Canon 20D lenses: Canon vs Sigma

Old September 9th 04, 04:07 PM
Alex Vilner

Default Canon 20D lenses: Canon vs Sigma

I am looking to invest into Canon 20D, and, obviously, need to
complement the body with the lens.

Seems that I have narrowed my choices down to two:
- Canon EF-S 17-85 IS USM (4.0 - 5.6) $599
- Sigma 18-125 (3.5-5.6) $269

I am taking the minimalistic approach in that I prefer to use one lens
for most of my shots (in the 35mm days, Canon 28-200 USM did the
trick).

Granted the Canon's lens is new, I wanted to ask for your opinion
about the image qualities and how they compare between the two, the
true necessity of IS (I have lived without it for 20 years, chances
are I might survive)....

Canon Pros: IS & brand name/model, specifically designed for D20 (and
DR)
Canon Cons: price, tele focal length (136mm in 35mm equivalent)

Sigma Pros: Longer focal length (200mm in 35mm equivalent), price
$300!)
Sigma Cons: it is not Canon

Your opinions, please?

Thank you in advance!

--Alex
Old September 9th 04, 05:31 PM
Böwzér

"Alex Vilner" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Canon. Sigma has nowhere near the quality of Canon gear, despite what test
results may show. I've used both, and thrown Sigma gear away, one of which
actually physically fell appart. It just doesn't last.

Thank you in advance!

--Alex

Old September 9th 04, 05:47 PM
Jimmy Smith

Any lens besides a Canon lens MAY give you incompatibility issues. Who
wants that headache.

Old September 9th 04, 05:52 PM
Tony

IS is great, Sigma is crap. What more do you need to know?

--
http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

Old September 9th 04, 07:16 PM
John Doe

I would stick with Canon brand. Apparently Canon doesn't much like third
party lenses and they try a little too hard to cause problems with them. I
just bough two used lens, both Canon and will only be buying the Canon
brand. I don't want to have to worry about compatibility issues with my new
$1500 child.

John

Old September 9th 04, 09:45 PM
Graeme Cogger

says...
[...]

I've not seen any reviews of either lens, but take a look at
the forums on
http://www.dpreview.com
There are a lot of user opinions on the Sigma, and a few
threads on the Canon. So far, most users are happy with the
Sigma, although it suffers from slight vignetting at 18mm, and
some distortion at the focal length extremes. Comments about
the Canon have so far not been that good - chromatic aberration
is a possible concern (the Sigma is good in this respect).
If it was up to me, and I had to choose right now, I'd get the
Sigma since I've seen nothing to suggest it's worth paying the
massive price hike for the Canon.
As usual, we've got a bunch of people saying 'buy the Canon'
without having any experience of either lens. Both companies
make some great, and some awful, lenses and the Sigma
compatibility issues are a pretty minor worry IMHO.

Old September 9th 04, 10:23 PM
grenner

Look at Tamron. Sigma is not a good choice, minimal optics and build
quality. Canon is excellent stuff buy pricy.
Tamron is a nice inbetween choice. I have been using Tamron for years with
fillm cameras first and now digital without a problem.

Greg