problem, but it usually goes away after a few
insertions, removals of the card. I suspect the contacts in the reader
aren't gold as the ones on the cards (at least the ones I have) are and
the contacts become dirty from environmental effects.
Old November 5th 04, 02:49 PM
Ron Baird

Greetings Mecca,

Not sure why that might happen as the camera is formatting as FAT. FAT is
suggested by Kodak and is should work fine. If you are able to make contact
at all and have things work OK, then I suspect there is something other than
the format going on. If you format at FAT in your computer, the card should
perform fine. Since the issue seems to appear when you have had the card in
your camera possibly there is something in the camera that is leaving a
residual effect?

Bring your camera and card along with you when you visit a local computer or
camera shop. Try formating the card, and try it in some other cameras,
including a model similar to one you own. If it works well and you have no
trouble, yet when you will know there is something going on with your
camera. If there is you can simply call the Kodak team and get your camera
in for service if it is necessary. 800 235-6325.

If you need my help, let me know and I will try to help further.

Talk to you soon,

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company

om...