Buying Xmas Present for Mum. Canon P&S?

Old December 8th 07, 09:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ali[_3_]

Default Buying Xmas Present for Mum. Canon P&S?

Hi all

I am looking to buy a P&S for my mum for Christmas and although I know a
fair bit about photography, ironically I have absolutely no idea when it
comes to P&S cameras!

I am looking for something that is from a reputable manufacturer, fairly
small, decent photos straight out of the camera, nice looking and especially
easy to use. Being a long term Canon fan I have seen the Canon IXUS 75 that
I quite like the look of, which are about £150.

Anyone used this camera, or similar cameras? What are they like? What is
the shutter lag, startup time, battery life, etc. like? Easy to use?

(Sorry, I don't know what it's called in the US, maybe the PowerShot SD750?)

Old December 8th 07, 10:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ali[_3_]

She's 55, but you are quite right, thanks for pointing that out. She is
great at many things, but technology isn't her strong point. It will
literally be zoom in and out, and press the button.

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message

I don't know about your mom, but I would make a suggestion. Most older
folk and the very young as well, are more comfortable with LARGER cameras
with few, but larger buttons and controls and especially a large easy to
use bight clear viewfinder. The camera that might be great for you may
well be all wrong for your mother. Of course if your mother is 40 years
old this is not as likely to be an issue, if she is 70 is almost certainly
a big issue.

Old December 8th 07, 10:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Frank ess

Wake up, Meehan: "most" is half of /all/ plus one; how do you know?

Where does your " ... if she is 70 ... " come from? I know and know of
/hundreds/ of seventy-and-olders with whom big buttons are definitely
/not/ an issue.

--
Frank ess

Old December 9th 07, 12:55 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
ray

On Sat, 08 Dec 2007 21:23:38 +0000, Ali wrote:

She's 55, but you are quite right, thanks for pointing that out. She is
great at many things, but technology isn't her strong point. It will
literally be zoom in and out, and press the button.

No offense, but if "technology isn't her strong point" are you sure a
digital camera is a great idea? They are obviously of most use when you
can connect to a computer, download, edit, print, etc. At the very least
she would have to submit the cards somewhere to have them printed, then
format for next batch.

Old December 9th 07, 01:08 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
iws

"Ali" wrote in message
Hi all

I am looking to buy a P&S for my mum for Christmas and although I know a
fair bit about photography, ironically I have absolutely no idea when it
comes to P&S cameras!

I am looking for something that is from a reputable manufacturer, fairly
small, decent photos straight out of the camera, nice looking and
especially easy to use. Being a long term Canon fan I have seen the Canon
IXUS 75 that I quite like the look of, which are about £150.

Anyone used this camera, or similar cameras? What are they like? What is
the shutter lag, startup time, battery life, etc. like? Easy to use?

(Sorry, I don't know what it's called in the US, maybe the PowerShot
SD750?)

You might consider the Powershot A570is (US model name). I ordered one for
my partner who likes taking pictures but is not into the hobby that much. He
uses an old 35 mm Minolta P&S which still takes fine pictures but he wants a
digital now. I got one from Staples.com for $149.95 after $30 coupon and
free shipping. The A570IS is a little larger but uses AA batteries and has
optical image stabilization which may be of interest to your mum.

Old December 9th 07, 01:09 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron Hunter

Ali wrote:
Hi all

I am looking to buy a P&S for my mum for Christmas and although I know a
fair bit about photography, ironically I have absolutely no idea when it
comes to P&S cameras!

I am looking for something that is from a reputable manufacturer, fairly
small, decent photos straight out of the camera, nice looking and
especially easy to use. Being a long term Canon fan I have seen the
Canon IXUS 75 that I quite like the look of, which are about £150.

Anyone used this camera, or similar cameras? What are they like? What
is the shutter lag, startup time, battery life, etc. like? Easy to use?

(Sorry, I don't know what it's called in the US, maybe the PowerShot
SD750?)

Generally speaking, Kodak comes out on top of the 'easy to use' contest.
However, I am sure if you stick to the 'consumer models' of the
Canon line, such as the A560, she will be more than pleased with it.
After all, most people just set it to 'auto', and snap away.
Old December 9th 07, 01:10 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron Hunter

Ali wrote:
She's 55, but you are quite right, thanks for pointing that out. She is
great at many things, but technology isn't her strong point. It will
literally be zoom in and out, and press the button.

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message

I don't know about your mom, but I would make a suggestion. Most
older folk and the very young as well, are more comfortable with
LARGER cameras with few, but larger buttons and controls and
especially a large easy to use bight clear viewfinder. The camera
that might be great for you may well be all wrong for your mother. Of
course if your mother is 40 years old this is not as likely to be an
issue, if she is 70 is almost certainly a big issue.

That puts her ahead of my wife, who can't seem to understand the zoom on
her camera.... Sigh.

Old December 9th 07, 01:11 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron Hunter

ray wrote:
On Sat, 08 Dec 2007 21:23:38 +0000, Ali wrote:

She's 55, but you are quite right, thanks for pointing that out. She is
great at many things, but technology isn't her strong point. It will
literally be zoom in and out, and press the button.

No offense, but if "technology isn't her strong point" are you sure a
digital camera is a great idea? They are obviously of most use when you
can connect to a computer, download, edit, print, etc. At the very least
she would have to submit the cards somewhere to have them printed, then
format for next batch.

And she wouldn't have to take film to the SAME PLACE to get it developed
and printed? Your argument doesn't hold any water.
Old December 9th 07, 01:23 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
iws

"Ron Hunter" wrote in message
snip
After all, most people just set it to 'auto', and snap away.

Exactly! I suggested the A570 IS rather than the A560 for its addition of
image stabilization at little extra cost.

Old December 9th 07, 02:46 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
ray

On Sat, 08 Dec 2007 18:11:31 -0600, Ron Hunter wrote:

ray wrote:
On Sat, 08 Dec 2007 21:23:38 +0000, Ali wrote:

She's 55, but you are quite right, thanks for pointing that out. She is
great at many things, but technology isn't her strong point. It will
literally be zoom in and out, and press the button.

No offense, but if "technology isn't her strong point" are you sure a
digital camera is a great idea? They are obviously of most use when you
can connect to a computer, download, edit, print, etc. At the very least
she would have to submit the cards somewhere to have them printed, then
format for next batch.

And she wouldn't have to take film to the SAME PLACE to get it developed
and printed? Your argument doesn't hold any water.

I think the film operation might actually be simpler. At any rate, it
would be less strenuous for a technophobe.