Need to replace my Sony W1

Old January 30th 06, 07:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.point+shoot

Default Need to replace my Sony W1

Hi,

I need to get a better camera. The W1 is just too difficult to use as a P&S.
The lens doesn't let enough light to go into the camera. So, the Sony keeps setting the shutter speed to 1/30 sec (or less) 99% of the time even in board day light. If I set the shutter speed to 1/40, this will make the picture sharp but it comes out dark.

So, I post some question in the SLR newsgroup regarding the Canon XT, Olympus E500, and the Pentax DL.
People there basically said that if I was not a Pro, just sticked with the P&S. I shouldn't waste their time in the SLR newsgroup.

I like the speed of the Sony; but the lens is very weak.
So, can you recommand a better P&S please?

Thanks!

--
There is no answer.
There has not been an answer.

There is no point to life.
THAT IS THE POINT.
And we are screwed.
We will run out of oil soon.

Old January 30th 06, 07:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.point+shoot

Tom wrote:
Hi,

I need to get a better camera. The W1 is just too difficult to use
as a P&S.
The lens doesn't let enough light to go into the camera. So, the
Sony keeps setting the shutter speed to 1/30 sec (or less) 99% of the
time even in board day light. If I set the shutter speed to 1/40,
this will make the picture sharp but it comes out dark.

So, I post some question in the SLR newsgroup regarding the Canon XT,
Olympus E500, and the Pentax DL.
People there basically said that if I was not a Pro, just sticked
with the P&S. I shouldn't waste their time in the SLR newsgroup.

I like the speed of the Sony; but the lens is very weak.
So, can you recommand a better P&S please?

Thanks!

Perhaps an image-stabilised camera like the Panasonic FZ5?

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicfz5/

Allows sharper pictures at slower shutter speeds.

David

Old January 30th 06, 09:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.point+shoot

Tom wrote:
The Panasonic has alot of noise even at ISO80 according to the
review. So, it doesn't seem to be a good camera.

Well, I have a Panasonic FZ5 and it does not have a "lot of noise" at ISO
80, in my opinion. If I felt it was in any was unsatisfactory, after
thousands of shots, I would not be recommending it.

David

Old January 30th 06, 10:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.point+shoot

Do you have any sample picture?

I basically have this problem with my Sony:

For Example:
I have a window office. It is 1:28 pm so the sun is up and my office is pretty bright... make it very bright to the eyes... I have a white wall with all kind of stuffs taped on the wall. And I have some action figures put on top of my computer monitor. When I point my Sony to the action figures, it will set the shutter speed to 1/30 and asks me not to move saying to me that the picture will be fuzzy becasue of the slow shutter speed. On the other hand, if I use the flash, it will set the shutter speed to 1/40 even the flash has not much effect on the sun (it is very bright), the picture will come out sharp.

So, basically, if anything that is slower than 1/40 sec, I or the object have to stand still otherwise the picture will be very fuzzy.

Would you tell me how offen your Panasonic will select anything that is slower than 1/40 please?
I try this with the Canon. In my office, the Canon constantly set the shutter speed to 1/60.

My Vulcan logic tells me that, with everything being equal, the lens from the Canon must be letting more light to go into the camera than the Sony.

Therefore, the Canon can use a much faster shutter speed.

Faster Shutter Speed = Sharper Image.
Sharper Image doesn't mean better picture. BUT...
Shaper Image = Good-Enough-For-Government-Work kinda better picture

Old January 31st 06, 01:40 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.point+shoot

On 2006-01-30, Tom wrote:

Hi,

I need to get a better camera. The W1 is just too difficult to use as a
P&S.

The lens doesn't let enough light to go into the camera. So, the Sony
keeps setting the shutter speed to 1/30 sec (or less) 99% of the time even
in board day light. If I set the shutter speed to 1/40, this will make the
picture sharp but it comes out dark.

So, I post some question in the SLR newsgroup regarding the Canon XT,
Olympus E500, and the Pentax DL.

People there basically said that if I was not a Pro, just sticked with
the P&S. I shouldn't waste their time in the SLR newsgroup.

I like the speed of the Sony; but the lens is very weak.
So, can you recommand a better P&S please?

Thanks!

(Please post in plain text so that everyone can read it).

Is this the camera you mean by 'Sony W1'?
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/w1.html. That doesn't look
to me like the sort of camera that would have difficulty finding enough
light for hand-held shooting in daylight - that is exactly what it is
designed for, and at that price it should do it pretty well.

Indoors there will be much less light than out of doors, and if you 'zoom
in' to the maximum magnification of your optical zoom lens, that will mean
that the maximum aperture of the lens becomes significantly smaller than
the f/2.8 available at the 'wide' zoom setting. That could mean that the
camera has to select a slowish shutter speed indoors.

If you have selected the smallest aperture in 'manual' mode then the
shutter speed will of course be slow, to compensate. Likewise if you have
fixed the ISO 'speed' at 100, the camera won't be able to automatically
set ISO 200 or 400 to enable a faster shutter speed in low light.

