chinon cg-5 - worth buying?

Old July 25th 07, 08:06 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
[email protected]

Default chinon cg-5 - worth buying?

Hi, I'm considering a purchase of Chinon CG-5 camera with lenses and
flash - does anyone use this model and could advise me if it is worth
buying? I would be grateful for help!
Martin

Old July 25th 07, 09:46 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
[email protected]

On 25 Lip, 10:25, Richard Polhill
Hi, I'm considering a purchase of Chinon CG-5 camera with lenses and
flash - does anyone use this model and could advise me if it is worth
buying? I would be grateful for help!
Martin

Err, well it depends on how much it is, but I would be very pleased with such
a device. It is pretty well featured: DOF preview; Aperture Priority AE with
AE lock; manual exposure; multiple exposure function; there are even some AF
lenses available for it.

I remember Chinons as well made and pleasingly designed cameras, my first SLR
was a Chinon. Nothing wrong with their lenses either.

The only limiting factors will be the availability of accessories, but if it
comes with a selection of lenses and a flash then I can't see what else you'd
desperately need.

The manual is available athttp://butkus.org/chinon/chinon/cg-5/cg-5.pdfso
you can see if the operation suits you.

I would say "yes" depending on the price, obviously.

Rich

Hi! thanks for answer. Well, it would be about 100 USD, and the whole
kit is:

CHINON CG-5 (excellent condition, at least that's what they say :-))
AUTO CHINON MULTI-COATED 1:1,7 50mm
EXAKTA WW-MACRO 1:2,8 28mm
CHINON AUTO Flash S-280
BAG (reasonable looking)

Hm, I must think it over again :-) To tell the truth I wanted to buy
Minolta X-700 or XG-M or Pentax ME Super, however, maybe this camera
is just as good as those, and I guess it is cheaper...

Old July 25th 07, 09:54 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Richard Polhill

wrote:
[...]

I think it's a bit better than an ME-Super (of which I have 2) as it has a
nicer shutter speed control (the Pentax has buttons), AE Lock and DOF preview,
all of which would be nice. I don't know the Minoltas.

I'd pay $100 for it. Have a search on eBay to see if Chinon bayonet fit lenses
are readily available, or try to determine if the Chinon bayonet is compatible
with any other systems, Pentax PK for instance (I think it might be) so you
can always get hold of more lenses when you need them.

Personally, I'd rather have the Chinon to the Pentax ME-Super, and I love the
Pentax.
Old July 25th 07, 10:02 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
[email protected]

On 25 Lip, 10:54, Richard Polhill
[...]

Well, yes, you're right - this Chinon takes Pentax K-mount lenses...so
I guess that there would be no problem in finding good lenses. Thanks
a lot! :-)

Old July 25th 07, 10:29 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
[email protected]

On Jul 25, 5:06 pm, wrote:
Hi, I'm considering a purchase of Chinon CG-5 camera with lenses and
flash - does anyone use this model and could advise me if it is worth
buying? I would be grateful for help!
Martin

Can't comment directly on that model, but Chinon were rather like
Ricoh back in those days. Good lenses, low prices, pretty reliable,
well designed. I still have a little Chinon p&s that has performed
flawlessly for about 15 years, and it fights well above its weight...

Old July 25th 07, 10:36 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
[email protected]

On 25 Lip, 11:29, wrote:
On Jul 25, 5:06 pm, wrote:

Hi, I'm considering a purchase of Chinon CG-5 camera with lenses and
flash - does anyone use this model and could advise me if it is worth
buying? I would be grateful for help!
Martin

Can't comment directly on that model, but Chinon were rather like
Ricoh back in those days. Good lenses, low prices, pretty reliable,
well designed. I still have a little Chinon p&s that has performed
flawlessly for about 15 years, and it fights well above its weight...

I heard that Chinon are reliable and good-built, happy to hear your
confirmation of this opinion :-)

Old July 25th 07, 10:45 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
[email protected]

On 25 Lip, 11:36, wrote:
On 25 Lip, 11:29, wrote:

On Jul 25, 5:06 pm, wrote:

Hi, I'm considering a purchase of Chinon CG-5 camera with lenses and
flash - does anyone use this model and could advise me if it is worth
buying? I would be grateful for help!
Martin

Can't comment directly on that model, but Chinon were rather like
Ricoh back in those days. Good lenses, low prices, pretty reliable,
well designed. I still have a little Chinon p&s that has performed
flawlessly for about 15 years, and it fights well above its weight...

I heard that Chinon are reliable and good-built, happy to hear your
confirmation of this opinion :-)

Well, I purchased it. Hope it was a good decision.

http://allegro.pl/show_item.php?item=219112148

Thanks a lot for help, take care :-)
Martin

Old July 26th 07, 08:29 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
[email protected]

On 26 Lip, 09:06, Richard Polhill
On 25 Lip, 11:36, wrote:
On 25 Lip, 11:29, wrote:

On Jul 25, 5:06 pm, wrote:
Hi, I'm considering a purchase of Chinon CG-5 camera with lenses and
flash - does anyone use this model and could advise me if it is worth
buying? I would be grateful for help!
Martin
Can't comment directly on that model, but Chinon were rather like
Ricoh back in those days. Good lenses, low prices, pretty reliable,
well designed. I still have a little Chinon p&s that has performed
flawlessly for about 15 years, and it fights well above its weight...
I heard that Chinon are reliable and good-built, happy to hear your
confirmation of this opinion :-)

Well, I purchased it. Hope it was a good decision.

http://allegro.pl/show_item.php?item=219112148

Thanks a lot for help, take care :-)
Martin

Pleae do let us know how you get on with it. It looks quite nice to me.

OK :-)