72 ppi? - Im confused.

Old December 17th 05, 04:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default 72 ppi? - Im confused.

Howdy all...kinda a noob question but here goes:

When I view properties of a jpg right out of my 8 meg camera, I see
3264x2448 image size and file size is 6.12 meg...but Photoshop tells me it's
at 72 ppi?

Now if that's true and I need to use this image for printed matter and the
printer wants 150-300 how do I do that? I know you can't increase the ppi.

I'm confused right?

TIA,

Crash

Old December 17th 05, 04:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Crash Gordon wrote:
Howdy all...kinda a noob question but here goes:

When I view properties of a jpg right out of my 8 meg camera, I see
3264x2448 image size and file size is 6.12 meg...but Photoshop tells me it's
at 72 ppi?

Now if that's true and I need to use this image for printed matter and the
printer wants 150-300 how do I do that? I know you can't increase the ppi.

I'm confused right?

Sure you can increase the ppi, in Photoshop uncheck the box that says
Resample Image, then change your resolution from say 72 to 300. The
number of pixels stays the same but the size of the image in inches (or
cm) goes down. The image is the same but you have resized how large it
will print out.

Now if you send the photo out to be printed they will no pay attention
to the ppi in any event.

Scott

Old December 17th 05, 04:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Crash Gordon wrote:
Howdy all...kinda a noob question but here goes:

When I view properties of a jpg right out of my 8 meg camera, I see
3264x2448 image size and file size is 6.12 meg...but Photoshop tells me it's
at 72 ppi?

Now if that's true and I need to use this image for printed matter and the
printer wants 150-300 how do I do that? I know you can't increase the ppi.

I'm confused right?

TIA,

Crash

EASY - ImageImage Size - un-check resample and type in the print size
(leave "constrain" checked and type just one side of print desired) PS
will fill in the PPI for that size print for you as well as the other
dimension.

Hope this helps,
Dave
Old December 17th 05, 04:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

On Sat, 17 Dec 2005 09:18:54 -0700, "Crash Gordon"
wrote:

Howdy all...kinda a noob question but here goes:

When I view properties of a jpg right out of my 8 meg camera, I see
3264x2448 image size and file size is 6.12 meg...but Photoshop tells me it's
at 72 ppi?

Now if that's true and I need to use this image for printed matter and the
printer wants 150-300 how do I do that? I know you can't increase the ppi.

I'm confused right?

TIA,

Crash

Not to worry. That is just the monitor display resolution.
Look at the size of the image in inches and it will be very large.
Uncheck resample and enter the print size and the resolution will go
up.
Old December 17th 05, 04:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Crash Gordon wrote:
Howdy all...kinda a noob question but here goes:

When I view properties of a jpg right out of my 8 meg camera, I see
3264x2448 image size and file size is 6.12 meg...but Photoshop tells me it's
at 72 ppi?

Now if that's true and I need to use this image for printed matter and the
printer wants 150-300 how do I do that? I know you can't increase the ppi.

I'm confused right?

Right. :-)

The ppi value is meaningless until you print, since a digital image
obviously does not have "pixels per inch". The ppi value is a hint
to the printer and can be set to whatever makes sense. I have no
idea how you set it in Photoshop. If I wanted to find out I'd ask
Google first. If that didn't work, I'd check my documentation.

Good luck!

Paul Allen
Old December 17th 05, 05:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Paul Allen wrote:
Crash Gordon wrote:

Howdy all...kinda a noob question but here goes:

When I view properties of a jpg right out of my 8 meg camera, I see
3264x2448 image size and file size is 6.12 meg...but Photoshop tells
me it's at 72 ppi?

Now if that's true and I need to use this image for printed matter and
the printer wants 150-300 how do I do that? I know you can't increase
the ppi.

I'm confused right?

Right. :-)

The ppi value is meaningless until you print, since a digital image
obviously does not have "pixels per inch". The ppi value is a hint
to the printer and can be set to whatever makes sense. I have no
idea how you set it in Photoshop. If I wanted to find out I'd ask
Google first. If that didn't work, I'd check my documentation.

Good luck!

Paul Allen

Like you say, the ppi is just a hint. I haven't used any program that
relies on it. The printing program will scale the image to whatever
output size is used.
Old December 17th 05, 06:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

"Crash Gordon" wrote in message
Howdy all...kinda a noob question but here goes:

When I view properties of a jpg right out of my 8 meg camera, I see
3264x2448 image size and file size is 6.12 meg...but Photoshop tells me
it's
at 72 ppi?

Now if that's true and I need to use this image for printed matter and the
printer wants 150-300 how do I do that? I know you can't increase the ppi.

I'm confused right?

TIA,

Crash

Yes, indeed, you are confused. When you look at the 72 ppi in the "Image
Size" window, notice the dimensions of the image. They will be in the
neighborhood of 44"x60", IIRC. Click off the "Resample" box, and convert
the smaller dimension to 8". You should then have an 8x12 at 292 ppi, which
is the same resolution as the one you mention, the "native" res. of the
camera.

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

Old December 17th 05, 08:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

"John H" wrote in message
Not to worry. That is just the monitor display resolution.

It's not even that...

Martin

Old December 17th 05, 08:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

In article , Crash Gordon
writes
Howdy all...kinda a noob question but here goes:

When I view properties of a jpg right out of my 8 meg camera, I see
3264x2448 image size and file size is 6.12 meg...but Photoshop tells me it's
at 72 ppi?

Now if that's true and I need to use this image for printed matter and the
printer wants 150-300 how do I do that? I know you can't increase the ppi.

I'm confused right?

Very, the printer is dots per inch, not pixels; you really want more
than one dot per pixel to get a good rendition.

--
Ian G8ILZ
Old December 17th 05, 10:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

ok cool I got it.

thanks