Kodalith Super RT developer??? More info.

Old March 6th 13, 07:30 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
[email protected]

Default Kodalith Super RT developer??? More info.

On Tuesday, 4 August 1998 00:00:00 UTC-7, Tim Rudman wrote:
Guy,
Silverprint should be able to help you (you should have found their address
in the back of my book). You will have to pay postage though and I'm sure
you can get Fotospeed locally. You can mail them on
if you have probs.
You will find an explanation (brief) of pepper fogging in their
instructions. It is random chaotic infectious development caused by lowering
sulphite levels below a certain threshold by diluting the developer. It is
virtually confined to Sterling Lith paper, although you can get a similar
effect on Kodagraph Transtar TP5 if you abuse the dev badly enough! All the
factors which contribute to best lith effects - high dilution, old dev etc -
also do the same for pep. fog. - Sod's law!
It takes the form of little black dots 'sprinkled' over the print
The cure is to add 10% sod. sulphite to your dev. i.e. say 50gm anhydrous
to 500ml water. It keeps poorly but is cheap and also a good 'hypo clear'
agent, so worth having around. Add equivalent vol as part A or B (except
MACOlith, in which case part A) or a bit less.
It may help to add a similar vol of 10% pot. bromide. This enhances the anti
PF effect but shifts the colour a bit away from pink towards yellow. It may
also double your dev time!
Doing this also greatly reduces highlight and border fog on Kentona, Art
Classic and Tapestry.
There's a lot more detail in the next book but this should help for now.
Tim

e realisatie vzw wrote in message ...
Hi Tim,

Thank you so much for your reply. This really helps!
May I also congratulate you with your book "Master Printing Course". Not

many
darkroom books describe so many different toning and printing techniques in

clear way like you do! I would recommend this book to any serious darkroom
worker. And I can't wait to read your next book on lith printing.

In the meantime I received an address from a company in London (Silverprint
Ltd.) that seems to have all the stuff I need. (Thanks Mr. Richard Ross!)

Could you perhaps explain in short what this "pepper fogging" is that you
mention in your previous message?

Thanks again.

Guy.

Tim Rudman wrote:

Yes I can help you - I wrote the book to which you refer, - and you may

be
interested to hear that I have just completed a new book entirely on lith
printing. It will be out in November. I hope it will take you painlessly
from beginner to expert! I will be happy to give you (or others) more

info
if you want it, so I will try and keep an eye on this list for a while.

I can't give you a supplier of Super RT in Belgium, But I can give you
alternatives.

Fotospeed export a lot to Belgium - try their lith dev. LD20. It comes in
small quantities (500ml of A & B) and also contains instructions for lith
printing and more importantly it comes with additives to prevent pepper
fogging. This is a new problem affecting Sterling lith paper (Process

Lith
in my book - there was no Sterling UK at that time) Pepper fogging first
appeared a year or so after my book came out, But is easy to deal with

when
you know how.

You may also try Novolith from Champion. It comes in ! litre of A & B.

and
there is a new lith dev just coming onto the market - MACOlith, from Hans

Mahn in Hamburg. They are distributing throughout Europe.

Let me know if this helps. I have contacts in Belgium who may otherwise

be
able to help.

Tim Rudman.

or try Process Supplies London 13-25 Mount Pleasant London Ph. +44 207 8372179