EOS300D -Images disappear...

Old November 8th 04, 09:56 AM
traction

Default EOS300D -Images disappear...

Any ideas why one just one occasion (out of hundreds use) some images
'dissappear' from the memory card. I make a point of never deleting images
using the camera delete option (its only a extra keypress on a small screen
to delete ALL) , but some important images dissapeared between being shot,
(visible on the built-in screen) and presumably hitting the memory. That day
the camera was turned off and on many times, so it was reset frequently, and
yet images from five small shooting sessions dissappeared. I did try to use
image recovery software, but as I continued to use the camera, (and filled
the card) and evidence of the images went too.
I can't repeat this, and its only happened once, but it reduces confidence.
I have experienced on a couple of occassions, 'lock-up' where when switching
the camera on, it hasn't initialised correctly, and whilst the display is
then operational, its not possible to shoot images. Turn off, turn on again
and alls fine. I guess that may be 'heat' during summer outdoor use (which
incedentally is where nearly all photography takes place for me).
Has anyone experienced 'image loss' or 'lock up' , what's the cause, or is
it me.?

Old November 8th 04, 02:09 PM
BertS

traction wrote:
[...]

Perhaps you should ask this question in one of the digital forums.
Old November 8th 04, 02:40 PM
jjs

"traction" wrote in message
Any ideas why one just one occasion (out of hundreds use) some images
'dissappear' from the memory card.

It's Karma for posting digital issues on rec.photo.DARKROOM.

Old November 8th 04, 03:41 PM
Mike King

Well, if you've owned you digital equipment more than six weeks it's
obsolete anyway and should be replaced immediately. Sounds like some tired
electrons to me.

Seriously, post to a digital forum and give details on what memory card,
etc. you were using at the time.

--
darkroommike

----------

Old November 8th 04, 03:48 PM
Michael A. Covington

Ask on rec.photo.digital. This forum is for darkroom work (developing film
and making prints photochemically).

I don't think it's heat. What I'd do next is:
(1) make sure never to turn the camera off while it's still writing on the
card, after taking a picture;
(2) format the memory card in the camera (something may be slightly amiss
with its formatting);
(3) make sure batteries are properly charged (erratic behavior will result
when batteries are weak).

Old November 8th 04, 06:48 PM
Gregory W Blank

"traction" wrote:

Has anyone experienced 'image loss' or 'lock up' , what's the cause, or is
it me.?

Its probably you,. You may want to
Redirect the question to the rec digital newsgroup its more appropriate there.

to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918
Old November 8th 04, 08:43 PM
Tom Phillips

Try using film. Latent images never disappear and
there's no storage card to go bad.

Old November 8th 04, 09:17 PM
Gregory W Blank

Tom Phillips wrote:

Try using film. Latent images never disappear and
there's no storage card to go bad.

Ya that is a good idear!!!
He he : ^)

to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918
Old November 8th 04, 09:41 PM
Tom Phillips

Gregory W Blank wrote:

In article ,
Tom Phillips wrote:

Try using film. Latent images never disappear and
there's no storage card to go bad.

Ya that is a good idear!!!
He he : ^)

I was on a wilderness trip last summer with a bunch of college
students. Those who used digital cameras had endless troubles
with the devices and especially malfunctioning storage cards.
A whole week's worth of images was lost by one student due to
a storage card. The students using film had no problems and
took their images home.

But just try to argue with a digital geek about the stability
of storage cards...