D800 real world images. Did Dpreview wipe the ISO on purpose in this image?

Old March 22nd 12, 11:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
[email protected]

Default D800 real world images. Did Dpreview wipe the ISO on purpose in this image?

On Thu, 22 Mar 2012 14:17:57 -0700 (PDT), RichA wrote:

Some of the images look good. Noise, IMO, is pretty well-controlled.
At 1600 ISO, you see colour speckling you don't see with cameras like
the D3s, but this has 3x the pixel count.
But, the image below for some reason has no ISO indication that I can
see. I'd guess it's about 6400.

http://masters.galleries.dpreview.co... bLcpwwwSqk%3d

Nikon doesn't follow the "rules" for EXIF very well. They use "other areas" to
append data in some way. On some of my Nikons, (mostly the D90), and in some of
my software, the EXIF doesn't show the ISO if I set it to the higher numbers.
Some software is better at finding it than others. If I really want to know the
EXIF I use Nikon View to see it.

The following is an Exif copied to clipboard by Irfanview... no ISO is shown, it
was 6400. (scroll down for another example)

Make - NIKON CORPORATION
Model - NIKON D90
Orientation - Top left
XResolution - 300
YResolution - 300
ResolutionUnit - Inch
Software - Ver.1.00
DateTime - 2009:06:06 12:45:30
YCbCrPositioning - Co-Sited
ExifOffset - 228
GPSInfo - 34672
ExposureTime - 10/1250 seconds
FNumber - 8.00
ExposureProgram - Aperture priority
ExifVersion - 221
DateTimeOriginal - 2009:06:06 12:45:30
DateTimeDigitized - 2009:06:06 12:45:30
ComponentsConfiguration - YCbCr
CompressedBitsPerPixel - 4 (bits/pixel)
ExposureBiasValue - 0.00
MaxApertureValue - F 2.83
MeteringMode - Multi-segment
LightSource - Auto
Flash - Not fired
FocalLength - 60.00 mm
UserComment - PHOTO BY BOB FLINT
SubsecTime - 808452096
SubsecTimeOriginal - 808452096
SubsecTimeDigitized - 808452096
FlashPixVersion - 010
ColorSpace - sRGB
ExifImageWidth - 4288
ExifImageHeight - 2848
InteroperabilityOffset - 34640
SensingMethod - One-chip color area sensor
FileSource - Other
SceneType - Other
CustomRendered - Normal process
ExposureMode - Auto
WhiteBalance - Manual
DigitalZoomRatio - 1 x
FocalLengthIn35mmFilm - 90 mm
SceneCaptureType - Standard
GainControl - High gain up
Contrast - Normal
Saturation - Normal
Sharpness - Normal
SubjectDistanceRange - Unknown

Maker Note (Vendor): -

In this next photo, the ISO is shown!!

File: - F:\PHOTOGRAPHIC---\!_Nikon_D90\2009\06_(Jun)-768\DSC_0349.JPG

Make - NIKON CORPORATION
Model - NIKON D90
Orientation - Top left
XResolution - 300
YResolution - 300
ResolutionUnit - Inch
Software - Ver.1.00
DateTime - 2009:06:04 15:55:31
YCbCrPositioning - Co-Sited
ExifOffset - 228
GPSInfo - 36068
ExposureTime - 10/2500 seconds
FNumber - 8.00
ExposureProgram - Aperture priority
ISOSpeedRatings - 200
ExifVersion - 221

-snip-

Old March 23rd 12, 12:59 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Floyd L. Davidson

wrote:
On Thu, 22 Mar 2012 14:17:57 -0700 (PDT), RichA wrote:
http://masters.galleries.dpreview.co... bLcpwwwSqk%3d

Access denied.

Nikon doesn't follow the "rules" for EXIF very well. They use "other areas" to
append data in some way. On some of my Nikons, (mostly the D90), and in some of
my software, the EXIF doesn't show the ISO if I set it to the higher numbers.
Some software is better at finding it than others. If I really want to know the
EXIF I use Nikon View to see it.

The following is an Exif copied to clipboard by Irfanview... no ISO is shown, it
was 6400. (scroll down for another example)

Appropriate software doesn't seem to have any problem.
Phil Harvey's /exiftool/ is probably the premier Exif
display tool.

--
Floyd L. Davidson http://www.apaflo.com/
Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)