Depth of field - two of them?

Old February 10th 19, 09:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Commander Kinsey

Default Depth of field - two of them?

On Tue, 05 Feb 2019 12:30:22 -0000, Whisky-dave wrote:

On Monday, 4 February 2019 22:58:27 UTC, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Fri, 01 Feb 2019 15:27:41 -0000, Whisky-dave wrote:

On Thursday, 31 January 2019 22:20:50 UTC, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Thu, 31 Jan 2019 11:42:28 -0000, Whisky-dave wrote:

On Wednesday, 30 January 2019 21:16:58 UTC, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Mon, 28 Jan 2019 11:00:17 -0000, Whisky-dave wrote:

On Friday, 25 January 2019 19:32:37 UTC, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Tue, 22 Jan 2019 10:23:53 -0000, Whisky-dave wrote:

On Monday, 21 January 2019 18:37:59 UTC, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Mon, 21 Jan 2019 16:48:13 -0000, Whisky-dave wrote:

If I'm looking for something, I want to buy it today, not when an ad happens to appear.

How do you get soemthing today from amazon via china.
You see I order lots of things on behalf of the students and they often want things yesterday.

If I'm in a hurry I buy from a UK Ebay seller who has a 1st class post option. You could get it the next day, as fast as any mail order outlet like CPC, RS etc.

Finaince dept

Stop letting them control you.

They don't control me.

You said they prevent you from using Ebay, so they're controlling you.

No they aren;t controlling me I can yuo ebay anytime I like.
I did so about 3 weeks ago spending over 300 on ebay.
It was my own money for personal stuff.
What I can't do is spend tax payers money on ebay.

That's what I was referring to. They're choosing where you spend their money.

Well it is their money who choses where you spend yuor money the misses ?

You're the buyer,

No I;m not the college is, that's who's money is being spend after it's taken from the tax payer.

you know best where to source stuff. You have the knowledge of the item you're purchasing, they don't.

Yes but it the students who choose what the wish to order and from who, it's part of their learning process, if I think I can get it from another supplier and there is some advantage to that then I get it from another supplier.
we as a lab have logins with various supliers and ebay isn't one on them, as we don't want students bidding or buying things from sources we can't easily check.
We can't trust any student (even some staff) to order the correct items.

But you're the one with the best experience. You know the stuff that's being bought, the best makes and models, and the best places to buy them, so you should have full control over purchasing. I did, I never accepted the controls placed on me, I told them to get lost. They eventually got fed up and asked me to sign something accepting full responsibility for ordering different items, like a projector that was 20% cheaper, from a more reliable make, with a longer warranty and a higher resolution. But it wasn't their recommended one. As in the one that they'd received a bribe for presumably.

Our finance department banned us from buying inkjet printers.

Us too, so we don't buy injet printers in generazl it does make sense to some extent.

No it doesn't. Inkjets are cheap and local, everyone can have one and print in colour without leaving their desk.

which takes up space needs support and consumables, and it's difficult finding out who's printing what. we staff of around 4000 sorting out printers for them all isn't easy.

It's better than having them all walk up and down the building to collect printouts.

We don't want to keep track of 4000 odd printers and their differing consumables it takes up to much space.

Hardly, I had just one set of shelves in a cupboard dedicated to inks etc. And anyway I'd buy many inkjets at once and stick to the same model most of the time.

And most users could change a cartridge themselves, I'd get an email asking for some, and I'd put a batch of them in their pigeon hole. They'd pick them up next time they were passing.

Better to have a printer, scanner and photocopier that lost of peolpe can use and that is of a reasonable speed and can handle the capacity.

Not for the users it isn't. They're getting paid wages to wander about collecting printouts.

And why do you need to know what they're printing?

Because someone has to pay for it. we aren;t talking about a few pages but 1000s of pages.

They pay when they order more paper and ink.

I just bought everyone an inkjet, and all but the most clueless I gave a big box of cartridges. Only a very few needed me to replace them for them.

you bought 4000 printers from ebay ?

Why not? Plenty sellers have large stocks.

They claimed that using the colour photocopier they rented from Xerox was only 6p a page vs. 14p a page for inkjet. I looked into it. 14p a page was using HP printers with genuine HP ink. Using the Brother printers I bought on Ebay, with fake ink, was 1p a page.

