Opinions on P&S

Old December 27th 07, 08:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Matt Ion

Default Opinions on P&S

So the wife wants a nice little compact P&S... she's pretty much
narrowed her choices down to the Canon SD1000 or the Sony DSCT70. Both
are similar specs (7.1MP), similar price.

Plus for the Canon: uses SD memory, of which I already have several
cards. Plus for the Sony: she likes the look and the fact she can get
it in pink to match her RAZR phone rolls eyes.

Minus to both: proprietary rechargeable batteries, which seems to be
pretty much the only option to anything in this thin form-factor.

I know it's probably crazy asking in here, but I'm gonna solicit
opinions on one or the other of these two. I'll be sitting over in the
corner in my rose-colored shades and asbestos undies....
Old December 27th 07, 08:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mr. Strat

In article __Tcj.21830$DP1.6252@pd7urf2no, Matt Ion
wrote:

So the wife wants a nice little compact P&S... she's pretty much
narrowed her choices down to the Canon SD1000 or the Sony DSCT70. Both
are similar specs (7.1MP), similar price.

When possible, avoid Sony products.
Old December 27th 07, 09:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David J Taylor[_4_]

Matt Ion wrote:
So the wife wants a nice little compact P&S... she's pretty much
narrowed her choices down to the Canon SD1000 or the Sony DSCT70. Both
are similar specs (7.1MP), similar price.

Plus for the Canon: uses SD memory, of which I already have several
cards. Plus for the Sony: she likes the look and the fact she can get
it in pink to match her RAZR phone rolls eyes.

Minus to both: proprietary rechargeable batteries, which seems to be
pretty much the only option to anything in this thin form-factor.

I know it's probably crazy asking in here, but I'm gonna solicit
opinions on one or the other of these two. I'll be sitting over in
the corner in my rose-colored shades and asbestos undies....

I like the Panasonic TZ3, but perhaps that's little big?

David

Old December 27th 07, 10:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alfred Molon[_4_]

In article __Tcj.21830$DP1.6252@pd7urf2no, Matt Ion says...

Plus for the Canon: uses SD memory, of which I already have several
cards. Plus for the Sony: she likes the look and the fact she can get
it in pink to match her RAZR phone rolls eyes.

Take the Sony. The cost for an additional memory card is irrelevant -
should be in the 10-20 Euro range.
--

Alfred Molon
Old December 27th 07, 10:11 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Matt Ion

David J Taylor wrote:

I like the Panasonic TZ3, but perhaps that's little big?

Yeah, she looked at a couple that were "thicker" like that but didn't
like them. She's already got a Fuji S7000 that she likes for
usefulness, but not for size - she's looking for the really thin type
that she can slip in her purse.
Old December 27th 07, 10:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ray

On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 20:34:02 +0000, Matt Ion wrote:

So the wife wants a nice little compact P&S... she's pretty much
narrowed her choices down to the Canon SD1000 or the Sony DSCT70. Both
are similar specs (7.1MP), similar price.

Plus for the Canon: uses SD memory, of which I already have several
cards. Plus for the Sony: she likes the look and the fact she can get
it in pink to match her RAZR phone rolls eyes.

Minus to both: proprietary rechargeable batteries, which seems to be
pretty much the only option to anything in this thin form-factor.

I know it's probably crazy asking in here, but I'm gonna solicit
opinions on one or the other of these two. I'll be sitting over in the
corner in my rose-colored shades and asbestos undies....

My choice would be for something else since I eschew all things Canon and
won't buy anything that uses proprietary cards.

Old December 27th 07, 11:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Matt Ion

Matt Ion wrote:
So the wife wants a nice little compact P&S... she's pretty much
narrowed her choices down to the Canon SD1000 or the Sony DSCT70. Both
are similar specs (7.1MP), similar price.

Plus for the Canon: uses SD memory, of which I already have several
cards. Plus for the Sony: she likes the look and the fact she can get
it in pink to match her RAZR phone rolls eyes.

Minus to both: proprietary rechargeable batteries, which seems to be
pretty much the only option to anything in this thin form-factor.

I know it's probably crazy asking in here, but I'm gonna solicit
opinions on one or the other of these two. I'll be sitting over in the
corner in my rose-colored shades and asbestos undies....

Alright, while I appreciate the thought behind the alternate
suggestions, the choice really has already been narrowed down to these
two - she's visited several stores, looked at numerous different brands,
models and styles, tested the ones she could, and come down to these two.

So far I have one response from someone who won't touch Canon anything,
and another who avoids Sony like the plague, with neither giving any
particularly useful information. Thanks for nothing, jackasses.
Old December 28th 07, 12:40 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
John Navas[_2_]

On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 23:59:15 GMT, Matt Ion wrote
in n%Wcj.22352$vd4.20221@pd7urf1no:

Matt Ion wrote:
[...]

I personally think either one would make a good choice.

--
Best regards,
John Navas
Old December 28th 07, 01:21 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Matt Ion

Matt Ion wrote:
[...]

I agree, which is why I was hoping someone would be able to present some
INFORMED opinions on either one. I mean, I'm a Canon guy, personally -
I have a 35mm Rebel G and a 300D Digital Rebel and a number of lenses
and accessories - but in this case I'm leaning a little more toward the
Sony P&S (and again, she likes the color options).

Old December 28th 07, 01:55 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
ray

On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 23:59:15 +0000, Matt Ion wrote:

Matt Ion wrote:
[...]

You're quite welcome. I did not know that you would be particularly
interested in my motives. I eschew everything Canon because of their
abysmal lack of support for anything Linux. HP and Epson have much better
support, so I patronize them. I also have two Kodak digital cameras of
disparate vintages and my wife uses a Nikon. I still, also, avoid
proprietary memory cards - that rules out a lot of Sony, Fuji and Olympus
models.