battery question

Old September 30th 04, 06:31 PM
frankg

Default battery question

my Minolta Flashmeter/lightmeter uses S76 Eveready or V76 Varta batteries -
I cant see the volt designation on the batteries and I need to replace them.
Watch/calculator button cell 1.5 volts are readily available here and they
are the same physical size - can anyone tell me if the voltage is too high
or if I could damage the meter in some other way by not using the 76
batteries ?

--
xx

Old September 30th 04, 09:22 PM
Alan Browne

http://groups.google.ca/groups?q=min...sa=G&scoring=d

same vector: http://tinyurl.com/6qskc

Old September 30th 04, 10:37 PM
frankg

I looked at all the links on that page but none appear to address the
question - am i missing something ?

--
xx
"Alan Browne" wrote in message
frankg wrote:

my Minolta Flashmeter/lightmeter uses S76 Eveready or V76 Varta

batteries -
I cant see the volt designation on the batteries and I need to replace

them.
Watch/calculator button cell 1.5 volts are readily available here and

they
are the same physical size - can anyone tell me if the voltage is too

high
or if I could damage the meter in some other way by not using the 76
batteries ?

http://groups.google.ca/groups?q=min...TF-8&group=rec.
photo.equipment.35mm&sa=G&scoring=d

same vector: http://tinyurl.com/6qskc

Old September 30th 04, 11:23 PM
Joseph Meehan

frankg wrote:
my Minolta Flashmeter/lightmeter uses S76 Eveready or V76 Varta
batteries -
I cant see the volt designation on the batteries and I need to replace
them.
Watch/calculator button cell 1.5 volts are readily available here and they
are the same physical size - can anyone tell me if the voltage is too
high
or if I could damage the meter in some other way by not using the 76
batteries ?

The S-76 was a silver oxide battery of 1.35V nominal as I recall. It
was used in many many camera and camera accessories The problem is you can't
just match the size of nominal voltage. The voltage under load changes and
can cause exposure problems by using a different battery.

The original battery is no longer available (I believe) due to
restrictions on the hazardous chemicals used.

There is a lot of information, some good some not so good and
replacement batteries, some good some not so good) around. You might try

http://medfmt.8k.com/bronbattery.html

It seems to have a lot of good information.

Good Luck.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Old October 1st 04, 12:15 AM
ColynG©

On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 13:31:50 -0400, "frankg"
wrote:

my Minolta Flashmeter/lightmeter uses S76 Eveready or V76 Varta batteries -
I cant see the volt designation on the batteries and I need to replace them.
Watch/calculator button cell 1.5 volts are readily available here and they
are the same physical size - can anyone tell me if the voltage is too high
or if I could damage the meter in some other way by not using the 76
batteries ?

The s76 is a 1.55v cell. It is also the same cell as the eveready 357.

Don't use the a76 1.5v cells they are alkaline and don't have the same
voltage properties as the silver oxide s76/357 cells..

Colyn Goodson
http://home.swbell.net/colyng
http://www.colyngoodson.com

Old October 1st 04, 12:19 AM
ColynG©

On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 22:23:50 GMT, "Joseph Meehan"
wrote:

The S-76 was a silver oxide battery of 1.35V nominal as I recall.

The s76 is 1.55v. The no longer available mercury 675 which is nearly
identical in size was 1.35v..

The silver oxide cells (s76/357) are readily available with no
restrictions..

Colyn Goodson
http://home.swbell.net/colyng
http://www.colyngoodson.com

Old October 1st 04, 12:32 AM
frankg

Don't use the a76 1.5v cells they are alkaline and don't have the same
voltage properties as the silver oxide s76/357 cells..

Using the alkaline LR44 (1.5v) could cause damage or inaccurate exposure
read-outs ?