In clear-sky daylight, at ISO 100, that camera should be setting about
1/1000 sec at f/5.6 or 1/500 at f/8 or equivalent - probably depending on
the zoom setting - in 'auto' mode, for 'average scenes'. If it really is
insisting on 1/30 sec in those conditions then either you have set the
'manual' or 'mode' controls in such a way as to force a slow shutter
speed, or the camera is malfunctioning. I suggest that you sort that out
before spending more money on a different camera.

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers
Old January 31st 06, 02:53 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.point+shoot

Hi,

I've read countless number of post regardling the Sony W1. People all have
the 1/30 sec problem. I am trying to shot with AUTO all the time... If it
is outside and it is noon with the sun right up there, the W1 has no
problem. On the other hand, if it is anything but "sunny", the W1 likes to
use slow shutter speed ALL THE TIME (1/30 sec or less)!!!!

This really test my skill for holding the camera still. So, this is no
fun...

And I have been using the W1 for years... The picture comes out great but I
have to constantly find way to compensate this problem.

After so many years of using the W1, my only conclusion is that the lens
does not let enough light to go in. Otherwise, how can a Canon (A75) shot
the same thing with 1/60 but my W1 can only shot at 1/30???!!!! This is
just not logically possible.

Old January 31st 06, 03:26 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.point+shoot

Look for the Sony the pictures from he

www.dpreview.com

download the picture(s) and check the picture setting. You will see that
most of the pictures are taken with 1/30 sec. As long as the flash is used,
the pictures are taken with 1/60 sec. Very consistant with what I am
talking about. And as you have already known, anything less that 1/40 sec
will be fuzzy unless you are shooting things that don't move at all.

Old January 31st 06, 02:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.point+shoot

On 2006-01-31, Tom wrote:
Look for the Sony the pictures from he

www.dpreview.com

download the picture(s) and check the picture setting.

There do not seem to be any images from Sony DSC-W1 cameras in
http://www.dpreview.com/gallery/.

You will see that
most of the pictures are taken with 1/30 sec. As long as the flash is used,
the pictures are taken with 1/60 sec. Very consistant with what I am
talking about. And as you have already known, anything less that 1/40 sec
will be fuzzy unless you are shooting things that don't move at all.

There is very little difference between 1/30 and 1/40 sec. Most people
can hand-hold successfully at 1/30 sec with a 'wide' zoom setting; 'zoomed
in' does require a faster shutter speed, which in turn requires a larger
aperture and/or faster ISO setting. To 'freeze' movement, the shutter
speed required depends on many variables.

This reviewer had a faulty camera and was pleased with the replacement
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/read...y=sony_dscw1&o
pinion=24905 or http://makeashorterlink.com/?F2BD23E8C.

Same with this one
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/read...y=sony_dscw1&o
pinion=22353 or http://makeashorterlink.com/?F2BD23E8C.

This person has exactly the opposite opinion to yours
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/read...y=sony_dscw1&o
pinion=21869 or http://makeashorterlink.com/?U22E31E8C.

Most of the reviews there seem to be very positive. So we are back to
either the settings you are using, or the camera being faulty. It's up to
you what you decide to do to work out which ) but given the
limitations on user input with that model and the history of some faulty
specimens, I'd be inclined to think that you got one of the 'bad batch'.

If you decide to try a different model, I can report that I've been very
pleased with my Samsung Digimax V700 (which may offer too many manual
modes for comfort, if you want a purely point and shoot operation,
although the auto or programmed modes seem to handle most things pretty
well). I also get some good results with my Minolta Dimage X20, although
that is only 2MP and lacks an optical viewfinder - but that range of models
includes some with a higher specification, and is very much point and
shoot in spirit.

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers
Old January 31st 06, 02:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.point+shoot

On 2006-01-31, Tom wrote:

snip

After so many years of using the W1, my only conclusion is that the lens
does not let enough light to go in. Otherwise, how can a Canon (A75) shot
the same thing with 1/60 but my W1 can only shot at 1/30???!!!! This is
just not logically possible.

It's perfectly possible, and logical. Different 'programming' will result
in different settings being chosen for the same scene. You get exactly the
same exposure at 1/30 sec with f/4 and at 1/60 sec with f/2.8, and with the
small sensors used in most compact digital cameras there will be no
significant difference in the 'depth of field' (sharpness of focus at
different distances) even when 'zoomed right in' with a typical 3x optical
zoom - unless the subject is extremely close to the lens. At ISO 100
those settings would be appropriate in very gloomy daylight or for getting
the sky at sunrise or sunset, or under bright street-lamps or in an
interior with bright electric lighting.

If your camera has 'modes' for various scenes or lighting conditions,
perhaps choosing one that matches what you are trying to photograph will
make the camera choose 'more sensible' settings? Different 'automatic'
cameras do need different 'handling' to get the best from them.

--
-- Whiskers