Who pays for the paper and ink ? as that's where he money goes.

WTF? 1p a page is far less than 6p a page.

Who pays for teh paper and ink.
We pay 4p and get 'free' paper and free ink.

The 1p includes the paper and the ink. Paper is 0.5p a page, so is ink.

who pays for any maintaonce adn downtime or are you saying brother printer never go wrong.

At 30 a printer, I just bought another one. When I had spare time, I'd see if any were worth fixing.

Which they aren't.

They often were, especially if two failed in a different way. A simple swapping of a part.

We are charged 4p for A4 printed page 6p for double sided. Most of our printers are photocopies and scanners too.

Very expensive. My 1p a page was using fake cartridges. If you use a CISS system it's even less. The paper becomes the main cost.

Not for us as we get it free. I can go down stairs and pick up a couple of boxes which is 4 or 5 reams per box it's free.

Paper is not free.

We only pay for the amount printed in the laser printers, if I use my old inkjet I can use their paper for free, if I want to use their paper as arse wipe it's still free. Hand it out to students for free.

we are allowed to buy a printer(s) if we have a particualar use for the printer and the printing canlt be done on the default laser printers.
We have a printer for printing posters but not everyone needs one do they.
Not all the 4000 staff here need to print to A1 & A0 but we do.

Don't you have a petty cash system to allow people to wander off to B&Q etc? Use that.

Yes, but not many of us order from B&Q.

You said you wander off to get hard disks from PC World.

Only for myself for personal use at home.
I can order from anywhere I like with my own money, but not with tax payers money.

I thought you said you went to PC World when a student needed a hard disk that day?

No, where did you get that idea from. IT services do all the IT services, including buying 96 PCs from dell, and external monitors.

You told me about an external drive you got form PC World. Remember I found it on Ebay and it was the same price, from PC World Ebay!

They introduced a stupid access system at the school, you actually had to swipe your access card on a plate on the wall.

We have that system.

They could have paid a bit extra to have one that worked without removing it from your pocket. What if you're carrying stuff?

That's one problem with NFC type systems, but it's cheaper than other systems when it comes to replacing cards that students lose.
Sure they should have auto open doors and automated trollys delivering things so you don't have to carry anything not even a cup of coffee.

How hard can it be to make a cheap system that can detect a card in your pocket?

You obviosuly haven't a clue have you.
Why would you want a door to swing open as you walk past ?
Lets say you're walking down a corridor carrying a printer with 10 or 20 doors on each side why would you want them all to start opening, and don't forget when they do that is a security issue to.

They don't open, they unlock. And how on earth could it be a security problem? They're going to open them anyway.

Surely it could be similar to what they use in supermarkets to prevent theft of TVs? It can pick up those fobs when they're inside your bag or trolley full of stuff.

No quite differnt as I'm allowed in doors students aren't and students on differing courses are allowed in differnt doors.
Only staff can access the paper store etc...
Others might not have access to the flamamble chemical store.
But I guess you want everyone to have access to the infectous diseases section.

WTF are you talking about? You have a system where each person swipes a card and is allowed through a certain door. All I'm suggesting is that the card is detectable from a few feet away, so you just have to approach the door without putting down what you're carrying to get the card out of your pocket.
Old February 10th 19, 09:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Commander Kinsey
wrote:

Surely it could be similar to what they use in supermarkets to prevent
theft of TVs? It can pick up those fobs when they're inside your bag or
trolley full of stuff.

No quite differnt as I'm allowed in doors students aren't and students on
differing courses are allowed in differnt doors.
Only staff can access the paper store etc...
Others might not have access to the flamamble chemical store.
But I guess you want everyone to have access to the infectous diseases
section.

WTF are you talking about? You have a system where each person swipes
a card and is allowed through a certain door. All I'm suggesting is that the
card is detectable from a few feet away, so you just have to approach the
door without putting down what you're carrying to get the card out of your pocket.

access cards aren't detectable from a few feet away. that would be a
huge, huge security hole.
Old February 11th 19, 12:15 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Sun, 10 Feb 2019 12:03:47 -0500, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

It's the hit a key and wait while it sends it to Google and then
Google sends back a response. Then hit another key etc. Pages swap
backwards and forward. Just getting an intelligible first response
from Google on first connecting takes about 10 seconds. It's quicker
after that but one screen at a time ...

it doesn't take anywhere near 10 seconds to do a search on an ipad.

