Focusing Targets?

Old December 29th 05, 07:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default Focusing Targets?

Anyone aware of inexpensive easy to carry focusing targets. Problem is
my right eye goes in and out during the day. I'm using a D-50
currently that has an adjustable diopter in the eyepiece and I oftten
use a 2X magnifier: two variables that must often be reset during
different times of the day as my eye goes wonky. Looking for something
that is easy to setup and could help me get things into adjustment
rapidly. I'm using auto-focus more and more frequently but it doesn't
really do the job I want on anything over 50mm. Changeable focus
screens looks to be something to think about on any future bodies, miss
my Fs in that respect. Thanks in advance.

Old December 29th 05, 10:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Try this::

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=563#post563

The man who made it is a great professional. I've never met him personally
but I have learned a lot from his numerous contributions in various
discussion forums! If you want to find out more about him have a look at his
own web site:

http://shaystephens.com/

and

http://shaystephens.com/forumposts.asp

Kind regards,

Johannes

oups.com...

Old December 29th 05, 10:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Try this::

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=563#post563

Here's one that's a bit better:

http://md.co.za/d70/focus21.pdf

steve

Old December 30th 05, 04:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Thanks, folks!

Old December 31st 05, 01:30 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

"Johannes Czernin" wrote in message
. ..
Try this::

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=563#post563

Sorry to say, but that target is not(!) suited for AF systems, even
less for digital imaging, and pretty useless for any evaluation of the
resulting image.

A much better (and not just because I developed it, there is some
serious planning involved for digital usage), target can be found on:
For HP/Canon inkjet printers (3.8MB):
http://www.xs4all.nl/~bvdwolf/main/d...0mm_600ppi.gif
For Epson inkjet printers (5.3MB):
http://www.xs4all.nl/~bvdwolf/main/d...0mm_720ppi.gif

You can make your own target from it at home with a decent inkjet
printer.
Print it at the indicated ppi without printer enhancements on glossy
Photopaper which should produce a 100x100mm target. For optimal usage,
shoot it with your (digi)cam from a (non-critical) distance like
between 25-50x the focal length or more, if you want to quantify the
results.

Bart