rechargeable AA NiMH instead of disposable AA lithium in Kodak Z712?

Old December 21st 07, 05:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital, sci.chem.electrochem.battery
[email protected]

Default rechargeable AA NiMH instead of disposable AA lithium in Kodak Z712?

Hi.

Has anyone tried using rechargable AA NiMH batteries in a Kodak Z712
camera, please?
It takes AA lithium batteries, but those are disposable.
It also takes a KLIC-8000 battery, but those seem _much_ more
expensive.

I expect the NiMH to not last as long, but at least it is rechargable
and cheaper.

Thanks,
Felipe.
Old December 21st 07, 09:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital, sci.chem.electrochem.battery
[email protected]

On Dec 21, 2:08 pm, Ted Edwards wrote:
wrote:
Has anyone tried using rechargable AA NiMH batteries in a Kodak Z712
camera, please?
It takes AA lithium batteries, but those are disposable.
It also takes a KLIC-8000 battery, but those seem _much_ more
expensive.

I expect the NiMH to not last as long, but at least it is rechargable
and cheaper.

I do not know that camera but I have used and am using NiMH AA cells in
a Kodak, a Fuji and now a Canon digital camera as well as my GPS and AAA
cells in several LED flashlights with no problems.

I assume that lithium is the recommended battery type for the devices
you mention, and that you tried NiMH is spite of that recommendation,
right?
Kodak states that only lithium batteries can be used in my camera. I
wonder if I could damage the camera trying NiMH on it.

Thanks,
Felipe.
Old December 21st 07, 11:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Raoul

On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 09:13:53 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

Hi.

Has anyone tried using rechargable AA NiMH batteries in a Kodak Z712
camera, please?
It takes AA lithium batteries, but those are disposable.
It also takes a KLIC-8000 battery, but those seem _much_ more
expensive.

I expect the NiMH to not last as long, but at least it is rechargable
and cheaper.

Thanks,
Felipe.

I use AA NiMH batteries in my Z712. They work fine, but I would not
use them as a primary power source. Get a KLIC-8000 or one of the less
expensive imitations and save the AAs for those days when you are
shooting a lot of photos. On a recent trip to Disney World, the
KLIC-8000 copy I used lasted for at least half the day. I then went
through 4 pairs of AA cells during the rest of the day.

If you already own some AA batteries, use them. But don't spend money
on them instead of buying a Li-Ion battery.
Old December 22nd 07, 01:50 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,sci.chem.electrochem.battery
[email protected]

wrote:

Hi.

Has anyone tried using rechargable AA NiMH batteries in a Kodak Z712
camera, please?
It takes AA lithium batteries, but those are disposable.
It also takes a KLIC-8000 battery, but those seem _much_ more
expensive.

I expect the NiMH to not last as long, but at least it is rechargable
and cheaper.

Thanks,
Felipe.

NIMH compared to Lithium

The problem is that the cameras low voltage indicator and shut
down are designed for the higher voltage lithium's that pretty much
maintain a higher voltage until the are mostly depleted.

The NIMH battery starts at a lower voltage. That lower voltage should
be the low voltage warning for the lithium's. If you do use the NIMH
they would have to be freshly charged so that they would be above
the 1.25 nominal voltage. The best you could expect is to see is the
low voltage indicator come on soon and the camera shut down before the
capacity of the NIMH battery is depleted.

Other Kodak cameras would have a switch so that the calibration
of the voltage sensor/shutdown could be selected between
Alkaline,Lithium / NIMH
Old December 22nd 07, 03:04 AM posted to rec.photo.digital, sci.chem.electrochem.battery
[email protected]

Thanks a lot for the info guys, especially Raoul and Ted. I'm going to
use the NiMH AA I already have while I look for a cheaper KLIC-8000
imitation -- perhaps on boxing day.

Just for the record, this is the official response from Kodak. It's a
pitty that such otherwise respected company throws in what seems pure
FUD tactic:
No, you may not use any "rechargeable AA NiMH
batteries" with your camera since this is not a
recommended battery type. You may only use the
Kodak Lithium Digital Camera Battery CRV3 and the
Kodak Li-Ion Rechargeable Digital Camera Battery
KLIC-8000.
the manual says the Z712 can take AA lithium
batteries. Can I use rechargable AA NiMH batteries
in my z712? Even if they last less than the lithium
batteries, at least they are rechargable.

Felipe.
Old December 22nd 07, 03:41 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,sci.chem.electrochem.battery
Jan Nademlejnsky

You are wasting money if you are not using rechargeable batteries. Try to
buy one with the highest power number shown in mAh (0.001 Ampere/hour).
Check eBay. AA batteries are these days at 2700 mAh and they last very long.
Buy two sets; one in camera and the other set in bag to use when needed.
Charge them only when necessary. Battery usually will not take more than
1000 charges per their life. They should last about 3 years when charges
every 3rd day. It will be significantly less when you plug it in every
occasion like phone or PDA into charger.
I have many cameras and I never ever used non-rechargeable batteries. I have
over 22,000 pictures in my albums.
Jan