Need help choosing. Anyone?

Old June 28th 04, 10:39 AM
Mat S

Default Need help choosing. Anyone?

I am in a jam between
Canon PowerShot A75
Olympus Camedia C725
Pentagram Photon 484 -anyone heard about this thing?

They cost similar money, each is different.
Any users out there?

--

Mat S

Old June 28th 04, 01:51 PM
Trevor Kearsey

Hi there,

I've had the A75 for about three weeks, and I am very impressed with
it's versatility. The only downside is the lack of RAW file support. But
other than that, it's a very well-recommended camera in that price range. If
you have any specific questions let me know. I'm using a 128mb CF card and a
set of Panasonic Quick Charge rechargable batteries and it's great. The
batteries it shipped with wore out very quick, but the panasonics seemed to
last at least three times as long.

trevor

Old June 28th 04, 02:57 PM
Mat S

Thanks for the opinion. Now I'll wait if any Olympus users bother to answer.
I like the 8x optical zoom feature of the C-725 and its big lens. Aside from
that, I'd pick the Canon...
I'm looking for someone who would say that the Olympus is at least as good.
If that doesn't happen - well, I'll get the Canon.

MS

Old June 28th 04, 03:19 PM
David J Taylor

"Mat S" wrote in message
Thanks for the opinion. Now I'll wait if any Olympus users bother to

answer.
I like the 8x optical zoom feature of the C-725 and its big lens. Aside

from
that, I'd pick the Canon...
I'm looking for someone who would say that the Olympus is at least as

good.
If that doesn't happen - well, I'll get the Canon.

MS

... or you could look at the Nikon Coolpix 8700 or one of the other 8MP
zoom caeras...

Cheers,
David

Old June 28th 04, 03:59 PM
Giorgio Preddio

"Mat S" wrote in message ...
I am in a jam between
Canon PowerShot A75
Olympus Camedia C725
Pentagram Photon 484 -anyone heard about this thing?

I wouldn't buy any of those cameras if I were you. Be aware that all
of them use outdated, dinosaur sensor technology. They record images
in monochrome instead of color. Only Sigma digital cameras record
images in color due to the highly acclaimed Foveon sensor. The Sigma
SD10 should be at the top of your list. You can't buy a better camera
in terms of image quality, build quality, ergonomics, lens/accessory
availability, and advanced features (such as built in camera-shake
elimination). Forget about those **** boxes you listed and buy
yourself the SD10.
Old June 28th 04, 04:32 PM

Giorgio,

You must realise that your repeated posting using such a crude address
will have put many people your precious camera.

Sigma have probably lost quite a few sales.

Old June 28th 04, 05:23 PM
bagal

here is 1 i prepared earlier :-)
Ok - I thought someone would have mentioned it already

I see that the Polaroid X530 with Foveon sensor is listed in UK catalogues
:-)

If you are new to the forum you may not realise the humour if I rename the
camera as the Paranoid X530 - it seems to be a consequence of using the
dreaded "F" word - a 6 letter one in this case.

There is another "F" word that is missing from your list - this time it is a
4-letter onw, Fuji (or Fuji FinePix) These are pretty good too IMHO

I would like to have a go on the Pranoid X530 to see if the claims & counter
claims hold (no explnation given here)

As for digital SLR (DSLR) I think I'll wait a year or 2 for further
evolutionary developments in sensor-lens-software-firmware enhancement.

If I have anything more to contribute it is: to get the most out of your
digital images you will need some software too. There is no need to pay 2
or 3 times the cost of your camera on industry standard software package
(BTW if digital imagery really does take off I'll expect to see a reduction
in PS CS due to wider consumer base switching from pro- industry- commerce-
base to include home users & amateurs in a non-commercial setup. I wonder
if Adobe reads this NG?)

Try IrfanView (a freebie by download or magazine cover disk), or software
from JASC, Roxio and I daresay many others as the spend on digital image
processing software increases)

Now, how about a non-commercial license from Adobe? restricted to homeusers
in a non-cemmercial basis? Or am I far too naive?

das B

ps - if you have a PC running Windows XP it makes things altogether easier
on the software-hardware-camera (-cardreader) linages. If not - wait until
Windows 64 bit appears - probably later thius year, runs on 64 bit chips

dB

Old June 28th 04, 06:08 PM
Phil Wheeler

Giorgio Preddio wrote:

"Mat S" wrote in message ...

I am in a jam between
Canon PowerShot A75
Olympus Camedia C725
Pentagram Photon 484 -anyone heard about this thing?

I wouldn't buy any of those cameras if I were you. Be aware that all
of them use outdated, dinosaur sensor technology. They record images
in monochrome instead of color. Only Sigma digital cameras record
images in color due to the highly acclaimed Foveon sensor. The Sigma
SD10 should be at the top of your list. You can't buy a better camera
in terms of image quality, build quality, ergonomics, lens/accessory
availability, and advanced features (such as built in camera-shake
elimination).

Not true, according to Phil Askey's review at dpreview. The SD-10 is
"Recommended". The Canons and the Nikon D70 are "Highly Recommended".

A no brainer: The Sigmas are not the best.

Phil