Confused

Old October 27th 04, 05:03 PM
Hoyt Weathers

Default Confused

For my new Nikon Coolpix 4100, which should arrive on Thursday, I wanted a Lexar 1
gig SF card. I ordered it, I thought. What is being shipped today is this:

Lexar Media 1 GB Secure Digital Memory Card (SD1GB-231)

What bothers me is that I've heard of thicker cards which will not fit into the SF
slot. I am worried about the SD prefix above.

Questions:

1. Is the above actually an SF card, just with another name?
2. Will it fit into my Nikon Coolpix 4100?

Thank you,
Hoyt W.

Old October 27th 04, 05:14 PM
Renee

"Hoyt Weathers" wrote in message
For my new Nikon Coolpix 4100, which should arrive on Thursday, I wanted a
Lexar 1
gig SF card. I ordered it, I thought. What is being shipped today is this:

Lexar Media 1 GB Secure Digital Memory Card (SD1GB-231)

What bothers me is that I've heard of thicker cards which will not fit
into the SF
slot. I am worried about the SD prefix above.

Questions:

1. Is the above actually an SF card, just with another name?
2. Will it fit into my Nikon Coolpix 4100?

Thank you,
Hoyt W.

The Nikon Coolpix 4100 takes an SD, Secure Digital card. The camera has an
SD, not SF slot. Looks like you have the ordered correctly.

I don't know what an SF card. Never heard of it. Are you confusing that with
a CF, Compact Flash card, which your camera does not take?

Old October 27th 04, 05:49 PM
Hoyt Weathers

Renee wrote:

[...]

I was badly in error. I just reread the spec info for the Nikon Coolpix 4100. It
says, in part, in Product Description: "SD card slot (no SD card included)".

So, what is coming anon is what I want. Period

I am now as happy as a pig in mud.

Hoyt W.

Old October 27th 04, 05:58 PM
Drifter

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 11:03:09 -0500, Hoyt Weathers
wrote:

For my new Nikon Coolpix 4100, which should arrive on Thursday, I wanted a Lexar 1
gig SF card. I ordered it, I thought. What is being shipped today is this:

Lexar Media 1 GB Secure Digital Memory Card (SD1GB-231)

What bothers me is that I've heard of thicker cards which will not fit into the SF
slot. I am worried about the SD prefix above.

Questions:

1. Is the above actually an SF card, just with another name?
2. Will it fit into my Nikon Coolpix 4100?

Thank you,
Hoyt W.

What the hell is an SF card?
The Nikon Coolpix 4100 takes an SD (Secure Digital) card.

Drifter
"I've been here, I've been there..."
Old October 27th 04, 08:14 PM
Linda_N

"Renee" wrote in message

I don't know what an SF card. Never heard of it.

Science Fictional, or Seriously Fictional, or Somebody Fypoed.

Linda

Old October 28th 04, 01:26 AM
George E. Cawthon

Hoyt Weathers wrote:

Renee wrote:

[...]

Ain't old age fun? For your information, the standard cards are CF,
SD, and XD cards. Be thankful you don't have XD which is about twice
the price of the other two. But 1 Gig?
That card will contain about 500 pictures saved full size at the fine
level. Good for long trips, but I usually down load at about 100
pictures or less because I can't wait to see whether or not they are
any good.
Old October 28th 04, 01:38 AM
Ken Weitzel

George E. Cawthon wrote:

Hoyt Weathers wrote:

Renee wrote:

[...]

Hi...

There's another quantity reducing capability over film
on those long trips that's not quite so obvious too...

When you're on one, and beginning to run out of storage,
you can go through the ones you've got and even using the
lcd weed out the "eyes closed" pics (I'm the world champ
at that) and the out of focus/finger in front ot the lens/
out of focus ones. Recover the space.

Ken

Old October 28th 04, 03:01 AM
Hoyt Weathers

Ken Weitzel wrote:

George E. Cawthon wrote:

Hoyt Weathers wrote:

Renee wrote:

[...]

While I am at it, I have another question for all of use guys. Ken you triggered it.
The Nikon Coolpix 4100 has 14.8 megs, or thereabouts, of memory. With a 1 gig SD card
installed, will the camera record a pix into the camera's memory first and/or into
the SD card? IOW, what is the pecking order? Splain that tummy.
Hoyt W.

Old October 28th 04, 12:47 PM
Jer

Hoyt Weathers wrote:

While I am at it, I have another question for all of use guys. Ken you triggered it.
The Nikon Coolpix 4100 has 14.8 megs, or thereabouts, of memory. With a 1 gig SD card
installed, will the camera record a pix into the camera's memory first and/or into
the SD card? IOW, what is the pecking order? Splain that tummy.
Hoyt W.

All digital cameras have internal memory for a temporary buffer, which
is used to write to the storage card.

--
jer email reply - I am not a 'ten'