I'm talking about when first starting up.

first starting what up?

Google

as you've been repeatedly told, and which you not only acknowledged,
but agreed, there is no reason to use that app to do a search, so why
are you still using it?

Who said I am?

you did.

I said I did in the past.

At your suggestion I went back to trying loading Google via Safari and
found it was 20 seconds (!) quicker. I have yet to discovre how to get
rid of the column of reading list etc on the lefthand side so I can
get back the full screem, such as it is.

Eric Stevens
Old February 11th 19, 01:10 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

Just getting an intelligible first response
from Google on first connecting takes about 10 seconds. It's
quicker after that but one screen at a time ...

At your suggestion I went back to trying loading Google via Safari and
found it was 20 seconds (!) quicker. I have yet to discovre how to get
rid of the column of reading list etc on the lefthand side so I can
get back the full screem, such as it is.

since the google app took only 10 seconds, you're now moving backwards
in time.
Old February 11th 19, 02:02 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Eric Stevens wrote:
On Sun, 10 Feb 2019 12:03:47 -0500, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

[...]

I am not familiar with the way Safari is presented via Win, just the macOS,
and iOS versions. With those you can toggle the lefthand column open/closed
by clicking on the reading list/bookmarks icon. If the icon is not visible
in the toolbar you can either access the function via the “view” menu or by
adding it to the toolbar by selecting “Customize Toolbar “ from the “view”
menu.

Savageduck
Old February 11th 19, 02:10 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Sun, 10 Feb 2019 20:10:15 -0500, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

Just getting an intelligible first response
from Google on first connecting takes about 10 seconds. It's
quicker after that but one screen at a time ...

At your suggestion I went back to trying loading Google via Safari and
found it was 20 seconds (!) quicker. I have yet to discovre how to get
rid of the column of reading list etc on the lefthand side so I can
get back the full screem, such as it is.

since the google app took only 10 seconds, you're now moving backwards
in time.

Update your information. The 10 seconds was an estimate from memory of
past events. By actual test the Google app takes 30 seconds from start
to finish befoe I can start typing. Google via Safari takes about 8
seconds or a little more.

Eric Stevens
Old February 11th 19, 02:14 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Sun, 10 Feb 2019 20:02:40 -0600, Savageduck
wrote:

Eric Stevens wrote:
On Sun, 10 Feb 2019 12:03:47 -0500, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

[...]

I only use Safari on the iPad.

and iOS versions. With those you can toggle the lefthand column open/closed
by clicking on the reading list/bookmarks icon.

That did it. Thank you very much.

Old February 11th 19, 02:21 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

Just getting an intelligible first response
from Google on first connecting takes about 10 seconds. It's
quicker after that but one screen at a time ...

At your suggestion I went back to trying loading Google via Safari and
found it was 20 seconds (!) quicker. I have yet to discovre how to get
rid of the column of reading list etc on the lefthand side so I can
get back the full screem, such as it is.

since the google app took only 10 seconds, you're now moving backwards
in time.

Update your information.

whoosh

The 10 seconds was an estimate from memory of
past events. By actual test the Google app takes 30 seconds from start
to finish befoe I can start typing. Google via Safari takes about 8
seconds or a little more.

8 seconds is still unusually long to launch safari, or most apps for
that matter, but at least the second time will be instant.
Old February 11th 19, 02:21 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Savageduck
wrote:

I have yet to discovre how to get
rid of the column of reading list etc on the lefthand side so I can
get back the full screem, such as it is.

I am not familiar with the way Safari is presented via Win, just the macOS,
and iOS versions.

there isn't a safari for windows anymore.

With those you can toggle the lefthand column open/closed
by clicking on the reading list/bookmarks icon.

or rotate to portrait orientation.
Old February 12th 19, 12:56 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Sun, 10 Feb 2019 21:21:08 -0500, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

[...]

You must learn to read for comprehension before you launch into print.

Eric Stevens