Camera Security

Old July 6th 13, 07:35 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Trevor[_2_]

Default Camera Security

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
The person on the scooter is in a much more unstable position than
person walking or standing. OTOH the crafty buggers probably feel
the
resistance and abandon within a shake of a lamb's tail.

The scooter's 2 up and gyrostabilized--you've got anywhere from
400-1000
pounds of mass going for you depending on the value of "scooter".

Sure it is, but the passenger grabbing the bag is not attached to the
scooter except by a small amount of friction of his bum on vinyl seat
and
feet on small rubber pegs.

Do go down to your neighborhood Suzuki dealer and examine a Burgman.
The grabber is attached to the scooter by feet on floorboards, not
pegs,
a backrest, and an arm around the driver, who is similarly attached and
also has both hands on the bars.

Sorry, I didn't realise they all rode Burgmans.

They don't, but many other scooters have similar features.

And many don't.

Don't assume that "scooter" means "50 year old Vespa".

Nor one with a backrest.

In any case you're clearly arguing for the sake of argument.

Just like you are. Any argument can be defined that way if you want I guess.

Trevor.

Old July 6th 13, 07:40 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Trevor[_2_]

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
.. .
Don't assume that "scooter" means "50 year old Vespa".

Don't assume that Vespas are all 50 years old.

I don't. But the 50 year old ones that whatsisface seem to be equating
with "scooter" are.

Fact is many times they are NOT scooters at all, they are often small, or
even large motorbikes. YOU are the one making stupid assumptions, like all
scooters in the last 50 years have backrests, when they are a VERY SMALL
minority.

Trevor.

Old July 6th 13, 04:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
J. Clarke[_2_]

In article ,
says...

On 2013.07.03 22:28 , J. Clarke wrote:
In article ,
says...

On 2013.07.03 20:38 , J. Clarke wrote:

The trouble with the metal straps is that things like scooter grabs can
be turned from loss of property into serious injury. With luck it will
be injury of the grabber who gets pulled off the scooter and into the
path of an oncoming lorry. Personally my luck runs more in the
direction of me being pulled into the path of the lorry.

The person on the scooter is in a much more unstable position than a
person walking or standing. OTOH the crafty buggers probably feel the
resistance and abandon within a shake of a lamb's tail.

The scooter's 2 up and gyrostabilized--you've got anywhere from 400-1000
pounds of mass going for you depending on the value of "scooter".

In Asia the people doing the grabbing generally mass about 50 - 60 Kg.

That's the passenger. The "driver" is another 50-60kg.

The scooter can keep on going but he's not going with it. And as I
said, as soon as the strap doesn't cut and there is resistance he's just
going to let that one go.

Who said anything about "cut"?

(A pound is not "mass").

Now you are being pedantic, and ignorant as well. A pound mass is
approximately 1/32 of a slug.

Old July 6th 13, 10:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Wolfgang Weisselberg

Alan Browne wrote:
[...]

The SI unit is the kg. It describes mass, which is both
affected by gravity and has inertia.

In this case, inertia is what is important.

Say the grab happens at 20 km/h speed differential (you walk
briskly at 5 km/s, the scooter is passing you at 25 km/s from
behind), the grabber is not holding on the vehicle or driver
at all, you're 100kg and the grabber is 50 kg.

What happens --- best case for you --- is that you're suddenly
accellerated to 12 km/h and the grabber braked to that speed.
I.e. half your body weight has suddenly slammed into your upper
body from behind, at roughly the speed you'd be able to sprint
(i.e. 100 meters in 14 seconds).

Since you have no chance to react --- you're not even seeing
the grab coming from behind --- you'll be slammed over, your
camera smashed on the ground and your face kissing the concrete
at high speed.

Now imagine what happens if the grabber is seated well, braced
against the impact and holding onto the driver (which again
holds onto the scooter. Guess the effective weight of the
grabber is 3 times his 50 kg. You'll be kissing the asphalt
much faster than Usain Bolt could run into a brick wall if he
wanted to.

You might pull the grabber off the scooter, but you're going to
hospital and your camera will be dead from the impact anyways.

More likely, the grabber will let go as you are yanked forward
and plant your face on the sidewalk and slam your camera down
with you.

-Wolfgang
Old July 7th 13, 05:50 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Trevor[_2_]

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
.. .
Don't assume that "scooter" means "50 year old Vespa".

Don't assume that Vespas are all 50 years old.

I don't. But the 50 year old ones that whatsisface seem to be equating
with "scooter" are.

Fact is many times they are NOT scooters at all, they are often small, or
even large motorbikes. YOU are the one making stupid assumptions, like
all
scooters in the last 50 years have backrests, when they are a VERY SMALL
minority.

Trevor, the discussion was of a certain class of crime, not of the
scooter market. The fact that you feel that it is essential to divert
the discussion into one of the details of scooters says that you are an
annoying twit who can't stand it if you are not the center of attention.

I only responded to the twit who brought it up. That you think I am not even
allowed to respond proves more about your stupidity than any desire for
attention on my part.

Trevor.

Old July 16th 13, 10:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

On 2013.07.06 11:05 , J. Clarke wrote:
[...]

Oh, so you know nothing about how these guys work. I've seen it done
and it's slow down, bump, cut, grab and run (or ride).

If you have a steel cable strap it's:
slow down, bump, cut - Ooops - run (or ride).

(A pound is not "mass").

Now you are being pedantic, and ignorant as well. A pound mass is
approximately 1/32 of a slug.

You lost when you mixed pounds and mass. A slug is mass. A pound is
force. There is no mixing them.

--
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional,
illogical minority, and rapidly promoted by mainstream media,
Old July 17th 13, 05:44 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
J. Clarke[_2_]

In article ,
says...

[...]

That would be news to the faculty and staff in the Aeronautical
Engineering department at The Ohio State University, in the Mechanical
Engineering department at The Georgia Institute of Technology, the
engineering staff at United Technologies, the national standards bodies
of the United States, Canada, New Zealand, the United Kingdom, South
Africa, and Australia, which have established an international standard
defining the avoirdupois pound as 0.45359237 kilogram, and a variety of
other degreed engineers and scientists of my acquaintance.

Sorry, but you are not only being pedantic, but now you are being
stupidly pedantic.